1972 DS7 The Row Boat

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road

Rad stuff man if you need any engine parts let me know

bradj said:
Rad stuff man if you need any engine parts let me know
Thanks Brad, I have been eyeing up a couple of 350 transmissions on ebay. Is there any benefit with that trans while still having the 250 jugs on?

clem said:
Thanks Brad, I have been eyeing up a couple of 350 transmissions on ebay. Is there any benefit with that trans while still having the 250 jugs on?
not sure unless you are running a 5 speed then i would say do it. we got a few rd trans sets so hit me or von with a offer befor you throw money at ebay

I would like some feed back on this. Let me know if Im smoking something or am about to jack something up. It looks wrong but every once in awhile something about it seems right.

or even this

I think the second one is neat. If you go back several pages in the "craigslist cafe" bike thread there's one done up like that with an air force theme.

Love the wheels!! They must be EX650 yes? Not sure about the seat/tail looks too big imho. If it was my project I would look at the honda RS250/125 seat/tail unit (modified to lose the lower wings that go lower than the frame rails). End of the day though you know what you like so go with what you think is right!

Richard, I saw that bike on ebay. a couple of weeks ago. I think that he had modified R6 stuff on it. I got the same feeling when looking at that bike, looked cool but something about looked wrong.
John, I think you're right about the size, just a little too big. I tried to maych up the wheels on the bikes in the two pics so they woud be close to the same size. I'll look at some of the 250 stuff, IIf that doesnt work then I may go for the airtech TZ750 seat of try the metal fab like you did on your build. Oh and the wheels are 2008 EX 250, powdercoated gold. Thanks
The whole goal is to blend a little new with the old in the body work. Ill keep chipping away and hopefully something its me.

I think you will find a seat/tail to suit your bike from Airtech, they have so many to choose from and you are probably right one of the TZ tails would work. Making your own tail is great because you end up with something unique, however the time involved is extensive, at least for me it was. Next bike I build I will use something pre made and modify it to suit my needs.

My next bike could be a Yamaha (LC/RZ 350)so I will continue to follow your build and see how it turns out and maybe get some ideas from you.

Redbird your words are enough for me. Air tech it is. Ran down to the harbor for lunch to pick up a cheapo port-a-band to cut some brackets for the linkage mount. I'll probably round off the bottoms over the holidays.

You can't tell from the pic but the flat bumper steel under the frame(for the center stand stop) is in the way and will need to be removed. I'll save the fireworks for the 4th.

johnu said:
I think you will find a seat/tail to suit your bike from Airtech, they have so many to choose from and you are probably right one of the TZ tails would work. Making your own tail is great because you end up with something unique, however the time involved is extensive, at least for me it was. Next bike I build I will use something pre made and modify it to suit my needs.

My next bike could be a Yamaha (LC/RZ 350)so I will continue to follow your build and see how it turns out and maybe get some ideas from you.
Thanks John, I do have a seat that I made for it but I'm not 100% sold on it and it was a PITA. I'm usually pretty crafty and believe that anybody can do anything with the right amount of effort and patience. I just didn't enjoy the dust and sticky stuff everywhere. ;D

Woke up early to try to get something done on the bike. I did pretty well.
I added some meat to the steering stop so the triple clamps would no longer slap my tank. I also tacked up the shock mounts both upper and lower. I got a scare for a second when I first took it off of the stand. The shock wouldn't budge at all. I thought maybe the linkage was too tight or the shock was shot. Come to find out the shock spring preload was way to tight. I backed it off and all is well. Lyn Garland called and said that the crank is ready and really wasn't in bad shape at all. No deep rust or seized spots. Once I get that paid and out the way I'll spring for new tires. Major stuff left:
- Rebuild motor
- Fab up front caliper bracket(should be easy)
- Decide on a seat(should be hard)
- Add tank mounting tabs
- Clean off excess tabs from frame
- Paint
That should be the big stuff that is left since the suspension is done.

I am going to do the remaining welding on the mounts when the bike gets stripped down. I am going to tie the lower supports into the lower engine mounts for added strength.

1972 DS7 The Long Road- monoshock conversion done

Someone much cleverer than me would know, but is that upper shock mount strong enough?

Looks like it could twist off the welds.

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road- monoshock conversion done

Neevo it will be welded to the engine mount. I cut the tubular to overlay the top and bottom of the upper engine mount. That shoukd keep it from twisting off. I tried to replicate what is on the ex250 that the components came off of. I may be way off but I believe that there will be less force generated in a linkage system. Same concept as the old pully and lever principles. Thanks.

I haven't done a whole lot in the last couple of weeks but I figured that I'd post some info to show what's going on.
I made a bracket for the rear brake reservoir from the leftover tubular:

I finally got around to making the rear tank mounts for the RD400 tank:

I got the crank back from Lyn and it came back looking great, really like new. I need to take some pics of that.
I got a nice box of 6-speed from Brad and the gasket and seal kit to put the engine back together. I just need to finish cleaning the cases for that to happen

and somehow I need it to stop raining for longer than two days to make more progress on this project:

I was really trying to get this together for Barber but I think that may be pushing it. I am going to just take it one step at a time so that everything stays legit and I don't rush through anything.

Making some progress here. I got my wheel back from the powder coater after some brake fluid ruined it for me. Darren at Cajun Powder Coating re-did the wheel at half price even though it was all my fault. He also blasted a 1970 CT70 frame for me for nothing. Good dude. Anyway, I thought that I would try out one of those youtube shortcuts on the tire installations and it went okay:

About 2 minutes later:

I took my hacksaw and file and made a front brake caliper adapter. I still need to smooth it out but looks good so far.

Now I have a roller!

I'm thinking about using the stock oil tank but I'm not 100% sold on the looks.

I started cleaning up the cases Here one is fresh from the oven. The wife busted me but she was pretty cool about it.

And the rebuilt crank came a pretty darn clean. Big difference from when I first cracked open the cases.

I should be able to get the bottom end buttoned up today.
My dad talked to one of his old buddies who happened to have a Daytona special that he wants to sell. I really didn't know a good price for one but he wanted $3K for it. He said that he also has a 78 RD400 in good shape with a seized crank, another 400 engine, a couple of tanks and possibly a set of 350 jugs that he'll throw in the deal. I told him that the Daytona was probably worth $2200 but would have to look at the other stuff. The Daytona leaks oil out of every point possible but it does run. Maybe I went to high on the price? I told him that I need to finish the 250 first and he was cool with that. He said whenever I'm ready that the bike will be there.

I don't know about prices in your neck of the woods, but here in Oz I would go for it. The Daytona looks pretty straight, and the other bits could possibly be turned into a spare bike.

The monoshock is looking real good, it's going to be some bike when completed!

Crazy

Thanks Crazy. I'm really digging on the gold and black but then again I'm a bit of a saints fan. I bought my first car and street motorcycle from the guy with the Daytona back when I was in school. He's been a good friend of the family for awhile. I may try to find someone to split the deal with when I buy it.

Looks rad your parts are going out Monday I dug my rd out the outer day I gotta get back on it soon

clem said:
20130127_154749.jpg
ant much changed haha

Back
Top Bottom