Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey

Thank you guys very much !!!

Well had problems with few thing with another bike and need to order parts so I moved on to the XS last night ! Which wasn't any good lol because the other bike had me up in arms long story !!!!
So after work today I set about getting the XS moving and moved it did up and down the drive like a champ if you could call it that !!! Still need tuning of the carbs but not far off really and retimed ! !!!
One problem that needs addressed is its running way hot on right side and left is much cooler ?? And I know this a dumb Question but on the mikuins anyone know on the carbs which way is off and which is on ???? Other then that .....

IT'S ALIVE AND FUCKIN MOVING 8)

You mean choke on or off for the mikunis? Plunger down means choke is off on my VM 34s

If you're talking about the idle adjustment, threading in lifts the slides....

No the choke lever ! It didn't want to run on when chock was off then and one cylinder was alot cooler then other

Ahhhh.... Sounds like an issue with the pilot jets...

As far as the not running off choke or the motor being cool on the left side ? Or both lol

Both, actually. Does it get any better when you rev it up? The running only with choke leads me to think the pilots are either plugged or too small. The left running cold tells me it's not getting a good mixture.

just a question. is the tank all clean and petcocks clean? happened on my bike where there was some junk in the tank clogging one of the petcocks and it would start running on one cylinder.

Inside tank is clean and there new peacocks but that don't always mean there clean ! Will take alook at that and go over carbs again can't be anything big just needs messing with !

Pulled both carbs off and cleaned them then back on . I checked to make sure I have spark which both did but still only right side firing . Pulled plugs and left side clean but with I'll gas on it and right was black .
Could this be air around the boots maybe or something else . Read a few threads here and seems its a carb problem someplace ?
Well back to reading ! Any thoughts guys ????

Hmm.. well if you have spark, did you try swapping plugs from one side to the other to see if the problem moves? I had a plug on my GT380 that would spark but would not fire under compression. I suppose you could try that with the carbs, too, temporarily... Then if the problem didn't move with one or the other you know it's mechanical. Valve sealing poorly, bad rings, whatever.

Is it Possible to have one cylinder lean and one rich with the same jets?

Possible, but not common...

Mmmm could carb boots leaking air cause it ? Say one side sealed up and running fine other boot sucking air and going lean and not letting the carb flow fuel right ?

Oh yeah, in fact that's the most likely explanation, now that you mention it... My carb rubbers were all dry-rotted and cracked, and my bike ran lean as all get-out.

Cool cool will have a very close look at left side to make sure it's sealed ! Thank for the help smoke !

Leaky carb boots can cause you no end of pain, and they can leak even when they look good. but shooting starter spray or wd40 at them when runnig should cause a surge if they are the culprit

Edit

also doe your manifolds have O-Rings? If they are crap there will be a leak between head and flange that can cause you issues too. This was one of the causes the CX ran like crap and why I got it so cheap.

Now that u say that mike I replaced the orings with gaskets maybe not tight enough to seal ! With that info and smokes I have a good idea it's that and not the carbs themselves !

Yep. To get the CX to run after valves and carb cleaning, I didn't have the o-rings yet so I put RTV Gasket in the ring hole proud of the maifold about what the o-ring was on the good one, let it cure, then tightened it down, did the test fire and it ran great, but that stuff is not fuel stable so when I stripped it down I cleaned it all off again and got a set of o-rings off ebay to replace. you could do the same to test, but don't leave it there, just get o-rings.

also, the CX has no replacement manifolds available so you have to use the ones for the bike, a lot of em are cracked etc. This tape was reccomended on the CX forum, a lot of guys have used it and it lasts for years. It only sticks to itself and is fuel stable etc. I wrapped my intakes with it and it seems to work, they were not yet leaking but were cracked up bad enough I didn't want to take the chance.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/HomeRepairMaintenance/TapeGlueSealants/PRD~0670023P/Fushion+Pro+Self-fusing+Black+Silicone+Tape.jsp?locale=en

Back
Top Bottom