1972 Honda CL450 Scrambler Refurb

Awesome. So much to learn from this thread. I'm definitely inspired to rebuild my 450, especially upgrade to the oil filter kit and direct oil feed line to the head.

I have been MIA from this site for awhile. Life got busy and there was a pandemic, but I am still working on my 450. I plan to start posting some more about what I have done and what I am doing to the bike. Since I last posted I have ridden it quite a bit, updated most of the electrical system and changed out the stock carbs for Mikunis. More on that later.

How she looked a few months ago:
IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

Right now I am in the process of refurbishing the wheels and the forks. The rims were starting to rust through and a couple of the spokes were broken. I have stripped the wheels down to the hubs which have been repainted. They have a brushed finish with a clearcoat over that. The first time I painted them, I used a standard clear enamel rattlecan. Over time this turned yellow and most of it flaked off. This time I used the Spraymax 2K clear. Hopefully that holds up better. Next week I will be sending the hubs and some new tires and tubes to Buchanan's to get new aluminum Excel rims along with new spokes and nipples installed.

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

Since I have the wheels off I am also rebuilding the forks. The old fork tubes had some rust spots in the fork seal zone so they leaked over time. I sourced some new Japanese fork tubes from Germany and refinished the fork lowers along with the wheel hubs. I purchased some new Ikon springs from Common Motor but they turned out to be the wrong size. The guys at CM were kind enough to pay to ship them back and refund my money. The old springs will be going back in for now.

IMG_3488.jpg

More to follow....

Back
Top Bottom