Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey

You gonna bark all day little doggy

We have lift off ( kinda ) ;D

Started messing with the last few things on the 500 and got it fired back up . Both side firing as should be . Pulled it off the table and outside it went to adjust carbs and get it to idle . Got it close then on came the gear and up the road I went . Seems to sputter are 4 , 4 1/2 throttle . Still need to mess with jetting and timing but can say everything else was great wheels spun smoothly , brakes worked , no funny noises !!!

More to come ....

applause.gif

pr design said:
Nice. Minor tuning and ready to rock.

Yep !! And thanks guys !

Messed with the timing some and starts up lil faster now . Comes down to the black art of carbs now but I can't tell you how funny I felt thinking " after 2 1/2 year it's really going to go down the road ! It was like the first time ever getting on a bike what a great feeling it was !!!!

Been reading this to figure out the carbs....

Carbs 101 : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=16745.0

And from what I understand (LOL) I went down to a 190 main from a 200 because it was running bad about 1/4 throttle ! Will see this afternoon if that helped .....

DreadRock said:
I can't tell you how funny I felt thinking " after 2 1/2 year it's really going to go down the road ! It was like the first time ever getting on a bike what a great feeling it was !!!!
Makes me excited about getting to this point on mine eventually. I am über happy for you, Scott! :D

Great work man. I can't wait till I'm at that point.

DreadRock said:
Comes down to the black art of carbs now
plug chops going up your hill take a socket

Just trying to the point it's close ! Took it out for a few miles and please don't laugh to hard but ( head down ) ran out of gas ::) So moving on lol when got it home to look one plugs loosened up and wher Black/ overly wet !
Cleaned plugs and after starting it up left header was cool so pulled the plugs again and think left side Fouled a plug to the point no good ? Waiting for battery to charge and try again !

O and I'm trying to lean it out as I feel it to to rich !

End of the day and seems to be closer ! Pulled carbs off because I think the clamps where weak and letting air in around them so new clamps where put on . So what I'm running now is : main 195
Pilot 25
Needle 2nd from top
Going to pick up new plugs in the morning , now the book says :
B-8SE-L should I run that or what would be better Choice ? And give it another go Monday !!!

DreadRock said:
Took it out for a few miles and please don't laugh to hard but ( head down ) ran out of gas ::)

Lol. Ya it was a good laugh. Thanks for that! ;)

Wish I could be of some insight with the carb and fuel and running issues, but I have yet to cross that bridge and the last time I attempted...well lets just say I decided to rebuild the motor instead...

Timing Timing Timing seems to be everything now :eek: messed with the carbs some more tonight . Carbs are at : main 190
Pilot. 30
Needle 2nd down from top
Once We got it there it would rev up from idle to 5g then start to break up . Started thinking and never really did the timing just static timing . After hitting it with a light found the left cylinder was off a bit but once it was on moved to right but didn't get to it ran out of battery and didn't want to drain it to bad . Tommrow will finish the timing and see how that helps ;D

LOL !

Need to go over a few things to night like make sure timing is 100% and that the carbs are in sync with each other . Bike is doing good from idle to about 1/2 throttle but falls on its face at 5 , 5 1/2 grand :-[ So if im reading this right it the main jet is dumping all kinds of fuel and fouling the plugs ....

Back
Top Bottom