Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Re: Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey

Wahoo650 said:
Scott, Sounds like it's in the transition(mid to high) that's giving you issue now- that's the needle, could be position- could also be profile.

Agreed. That gets tricky some times. Needle profile, # clip up or down, and then main jet. Sometimes your bike runs great on the main jet (aka UP high in the revs) but it's still too much for the crossover from low-mid then mid-high.

DreadRock said:
That's where im heading needle and main but there close !

Heres a pic of its First real ride around town ....

Pure Sex!

This think does not look like 1975. Sweet build. Great vision.

I'm going to go scour craigs for XS500 now......

Thanks guys for all kind words !

Went home and messed some with the 500 carbs last night. Thought I would do one thing to see if that helped so set the needle down one more . Then rechecked the carbs where working right and fired it up and got a real nice idle out of the it . So on came the gear and out I started but it shut down when It was under a load what would make it do that ??? So tonight going to put the needle back one up and see how that goes ;D
I have never messed with carbs but will say im slowly learning them so its kind of a good thing really :)

Keep at it Scott, you'll get there. It's always good to do one change at a time like that and see if it is better or worse, then you can reverse it, or go further, then try the next piece and do the same until all the settings are correct and the bike is hauling ass.

Maritime said:
Keep at it Scott, you'll get there. It's always good to do one change at a time like that and see if it is better or worse, then you can reverse it, or go further, then try the next piece and do the same until all the settings are correct and the bike is hauling ass.

Yup ^^^ all of this. Ha! (I'm too lazy to type it, thanks Maritime!)

That's the plan tonight is to put the needle back up one and see . But where to look then pilot or main ?? Seems to me it would be the pilot but when I droped it down to 15 it didn't want to run or idle ?? When the 15 was in turned the idle screws all the way in but nothing . I know im close but I hate just guessing :-\ which im sure is somewhere in very small fine print that says " Carbs tuning is the number one cause of stress " LOL

Check this, another member posted it and it is a good rough guide to tuning your carbs. it lists throttle opening and what part of the fuel curcuit you need to adjust and it works with plug chops. What I would do, is mark your throttle in 1/4's with some pinstripe tape or something. Then you can do the idle check, then the 1/4 throttle chop, then the half and so on. I did this on the 450 when I went to pods and I got it to run, this just outlines it a bit to make some sense.

Attachments

• jettingaid.jpg
    jettingaid.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 250

Very cool mike thank you bud , going to make a few copys of that to take out in the shop tonight !

Well I stole it from another thread and can't remember who originally posted it but figured it was worth saving

DreadRock said:
Very cool mike thank you bud , going to make a few copys of that to take out in the shop tonight !

I like how you said "few copies". I don't ever print out just 1 of something to take into the shop. In half an hours time I usually can't even read the one I started with!

I used that sheet when tuning my MB5 and found it quite good. I started with the idle and once that was dialed in I worked on the Main jet by doing some WOT runs. Once I had that I worked on the mid range by moving the needle.

Yea Logan happens all the time gas,grease,beer,sweat,oil,dogs all seem to eat up a copy or two LOL

Maritime said:
Well I stole it from another thread and can't remember who originally posted it but figured it was worth saving
May have picked it up from my thread. Darkhorse posted it. It's so helpful!

Absolutely beautiful build!

Yeah I kinda beat it out of darkhorse but it was worth it , kinda .

That was the thread so thanks goes to Darkhorse. Hope it works for you. Oh and I know about the grease on the paper LOL. when it is only a single page you can put a plastic cover over it to get a few days out of it.

I printed 4 LOL

Last night followed from start and had mixed readings . It just keeps jumping around so started it up and checked to make sure the boots where not leaking with some carb cleaner which there good no diff when sprayed around the boots. Dennis told me about replacing the bowl cap with one I can run a clear line up the side of the carb to check float level which will be done tonight just to make sure its where it should be. My lil gel battery keeps running out of power befor I get far and am thinking that at idle its not charging good enough to keep a good spark all so will be fix tonight for tuning sake !
Once that is done will start over on the carbs ;D Been over at the XS500 forum looking to see if I can find help there. Theres a guy named Jimmer and know hes hangs here from time to time that has helped with my build. The man knows these bikes inside and out as he drag races 2 of the and one hes running a turbo other has carbs so asked if he had a good base line just to get started and go from there. Its seems like I am just jumping around on the carbs but that's going to end tonight !!!!!

Stay tuned boys and Girls ......

And NO Brad im not going to run a Turbo on it LOL

DreadRock said:
Stay tuned boys and Girls ......

And NO Brad im not going to run a Turbo on it LOL

bradj said:

So predictable. ::)

Looks the biz Scott!! Well done! 8)

Back
Top Bottom