Out in a field Build ... XS 500 The Sock Monkey ( Finished pics ,video, )

Hoosier Daddy said:
Just throwing this out there... might help.

Hoosier, that looks like a gem of a doc. I didn't read it all but from what I saw it could help a lot of folks. Maybe should be a sticky.

Maritime said:
Hoosier, that looks like a gem of a doc. I didn't read it all but from what I saw it could help a lot of folks. Maybe should be a sticky.

I agree mike ! Thanks for the info Hoosier ill have to print it out to go over it !

Ahhh Shucks guys...
Actually I think I got it from here... been so long I forget.
I'll throw it up onto the electrical help section when I get home.

Well got around to testing the Generator and its all good so are sure all the wiring was sound . Only thing that still has a ? Is the R/R ! On the hunt for a replace ment then back out on the road !

Thanks for the help guys !

Think I found one or two ! Brad is looking in his stock pile and a riding buddy thinks he has one one !

It is nice to know the carbs are good to go and now once its in place I can go out for more then a few miles LOL kind of brought back Memories of getting my FJ Sorted out LOL

So last night I'm fitting the new R/R to the 500 and it worked just not like it should . The battery is sitting at just below 14 but when starting the bike and go give it some revs it would drop to 13 . Now I'm by no means a electrical genius but it's not doing what it should sooooo the plan is to pull all the wiring out and make a new harness ! I'm doing this because what I did was take the stock harness and basicly cut it up to make it work which is not the best idea . Guess its a nother lesson learned LOL I believe looking at my harness with this cut here or this connected kind of make shift the something is not right in the harness it self ????
So back up on the table it goes ! Now it could be ok just to keep messing with what I have but in my mind I should of done this in the first place but I didn't ! So guess the story of the monkey moves on and time to learn something new and how to do it !

I dunno about that Scott. That sounds like a lot of work in the middle of riding season. If it was me, I'd look for the specific wiring issue (bad ground, frayed stator wire, etc) and maybe redo the harness over winter.

I just figure if your charging problem is NOT the wiring, then you won't be any further ahead.

Well rich was right ;D it didn't take rewiring the bike to fix it !

Over the weekend brad,justin,doc hung out and helped out and after replacing the charging system and found that wasn't it figured it was in the wiring . LOL well the problem was when I was cleaning up the wiring I switched two plugs that have the same connections and now its charging and see what else I need to fix which I hope is nothing .

So now the Monkey is off my lift and the FJ is ON !!!

Earlysport said:
Very nice build - stance, color, lines all very impressive!

Earlysport
Yamaha XS400 DOHC project

Thanks but seems the tinkering is never done tho ......

So the fun never stops it seems :mad:
Took the monkey out to enjoy a nice ride and to see if all is well . Well it not or not fully as I went about 4 miles and all was well . Stop at buddy's shop for 10 mins , then went another 5-7 miles and again all seemed well but for a funny idle , no big deal . Ran the 5 miles home and just seemed to be running really rich till I pulled in my shop and bike died and would not fire back up ! I pulled the seat off and check battery ....
Now here's the real odd thing is when I first stoped I checked the battery and it was just over 13.00 but when I check once I got home it was at 10.00 but slowly going up 10.01,10.02,10.03 and so on ! Now it's been sitting for 15 min and it's at 11.39 and stoped !

What in the nine hells is going on ?????????

Very strange indeed......

Could the battery be bad? Maybe not accepting the charge from the stator, but discharging while in use?

Yea rich I think might be it and Brad brought up the same thing about the battery.

Think it very all could be from have problem with elec points , coils , on the charger to long , draining the battery to low... etc etc ! Got it on charger to have load tested

I did read that shorais can be testie !

Here's the link- register now. Ride anything, it's a great weekend.

http://www.clevelandmodsvsrockers.com/

bradj said:
Put that battery next to the english electronic ing

Could be brad !

Wahoo650 said:
Here's the link- register now. Ride anything, it's a great weekend.

http://www.clevelandmodsvsrockers.com/

Might make it up Sunday to check it out will let u know !

Back
Top Bottom