Kz 650 project

olsen15

Hi, my name is erich i am 16 an i just bought my first motorcycle which is a 1979 kawasaki kz650 and i want to make it into a cafe racer
I am a little lost and dont know were to start as far as the tank,seat,etc. the only probs. are the carbs and brakes other then that it has alot of potential. Any help would be greatly apperciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 176
First thing is to acquire a repair manual specific to that model.
Study it really good and fix any problems first. Then replace
the stearing stem bearings with replacement roller bearings.
Also clean and grease the swing arm pivot. This will give you
a solid foundation to star with. That bike is to nice to cut up.
If it were mine I would convert it to twin front disc. Some good
rear shocks, and clubman bars. And of course a motorcycle
endorsement on your licence.

Welcome.

Plenty of kz650 builds on here to look at and get ideas... Mine is below in the link. Also use the search function for kz650 and it should pull several results.

The guys at forums.kz650.info are very helpful. They have a ton of information on everything including finding the CORRECT factory service manual as Kaw made one for about every different series (B, D, C, F, etc.) bike. Find the correct manual number and scout ebay or use repairmanual.com for a reproduction (copy).

You should have pumper carbs on that model. Decide weather you will convert that to non-pumping carbs or rebuild the pumps on your bowl... I kept my pumps and rebuilt them. rejetted for K&N pods as well. One of the diaphragms is expensive and I can't remember which one. I bought OEM parts because K&L sucks at making diaphragms and orings to factory specs.

Like Rex said, you could do some maintenance things and clubmans and have $300 into it or you could do a lot more but end up with several thousand into it... Do what you want to the bike based on your liking and amount of money at your disposal.

Watching. Excited to see what you come up with!

Welcome aboard.

Clean up the carbs and see how she runs. I'm looking forward to see how you go.

Good luck!
Damian.

Tat kz looks to be in great shape, i'm not sure if id chop anything. Maybe just some lower bars, smaller blinkers etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Started deconstruction, the bike is really clean and carbs look great but still going to check the jetting, got the newbars in and get pod filters sometime next week the only problem is i cant find a new throttle cable,dont know what rim to get for dual front disc brakes other than that the project is going great

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 474
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 213
Your local bike shop should have no problem ordering
up throttle cables. If not Z1Enterprises has them and more.
Your hub will convert to twin disc. What is needed is a matching
front disc, caliper and brake hose with splitter.

Someone please help me, the fuel tee has this wierd rubber coating and i cant find a new one because kawasaki discontinued iand it is all i need to get the bike running!!! Please help

olsen15 said:
Someone please help me, the fuel tee has this wierd rubber coating and i cant find a new one because kawasaki discontinued iand it is all i need to get the bike running!!! Please help

Z1 or eBay.

Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KZ1000-KZ650-Z1R-CSR-POLICE-CARB-FUEL-TEE-/380758177583?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a6f4b72f

Here are some others: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC0.A0.Xkawasaki+carb+tee&_nkw=kawasaki+carb+tee&_sacat=0&_from=R40

It's all on how you search. I knew I have looked at new ones before but couldn't find them when searching using "T" I had to use "TEE" to find those. The straight sections, search with "CROSSOVER".

Back
Top Bottom