Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey

DreadRock said:
LOL !

Need to go over a few things to night like make sure timing is 100% and that the carbs are in sync with each other . Bike is doing good from idle to about 1/2 throttle but falls on its face at 5 , 5 1/2 grand :-[ So if im reading this right it the main jet is dumping all kinds of fuel and fouling the plugs ....

Yes and no? Haha. Your slide needle is going to do a lot of metering of the fuel at that point. Also, note the slide cutaway make sure yours is adjusted right, someone chime in but if I remember right, adjust the throttle stop so the rear of the cutaway on the slide should just be sticking into the carb body. But that might just be with mechanical and not CV type carbs.

There Mechanical carbs VM32s ! Ill take a look tonight Bruno thanks

This is all ill say about Newtronics ignition for the 500 : easy to time and nice unit but it needs to be Modified some . First thing I did last night was working on the timing and found out why it dropped on its face at 5 grand ! If the plate was turned all the way to Advanced it still was off so out came the Drimal and cutting wheel . Cut the plate so it could advance more and that put the bike in perfect timing ;D also changed the whole note of the exhuast . So on to jetting and on a side note BRASS IS FUCKING PRICEY when your on a time Schedule LOL but got it really close last night . Need to mess with the pilot now befor moving on to the needle and main ! Will be on it most of the weekend so will see :)

DreadRock said:
This is all ill say about Newtronics ignition for the 500 : easy to time and nice unit but it needs to be Modified some . First thing I did last night was working on the timing and found out why it dropped on its face at 5 grand ! If the plate was turned all the way to Advanced it still was off so out came the Drimal and cutting wheel . Cut the plate so it could advance more and that put the bike in perfect timing ;D also changed the whole note of the exhuast . So on to jetting and on a side note BRASS IS FUCKING PRICEY when your on a time Schedule LOL but got it really close last night . Need to mess with the pilot now befor moving on to the needle and main ! Will be on it most of the weekend so will see :)

Nice! Glad to hear it man!

Nice. Bummed I will miss it.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

I am truly envious, my friend... Good onya.

two-smoker said:
I am truly envious, my friend... Good onya.

Don't say that to fast ! But thanks smoke ..

Messed all weekend on the carbs and can seem to get it of idle smooth ?
Main 160
Pilot 15
Needle at top
Air screw 1 1/2 turns out

Not sure which way to go any help from the carb guys out there ?

DreadRock said:
Don't say that to fast ! But thanks smoke ..

Messed all weekend on the carbs and can seem to get it of idle smooth ?
Main 160
Pilot 15
Needle at top
Air screw 1 1/2 turns out

Not sure which way to go any help from the carb guys out there ?

Well, did you sync them (or at least try) ;)

Next up, you sure it's a 15 pilot and not a 35? (just checking) and either way it's at the "stock" setting. Adjust your mixture screws maybe? OUT would add more air into the mixture to lean things out and going IN would richen it. Being that you have some huge pods on there...I'd suspect you are very lean at idle. Try seating them (VERY LIGHTLY) and then backing out to only 1/2 turn and see if your bike's idle improves any.

Yes a synced them close I could and yes it's a 15 pilot in it now :eek: going to get back at it and give a few things a try and will see if your on to something Bruno thanks !

Remember pods do not effect idle hardly at all. They only change air flow when on the throttle. From like 1/4 and up they start to effect air flow.

Yea mike I agree with that as it runs great at idle but calla apart after ! Goin to restart my plan of Attack and make real sure timings right then move to pilot and so on see if I am missing something !

Did I tell you that I like this motorcycle, because I do. A lot...

If it idled good but falls on its face after, I'm thinking the pilot might be good, but maybe need a different needle jet or needle... Maybe main jet.

Yep. You need to look at the next fueling stage after idle. That is where it is either rich or lean.

Main 160
Pilot 20
Needle down one from top
Air screw 1 turn out

I understand that the pilot doesn't effect idle but would not idle with a 15 pilot no matter what we did. Now at 20 it's much better and idles smooth :). Also made sure 100% that timing is right and both barrels move at the same time with lil adjustment . It's revving up to red line ( 9 grand ) 8) but toward mid it seems to break up some and breaks up from there up ? Would I now look to the needle or main ? Break up is starting around 6 and up !

Well, if that's at full throttle, I'd say mains, mid throttle needle...

DreadRock said:
Main 160
Pilot 20
Needle down one from top
Air screw 1 turn out

I understand that the pilot doesn't effect idle but would not idle with a 15 pilot no matter what we did. Now at 20 it's much better and idles smooth :). Also made sure 100% that timing is right and both barrels move at the same time with lil adjustment . It's revving up to red line ( 9 grand ) 8) but toward mid it seems to break up some and breaks up from there up ? Would I now look to the needle or main ? Break up is starting around 6 and up !

Scott, Sounds like it's in the transition(mid to high) that's giving you issue now- that's the needle, could be position- could also be profile.

That's where im heading needle and main but there close !

Heres a pic of its First real ride around town ....

Back
Top Bottom