Impact Gun....what do u use? What should i get?

DesmoBro

Busted Nut
On the fence about what i should get....Used/New some guys say get a Mac tool or the snap on guy says buy that stuff, one guy swears by ingersoll rand but uses a snap on....so many ways to go....i found a deal on CL $75 for a snap on impact driver but someone at work was saying if its the model that uses a lever to switch direction its junk and people always sell em cheap....Already went to harbor fright and wasnt impressed ....

I'm partial to Ingersoll myself, although the new high impact plastic housing units are nice and lightweight. If you're not using it for heavy duty industrial service, you don't need to spend $500 on some super bad-ass mofo impact. A craftsman/Blue point/Kobalt/Ridgid impact will last for years so long as you just take care of it and don't beat the living shit out of it.

I have the Snap-On 24v cordless Impact at work and I love it. It used to be the 18v but they converted it to the 24v right on the truck. I can spin off four to five cars' wheels with it on a charged battery.

get a mac or snap on used is fine, they are rebuildable,easy to rebuild and you can get rebuild kits
or any USA made unit

Dunno exactly which model, but ive beat the stuffing out of the plastic cased IR at work (its gray) and it always comes back for more. It was about $380 new. I use it for about 1 solid hour a day. Oil it every day too.

sasquach said:
I've had an IR231 that I've been using for about 20 years
I'll second the Ingersoll Rand 231. If tyou can still find one, and if they still make parts those thing are like a Tank!
Bought mine used from the Snap-On truck then abused it every day for nearly 20 years. Easy to rebuild but I only had to do it once. You not only need to oil it daily, but it had a needle grease zert fitting to grease it once a month or so...

14 years in the trade and I'm on my second Ingersoll Rand. First one I had was when the composite housings came out. It had an iron snout. When I dropped it and chipped the anvil I found out that a rebuild kit was almost as much as a newish gun. I picked up a used, titanium nosed gun for about $100 (cdn) off the snap-on truck. It was in his parts bin. Lately I've been eyeballing Air Cat tools. Both my pneumatic ratchets are by them. Quiet, light and powerful. Also cheap. Couple of coworkers have the 3/8 impact by AC. Almost as much oomph as my first IR. And less noise than some electrics I've seen.

Is it going to be for MC work or Cars?
If MC you can get away with a 3/8 version and it will be much easier to handle.
I have a 1/2" Kobalt that I've had forever, nothing professional there but it works fine, but for MC stuff its so damn big and heavy its a pain in the ass to use.

95% of the time I use my Dewalt Cordless 20V Impact.
The only time the Big gun comes out is for clutch retainer nuts, sprocket retainers, and things of that nature.

It will mostly be used on cars and trucks...but also m/c occationally i just got a job at a chrysler dodge dealer ....put a screw driver in my hand today because they make lug nuts out of silly putty nowadays

Years and years of abuse on my Ingersoll Rand 231, pretty tough gun.
As far as 3/8" goes, I've got Snap-on, handed down from my pops, also beat on hard for years. Ran over several times.

I friend of mine just bought a new Air Cat. Quiet max or something. It is seriously quiet. I'll see if I can find a link.

I don't know if I'm biased by I would go with the Snap-on
especially if you have a Snap-on rep pretty close by if anything happens
you can bring it in and get it rebuilt or replaced.
I haven't had many snap on tools break but
the very few I have the snap on rep was very good at getting it all worked out.

I don't ever remember paying for a replacement either.

-Alex

I'm not sure what the straight 24v goes for since mine started out as an 18v and had the 24v components soldered in. I think it will run you about 300 with the gun, charger and batteries. I love the hell out of mine and I beat the shit out of it daily. If you have the truck come to the shop just step on board and make sure you leave your wallet in your tool box... Mine has a tendency to come out and play when I step on.

Blue Point is made by Snap-On, only cheaper price. Still has the same warranty, too. I've had my IR for close to 10 years, and it was old when I got it, and still puts new 1/2" drives to shame. I'd say any name brand gun and you'll be happy.

the Ingersoll has kept my family fed and housed for almost 20 years now. I work in an off road shop and they get used all day everyday. the blue point look a like was ok but the original IR is the best. the plastic bodies ive never had much luck with.

sasquach said:
I've had an IR231 that I've been using for about 20 years
this ive had high end snap on guns at work that were beat clear to junk in a year but my 18 year old ir still hits harder and the guts arnt alum like the snap on

I have two impact guns. One is a cheap 18v cordless which is good for small minor stuff but I have a 110v Milwaukee 1/2" gun that works for most of the heavy stuff I have to do.

Its big and heavy but it works.. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/9070-20

Back
Top Bottom