Houston, we have a (pin) hole - gas tank

Corbo

Hi y'all. TL/DR: can I use JB weld to repair this hole in my tank?

I was stripping paint from my Honda CL360 gas tank today and have been shakin stones and vinegar inside for about a week--suddenly just discovered this pinhole in the top of the tank near the seat due to rust (inside and out I assume). (Ignore the flash rust! Ugh...)
cae61bd969a14a26269fa46284e012bd.jpg

Can I use JB Weld or some other product to repair this? I looked elsewhere and folks recommended against bondo specifically for anything coming in contact with fuel so that's a no-go.

Or should I now be thinking about doing tank Kreem?
Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I wouldn't recommend any sort of epoxy. A metal patch welded over it is your best bet. JB Weld might hold for a while, do you want it to come loose while you're riding, or overnight in your garage?

As far as I know, brazing is the best answer you'll find. I've been recommended a silicone bronze brazing rod from a couple guys here. I have some bronze rod and an OA torch out back waiting to braze a tank with a few pinhole leaks. I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Honestly, when it comes to a fuel tank, I only trust metal. Forget JB and other epoxies, they're known to break down due to long term fuel exposure.

I'll have more info when I actually get around to brazing my tank

sandblast larger area and braze hole shut...nothing I know of in industry that is a two part glue that will hold up over long term

Couple years ago i has a similar tank hole....Kanticoy recomended i fill the tank with water then mig weld the hole....it was kinda sketchy but it worked....sure brazing is less heat but it takes a certain level of skill and finesse ....with the mig even if i popped another hole i could close it up also i noticed it was weak around the hole so the mig burnt off the thin metal where a braze wouldnt....

The thin stuff i want to say .06 mm but i could be wrong it was the smallest available at the hardware store

Thanks, guys. You convinced me to go with brazing. No equipment for that so I'll try a professional.

Back
Top Bottom