Hardware store confusion

ridesolo

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I was out for the morning trip to the Post Office today and stopped by the hardware store on the way home to buy a bottle of Loctite. I searched the appropriate area and could not find Loctite. Finally I saw the Loctite packages but they were super glue. Huh? I kept looking and eventually found one package of Super Glue and it was loctite. Confused and fearing there had been a serious twist in the space/time continuum, I carried the package of Super Glue loctite up to the counter and asked the lady why they only have Super Glue loctite and Loctite super glue. She didn't answer my question, just gave me a blank stare. Then I noticed she was wearing a t-shirt with something about Gorilla Glue written on it. That reminded me of the broken chimpanzee at home. She told me they don't carry Chimpanzee Glue. It just makes me wonder if True Value is suppose to be some kind of oxymoron. I bet they don't sell playing cards at Ace Hardware either.

The Ace here doesn'the carry Loctite. Just the a Loctite brand super glue. Have to hit Fastenal for the goods.

Loctite is a brand name for a bunch of different chemical adhesive related products - sort of like Kleenex is a brand name for tissue related products. Most of us think of Loctite as the drop of blue chemical we put on bolts to keep them from vibrating of, but they make a bunch of products super glue being one of them.

Actually what you are probably wanting is the medium strength blue or high strength red "threadlocker", but they actually make several others. Used to be that you usually saw three products at the auto supply, the blue and red, but also green(?) "stud and bearing mount", but it seems like their product line has changed over time. They all are rather dreadfully expensive so if you want anything more than one of those tiny tubes go to an industrial fasteners supply and you can get a much better deal, and also get stuff they don't have at the auto supply.

The world changes. Pretty rare to even find an actual hardware store these days much less someone in one that knows anything. But we all get answers on the interweb now, which is a much larger recourse - as long as the power stays on.

Hmmm, I wonder if "sense of humor" is a thing that should be put on a battery tender for the winter? Or perhaps it needs a little Stabil once in a while. Never, ever, use Loctite green on the cap of your Stabil bottle.

I like to make purple loctite by mixing the red and blue together. I use it in place of assembly grease as well as to hold my rings in on the Pistons during assembly. I also like to put a squirt or two in my Old Milwaukee... makes my mouth tingle.

hurco550 said:
I also like to put a squirt or two in my Old Milwaukee... makes my mouth tingle.

We used to drink it back in high school, made w Everclear....its called purple passion.

You can probably pick it up at....your hardware store

11494-040415193623.jpeg

O'Reilly's has the Permatex brand of thread lockers and has it in 19 different sizes and colors for every application including Blue Surface Insensitive Threadlocker. Green, Purple, Blue, Red.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Threadlockers,+Sealants+&+Compounds/N0489/C2392.oap?page=1&results=20&sortBy=1

hurco550 said:
I like to make purple loctite by mixing the red and blue together. I use it in place of assembly grease as well as to hold my rings in on the Pistons during assembly. I also like to put a squirt or two in my Old Milwaukee... makes my mouth tingle.

I wasn't going to buy any of the stuff at all after reading that article in Pintrest about dipping bolts into warmed Canola oil and then into dry red, blue, or green Jello powder before tightening them in. Mrs only has the sugar free Jello on hand, though, and they specifically cautioned that it only works w/ the regular sugared stuff. Super Glue loctite is gunna' have to do the trick. The local automotive place only sells it by the 55 gal barrel.

Permatex sucks on balls.

This thread is about...

Using loctite to superglue a chimpanzee to a girls t-shirt.

Loctite is highway robbery. I just strip the plating off of my bolts and spay them with salt water before assembly. Them boogers ain't coming loose.

Same as Piston rings, simply use a hammer and punch to peen bolt threads.

hurco550 said:
Loctite is highway robbery. I just strip the plating off of my bolts and spay them with salt water before assembly. Them boogers ain't coming loose.

No wonder you couldn't get those forks apart! You used salt water and RUSTED the aluminum! Dang, dood, and I loaned you my favorite paperweight for that! Now my auto part store sale fliers are gunna blow away!

ridesolo said:
No wonder you couldn't get those forks apart! You used salt water and RUSTED the aluminum! Dang, dood, and I loaned you my favorite paperweight for that! Now my auto part store sale fliers are gunna blow away!
No worries, I got my metric crescent wrench on it with my left handed broom handle for leverage. Quick hit with the metal stretcher and she popped right out. Had to de magnetize the aluminum though.

I pay my daughter $2.00 an hour to dip the years bolts into loctite every easter.

11494-040415201621.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom