Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey

Dread,
Have you removed the fuel cap to see if the vent isn't working correctly? Just a thought.

Gary

VonYinzer said:
Oh there was no comfort there... That pic was taken shortly after Brad decided to drunken arm wrestle my 275lb ex semi pro hockey player brother in law. To his credit, Brad won. He still can't use his arm 7 months later, but he deserves that for trying to hit me with a samurai sword. That was a good night. Haha...
matts arm hurt just as long

Yes woke up walked outside and there was blood on the floor but everyone was still breathing so poured me some coffee .......

Yea GK one of the first things i tried as the FJ does samething time from time ! After talking to Kop and Bow thing its a stuck float but seems ok . Got the bike fired back up and running but goes fuel hungry after a min or two. Took a small flat head and where fuel line hooks to the petcock just wiggled it under line to let air in and fills line right back up then repeat ! Going to do some reading and have to be missing something small just not sure what lol

This year will be different hahaha

Good deal. Are they vented bowls on the carbs? Overflow tube pinched, clogged? Ok I am out of obvious ideas you probably already checked.LOL

Let the carb retarded (such as myself) in on the secret when you figure it out. I am sure it will save may ages of greif sooner or later.

Bike is looking awsome, Can't wait for the start up vid and glamor shots.

Gary

gk45011 said:
Good deal. Are they vented bowls on the carbs? Overflow tube pinched, clogged? Ok I am out of obvious ideas you probably already checked.LOL

Let the carb retarded (such as myself) in on the secret when you figure it out. I am sure it will save may ages of greif sooner or later.

Bike is looking awsome, Can't wait for the start up vid and glamor shots.

Gary

Bowl vents were my next guess too. Bike looks awesome Scott, hope to see it soon!

Matt

Thanks guys im to the point of haveing to learn something new with carb tuning ! Last night got the monkey fired back up and idleing at 1g so now that i got that need to see about jetting . Did get the fuel lines filled and seemed t
o stay that was when running . After i was done for the night i refilled them and then look at them this morning and they where drained so need to do some more reading and asking what am i missing ! Im sure ill get it worked out just a new learning experience thats all LOL

where oh where is all the fuel going? Is it leaking out of the overflow?

DreadRock said:
Thanks guys im to the point of haveing to learn something new with carb tuning ! Last night got the monkey fired back up and idleing at 1g so now that i got that need to see about jetting . Did get the fuel lines filled and seemed t
o stay that was when running . After i was done for the night i refilled them and then look at them this morning and they where drained so need to do some more reading and asking what am i missing ! Im sure ill get it worked out just a new learning experience thats all LOL

Double check float heights (i'm sure you did this already) and CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL to make sure it's not going out the top (through main jet passage) and down into the cylinders....ask me how I learned this one....

bowman41 said:
where oh where is all the fuel going? Is it leaking out of the overflow?

Yes did see some but only a drip of two !

MotorbikeBruno said:
Double check float heights (i'm sure you did this already) and CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL to make sure it's not going out the top (through main jet passage) and down into the cylinders....ask me how I learned this one....

I didnt get to the float height which was the next step. And didnt even think about it running down to the oil. But it has to go someplace right ? Ran out of time yesterday but will looking into it ASAP as i cant see the bowls holding that much fuel and not leaking out a overflow ! If it is leaking thru the main passage whats the fixs ? or is the float height the fix ?

Float height should stop it as it shuts fuel off before it gets high enough to go through the intakes. Good luck, this part is alway a PITA.

This step is where i always fuck up pretty engine paint with gas

bradj said:

^+1 Glad I'm not the only one that made a mess of things.

Dread an easy way to check float height is to hook a clear hose up to the bowl drain plug, lift the open end of the hose up next to the carb. This should give you an idea of the height of the fuel level in your bowls....
:-X Atleast thats how I think it works... ha

bradj said:

Well not sure if i fucked up the paint but about a bowl full was on the motor last night and seemed to hold up ! If not well guess will have to pull the motor and redo it LOL

Yea Bowman Kop did say something to that effect and have a few leads on what to look for as i been reading and reading on how to tune and adjust carbs. Seems to me its just out of tune and not set up right so the plan is to slowly start to trouble shot and get everything adjust as it should be then move on from there !!!

Did you replace the float needles in these (sorry if you answered that before) if not, a good trick is to take brasso or toothpaste and an cotton ear swab and spin it (one direction is best) using your hand. It polishes out the float valves to give new contact area on worn needles. Can be used in a pinch to figure out if sealing is your problem....then go get new float needles :p

I hope you get this figured out quickly! And I'm with Bradj...I ALWAYS fuck up the paint this way or some other way...haha

Yeah, man, take a look at those carbs... The set I bought initially came with two different pilots and two different mains, even though they were supposed to be "pre-jetted". No telling if something came screwed up right out of the box.

Well they are new carbs but again we all know that dont always add up to being right so ill pull both off and have a look at them ! Thanks guys for the help and will let you know what i find !!!

PM sent sir and thanks for the info !

Didnt have time to mess with the carbs to much last night but did check the oil and pulled the carbs off ! When i looked at the oil it smelled like gas and was to thin and clear for fresh or old oil . So i pulled the carbs and will look them over when i have time this week. Think i need to find a base line as a starting point so i know which way to adjust ?

Back
Top Bottom