Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey

Need lil help with brake lines guys ! Need to find a nice set of braided custom lines anyone have luck with one company or another ? Also when measuring out the lines do you measure just the lines or do you add in the banjo also ? Thanks for the help all !!!!

I've always had good luck with Goodridge lines, they usually have the nice clear plastic sheathing. Of course, I scrounge a lot, so I tend to mix brands. You do want to measure the line and banjos together, a little extra (yes, a LITTLE) won't hurt. Make sure you get the right angles on the ends, too. Ie; straight, 90, 30, whatever.

Cute little fuzzy buddy. What did you name that little guy?
Sounds like the sock monkey will be getting its shoes on the road soon.

My mind is blown, best turnaround i've seen on a xs500 so far.

I like just about everything about this project, especially the brakes, contemplating doing an upgrade on mine as well, i heard most ducati discs will fit.

Cant wait to get to the point youre at now, it must feel amazing!

Thank you sir !

As most know been waiting and saving for brake lines well I have them !!!! I picked up a set from Speigler SS custom lines and banjo bolts . Didn't think would get them in two days but came home Fri and there they where . Good guys to deal with and very nice product and well build .
I went with chrome banjos , smoke covering and black bolts . Now will say this was the first set of custom lines ive ordered and like everything on the bike was some work and thinking on what to do. I checked and rechecked but was worried I was doing something wrong. So on the back I knew I was close and stuck with 27 inchs and moved to the front and came up with 27 also but was thinking I needed lil wiggle room up front for travel ! So went with 28 inchs and it worked out well !
So been working on the back first and ran into some very small problems but nothing that I cant take care of . One was the the travel of the brake arm as if it was to far down would stop on the pipe. I think I have a plan for that and it took me most of the night and a few mind adjustments LOL But by the end of the night I had working back brake HELLL YEAA !!!!!!!
Going to spend the day working on the front as I need to build a bracket to hold brake line in a safe spot and not rub on anything ! Then just need a few bolts , fuel filters , fuel line and its ON !!!
My Goal is to try and get it out of the shop and on the road this week !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys :)

Spent all day in the shop working on front brake and few other small things ! Took some time but got front bleed and if im not carefull and only use one or two fingers could be kissing the front wheel LOL
Need to find some nice fuel filters and lines and go over everything !

Some Sun because it was there !!!!!

Gorgeous build. Waiting for the running/ride video.

Gary

I bet you are so ready to ride after how much work you have put in. Let her rip...

Really does look wicked awesome scott. Nice work can't wait to see it in person

Have to have a meet up & ride when she's done. Can't wait to hear/see her on the road. TX500 was my first street bike, a long, long time ago...

Really nice build. How hard is that back caliper to bleed with the bleed screw facing down?

I would think you bleed it with the nipple facing up, before you bolt it on. That's my take.

Smoke is right on !!! Wasn't to bad to bleed really ran two lines to a Y then one down in a cup of brake oil . Once I got oil there I pulled the caliper off and bleed it to help get air out faster . The rear on my victory is the same and have 0 problem with it !

nice build. looks better than a new bike off the showroom floor, job well done.

jakeschmidt said:
nice build. looks better than a new bike off the showroom floor, job well done.

You should see it in person, it's better than the pics. It really looks like a brand new bike, not and old bike fixed up. Scott did a great job and I can't wait to see it ripping up some asphalt.

Back
Top Bottom