Wrangled!

mysta2

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Thanks for the Jeep input to everyone that posted in that thread. I've made my decision, and about half an hour ago picked up this:

grasshopper2.jpg

I must admit that the JKs don't have quite as cool a look as the TJs, but if I want to drive her every day it was the way to go. I've wanted one since I was a kid and the day has come. She's lived on Hawaii for most of her life so she's got a bit of an orange salt air glow (an island tan you might say) all over to take care of. I sold my full size van to a neighbor, and he offered to let me use it whenever I needed, so good news there too.

Very excited!

I'm right behind you brother. I will be picking one up after we move to our new place in September.

I'm tempted to put a big white vinyl star on the hood... it's so stock, and its the perfect color for it.

Niiice! My bro had an '07 Sahara for a while. Mild suspension lift and a set of wheels/tires set them off really nice.
His was a third vehicle, so I was able to take it almost at will. Lotsa fun with the doors and top off ;)

I've never seen so much star drive in my life I need another set of tools

Mysta- have you checked out 4wdHardware and Quadratec yet? Just wanted to make sure......

And don't worry about all those star drives- in about 5 years they will rust solid and snap right off!

:D

Learned some things this morning driving into work with the doors and everything else off. First of all it's awesome, almost rivals the bikes since I can do it in shorts and no helmet. I need zippered pocket shorts (phone's usually in my left front pocket), and you can't drink anything out of a can at highway speeds... it was sprinkling RedBull this morning.

Oh, and I found a valet claim check from The Koa Kea hotel and resort under the carpet, so I guess it's spent most of it's life on in Koloa.

Big Rich said:
Mysta- have you checked out 4wdHardware and Quadratec yet? Just wanted to make sure......

And don't worry about all those star drives- in about 5 years they will rust solid and snap right off!

:D

Yeah, I'm looking for a hardtop for it, don't know which way to go yet, Keystone makes a nice looking 2 piece, and Mopar makes a 3 piece. I don't care between 2 and 3 piece, but quality matters and they're both roughly the same price. The Mopar does come in Khaki though which is kind of the direction I'm leaning.

Also, I miss side view mirrors. Need to get some peepers to mount on the pillars.

They make a body mount kit for the mirrors, my bro had them on his '07.

Those body mounts can be a pita: when the mirrors are mounted to the windshield frame, the doors bump them when opened. But I was too lazy to keep switching the mirrors from the doors to the body.........

That was on my TJ too- hopefully that's changed on the JK.

Update ;D

Still loving the jeep, on sunny days when I don't have to pick up the kiddo, I usually end up choosing it over the 360 (even with gas what it is)

Anyway, this is her yesterday when she got new shoes:

new_shoes.jpg

I think I've abandoned the idea of a hardtop, since I don't mind the soft top and the hardtop would cause significant storage issues most of the year. I chopped the first eight inches of the frame off in favor of a bumper idea I have not fabbed yet (much like the one on the Jeep "lower 40"). Picked up a set of springs off a 4 door from a local JKO member which lifted me about 2 inches in the front and 1.25 in the back, then the 33s added another 2in. I' tried driving my 1 year old daughter home from daycare now twice with the top off and both times she fell asleep... I guess that means she likes it?

Nice! I thought it was a little dorky looking when you first bought it. I should have known you wouldn't leave it that way and that you would make it badass.

It is about time for me to get a new car and I am trying to talk my wife into letting me get one.

new wheels look great man! for my hard top on my old wrangler i hoooked up a winch system... basicly ran a boat trailer crank on the wall, was able to strap the top to the cable that fed out above the jeep in the garage, would unscrew and crank it right off the jeep that would solve the I NEED HELP getting this thing on and off and storage. i would just crank it all the way to the ceiling in the garage and it had plenty of room, would sit there all summer long and in the winter i would put it back on and pull the rag top... got the idea from a fraternity brother that did it on his bronco... worked great!

google wrangler hard top hoiste and you will find a ton of how to's and the different way people do them

this is almost spot on how i did mine... only mine was parted together from parts i found or got from tractor trailer supply

jo420.jpg

Yeah a buddy of mine whos' wife has a JKU built a winch system like that, said it nearly brought the garage down (old outbuilding garage) I wouldn't mind having one, and I love the squareback look of the JK hardtop. It's just that $1400-$2000 price tag for something that I'm fine without and would take up so much space, even hanging.

What I'd really like to do next (after finishing out the front bumper and coming up with a rear that I can actually stand on without it folding up) Is make some aluminum half doors for it, that way I can ride with my dogs more open without them falling out at the first left turn.

Flug: I really like it. Build quality is a little iffy in some places like the bumpers which seem to be made out of a couple of layers of black garbage bags blown into a mold. It's not a luxury car, and when it's nasty out you might be a little jealous of the guy next to you in the Lexus, but on a nice day there's no other cage, no matter what the price or amenities I'd rather drive. Another thing that I love about it is that it has no hierarchical status, Drive though the poorest neighborhood in your state and you'll see almost as many of them as you will in the most wealthy. for some reason, I think that's kind of cool. If you can love it for it's simplicity, you'll love it! I do.

Nice.
I have had mine since 2007.
Check out jkowners.com I'm sonic on there.
Stay away from jkforum. They are a bunch of douchebags.
aefe72a4-48a1-d349.jpg

Back
Top Bottom