What's going on now over at Ichiban Moto ?

Re: Ichiban Moto : Yamaha 500 cafe racer build

Welcome to DTT. There are a few of those 500s here on the site (though they're called XS or TXs in the US). In facr the nicest of them is Scotts bike of the month on the banner.

To kind mike !

Was just going to say I think that a XS as its a 77 ! Did they call them FZ500 someplace else ? Either way there a fun bike to ride and have to say lil more pep then I would of thought ! If you need any help just let us know and welcome to the DTT sir !

That's definitely an XS500. Look at the VIN stamped into the neck.

I feel kinda stupid.. there is a Yamaha production label on the steering neck that shows it's an XS500 ... I double checked the number on the label, the stamp in the neck , the engine stamp and the title. They all match :D ...also , it is a 1978 model, not a 1977

thank you VonYinzer !

No problem. The FZ line didn't come till way later and as far as I know, never came in a 500cc form. There's some great info on the XS500 here on DTT. The search function is your friend. Back in the 70s/80s there were a few guys making some real power with those engines, though its not cheap to do so (never is ;) ).

The engine number should start with 371 ##### I believe ! There is also the TX/XS forum to have a look at if you didn't already !

The vin starts with a "1J3" (?)

edit: thank you again VonYinzer, mr. google confirms 1J3 vin#'s are XS500

Ichiban Moto said:
The vin starts with a "1J3" (?)

edit: thank you again VonYinzer, mr. google confirms 1J3 vin#'s are XS500

Did some looking and seems the "1J3" is a US inport and the "371" is a EURO and theres only a few diff in them . like plastic fender and head design but make sure when ordering anything for it you check which is which !

Inside the gas tank is some old sealant I want to remove... any ideas? I posted in the "Help" section:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=52970.msg593187#msg593187

I need to find another carburetor and figure out how to clean the old tank sealer out before I can work on getting the engine running......

So in the meantime, I fabricated a new tail light bracket for a smaller light. It and the license plate are now mounted up in the new location.

I made a video and put it on youtube here:
http://youtu.be/6c-bbexT9ac

Yeah, definitely a bit of a hodgepodge.... But they're a good base for a café racer!

I will do my best to de-hodge it !

So nobody has any experience ( successful anyway ) with a solvent ( Acetone, MEK etc. ) of any kind that will remove the gas tank coating inside.. based on my question in the "help" section. So I was basically provided a couple of recommendations: a) have a radiator shop "burn it out" and re-coat it ... or option b) shit-can the tank and find something else.

so.. being poor, I went with option c : I put some gas in it ,gave it a swish , drained and repeated. Then I filled it with gas yesterday.... checked later this afternoon and nothing drips gas, it seems fine and if MEK and Acetone can't remove tank coating, I'm sure gasoline will be just fine in it.

Some progress and an update: I have completed the café style handlebar conversion and customized my headlight :D

Here is the handlebar youtube video:
http://youtu.be/jzJgxJw9PAI

Here is the custom headlight video on youtube:
http://youtu.be/ZaNG83KEezU

Next I will start on the front fender removal and also work on the front brake :) and I still need to work on the carbs

this thread is a joke right?

the previous owner told you it needed a battery and the carbs cleaned and that it would run??? did he not mention you'd have to BUY A NEW CARB, before you could clean it?

This build seems to be headed in some very strange directions. This reminds me of the nonsense bikes labeled "cafe" on craigslist.

I'm not sure how to respond your questions and comments....... it seems that you are just being mean instead helpful. Why?

..... and give me a break, I just started working on this and yes I found another carb. I just need to clean them etc. It is on my list of to-do's

i wasn't trying to be mean, but I know it came across that way.

That "chrome" spray paint you used on your headlight, is probably going to bubble off after your run your headlight for about 10 minutes. You can't use it on your exhaust pipes and headers like you said either, because it's not rated for heat. You mentioned that you were going to paint your headlight yellow, originally... the yellow headlights you're referring too aren't painted, they are either yellow glass lenses, or a yellow bulb.

And flipping your bars upside down MIGHT give you a comfortable riding position if you had low bars to begin with, but you have pretty tall bars. I don't know how tall you are, or what you're planning to do about rearsets, but I can't really imagine that you're going to have a comfortable riding position.

It seems like you're eager to get going on this bike, which is a good mentality to have, but you should slow down and think some of this stuff through.

By all means we are not trying to Discourage you just the Opposite ! But J is right the headlight is a cool idea but once it gets hot the paint with bubble off same with any thing that gets hot . If the bars work then use them but by looking at the angle of the M/C on the bars That type of M/C need to be level to work right . Slow down a lil and as your working on it think about how it Functions and works and will save you all kind of headache trust me I know ! All the guys here are trying to help from Experience and just want you to be safe and enjoy building !

I had ordered a new battery online... it arrived! I'm not 100% sure where I'm going to mount the new one yet, but I want to get the engine going asap. I removed the old battery and installed the new one temporarily. It's an AGM battery so I can install it sideways if needed.

Here is a video on youtube of the new battery installation and the disposal of the old battery ( it cost $20 to recycle a vehicle battery in my area, so I used a DIY kit for only $5)

http://youtu.be/QPgC5yK_m7I

Back
Top Bottom