CG125 OHV Build Oddessy

Re: Shenda the Shed

ahh no worries, I meant the front mudguard, it's the only thing im really missing at the moment ;D

and yeah i'll take that tank, do you want me to pay postage for it?

Re: Shenda the Shed

RatBag22 said:
ahh no worries, I meant the front mudguard, it's the only thing im really missing at the moment ;D

and yeah i'll take that tank, do you want me to pay postage for it?

No, I'll give you a shout when it's off and I'm in Cardiff.
By then you might see other bits you want.

Re: Shenda CG125 clone

Progress getting a covered area to start tearing down, nearly cleared, just needs one last push.
Liberally spraying release oil still, but quite aghast at the state of the rims (rust).
Whats the best way to get them down to metal without losing the will to live?

I'm firming up the game plan now:
Lose everything to leave rolling chassis.
Asses condition.
Check all bearings/bushes/shoes

Basic top end engine strip.
Asses condition.

Draw up a budget to recondition to a safe usable state.
Cry.

P1030090.jpg

Stripped the back end today.
The cost saving with these clones is definately with the ancillaries.
Other than the finish, the important bits, wheels brakes and frame seem to be standard Honda.
I resisted the urge to just cut through the loom. :eek:
But I need help understanding what I need to keep ... I'll ask in 0800 cafe section.
P1030093.jpg

P1030092.jpg

gy125.jpg

Re: CG125 clone : Alien Autopsy

So, armed with a bright light, a sharp knife and a large cup of tea I've set about the wiring loom.
I think I have worked out the wiring that will give ignition only/no battery.
If it does / does not look right please shout out!
All set now for more stripping down now I have that logged.

P1030110.jpg

P1030111.jpg

Is it a six or a twelve volt system? looks like it could work, but then again I am no wiring expert. I say just go for it and see what happens.

It is a 12 volt system I think!
Where are all the wiring experts?
How wrong can it go? ;)

I have no idea, But you could short out your cdi or your coils if it isnt wired right when you apply power.

There are only 2 leads coming from the generator which go directly to the CDI in set sockets so I can't get that bit wrong.
So I wouldn't think it actually matters if its 6 or 12v?
It took a while for me to research what was involved in this kind of stand alone system, but once I knew what I should be looking for it was less daunting.

The bit I want to get my head around next is whether I can remove the the coils from the generator that supplied the electrical system, and just leave the ignition generating coil. The coil plate is held static so there is no question of mechanical inbalance, but will there be one caused electricaly? There are 5 coils for the electrical system, but only one for ignition.
Along with removing the starter ring from the fly wheel, I hope this contributes towards a crisp throttle response.
I don't want to throw money at this and if I can make it turn or breathe or burn better for free, I'm up for it.

revheadgl said:
Hi,
I am fairy certain all of the honda clones 110cc and over are 12v, as is just about anything with cdi. Some of the 50cc motors can be 12 or 6 volt, best as I can tell.

Also your wiring diagram clearly depicts a 12v battery. You can read it on the right bottom side.

Glenn

Hey Glenn

Your project bike is an inspiration. I want absolute simplicity!

Re: Shenda CG125 clone - onwards!

A good day with some good news.
While down in civilisation I called into Thunder Road (cheers Crazypj) and asked for clarification on their requirements for a UK daylight MOT.

1. speedo
2. number plate
3. rear reflector
4. horn capable of continuous blast.

I can cope with that.

Then a mate gave me a plastic tank I can mess with, and offered me an old xl 100 front end if I want it. This may have the advantage of being easier to lower/adjust height before committing to any cutting and tapping, as opposed to the current front end where the top triple is a cup rather than a clamp. The Xl forks have a leading axle. Opinions please?

And I got the loom off and the engine out and into the warmth of the house.
I've got to take the head off to replace an exhaust stud , inspect the bore, lap the valves, but I have no intention of disturbing the barrel or crank cases as they are oil tight.

P1030114.jpg

P1030115.jpg

P1030118.jpg

Making pretty solid progress bro. I just finished my wiring yesterday and realized that it isnt to hard. most of the stuff is easy enough to diagnose if something is tweaked. I really like your project y the way I really like the smaller displacement bikes.

Jared said:
Making pretty solid progress bro. I just finished my wiring yesterday and realized that it isnt to hard. most of the stuff is easy enough to diagnose if something is tweaked. I really like your project y the way I really like the smaller displacement bikes.

Slowly but surely! I want to have the status quo of a running bike then mess with it bit by bit, rather than an endless pile of bits. Taking the sheer volume of wiring out of the head light shroud made me think it must have been put in by a gynecologist. Why does it need so much? Jeez, I'm glad to be shot of it!

Leading axle forks reduce trail so can make handling pretty squirrely, particularly at higher speeds
Did they ever fix the dips coming out of LLangeinor going towards Bryncethin?
Even the Manta used to get bit out of shape at 110+ down there

crazypj said:
Leading axle forks reduce trail so can make handling pretty squirrely, particularly at higher speeds
Did they ever fix the dips coming out of LLangeinor going towards Bryncethin?
Even the Manta used to get bit out of shape at 110+ down there

Thanks PJ, I thought they might be twitchier because they are designed to be nibble rather than stable.
Mate, I am ritually humiliated because of my speed. I was overtaken through Llangeinor by a frikin Reliant Robin. In daylight. And it was seen.
The next time I went into the Blaen I was shredded!
So yeah the dips are still there but at 55 in my truck they are a gentle wallow.
We've been hit by a full on gale tonight, and it's lively out there to say the least.
There's a paper shop opened opposite to the Blaen next door to the Chinese, it just appeared there one day so we call it the 'Freaky Shop'.
(They shut the Co-op on the corner and the one down in pont, and built a new one on the Ffaldau Colliery Site. Opposite the Ffaldau Pub which got burnt down by scrotes. It now lives in kit form (lol) in the quarry on the cows back.)
Anyway, I was just in the freaky shop getting some guinness and the girl was on the phone to her husband, because the roof of their garage was getting warmed up for its maiden flight. I went to my truck to get something and the wind nearly ripped the door off!.
There will be trees down.
Just a little snapshot to make you homesick. ;D

Any way, here is the proof you can dismantle a CG engine with a spatula and a bit of wood:

P1030120.jpg

Only 28k miles, all looks and feels ok. sheding the starter will lose a few pounds.

P1030121.jpg

Bore looks ok, no furrows to plant winter potatoes in. I'm not going any further down than this for now.
All to do next is to pop the valves out down at Braunies, Lap 'em in.
Do some thing to remove or seal the starter motor housing on the side cover.
Replace a snapped exhaust stud. The front sprocket is shagged.
The inlet manifold has split. How ever so far the engine is of a quality I would expect from a Honda.

P1030123.jpg

I gave it all a good look over in daylight today. And quality wise the engine is well up to Japanese standards.
It's clearly the first time this engine has been opened up and it was well assembled.
I'm coming to the opinion that anything that required type approval for the uk is good quality, (apart from finish) like the frame, suspension, wheels and brakes.
However the rest of it is pretty crap.
Hopefully get a go with a valve removal tool tomorrow.

Re: CG125 clone

A little progress today...
Removed the Front wheel and attacked the rim lightly with a wire brush, yup the chrome is shot but the rim is sound, hub is good, brake plate sound .

P1030124.jpg

I had an exploratory investigation on the frame, Although the tubing is not exactly seamless cromoly, the welding is surprisingly good and I'm reassured again that all the important stuff is as good as Honda OEM.

P1030128.jpg

P1030127.jpg

I've been heating up the broken exhaust stud and poxy emissions bolt several times then soaking with penetrating oil. Hopefully this will aid removal when I get it in to a workshop on Wednesday.

P1030129.jpg

All in all for a £40 purchase ($60ish) I'm a very happy bunny.

A few more small steps today.
Removed the snapped exhaust stud and re tapped the thread to clear it out.
The seized emissions control bolt sheared :D so to block the port I will tap the port itself with a M12 thread and blank it with a bolt.
Released the valves out, the seats are passable but the ehaust valve is concave and I'll be having it reprofiled. The collet groove on the exhaust valve is not brilliant either, I think it's been run out of adjustment at some time.
I don't want to spend on new valves just yet, however I was offered the chance to have some V8 valves turned to suit. I'm going to save that offer up until I know where I'm going with this engine. If at a later date I get a 150cc barrel and head, I'd rather get good valves made for that.

I primed and painted the front rim, it's not concours ;) but will prevent further corrosion and the paint dries flat black.
I'm itching to get to the forks, find out the travel and see if I can prune a cheeky 2" off the length while I'm checking the seals and changing the oil.
And getting the mudguard off for Ratbag22.

P1030133.jpg

I have to keep reminding my self that the plan is just to sparse it out, asses condition and get it MOT'd. I want the only major exercise at this stage to be fabbing rear sets and plumbing some kind of exhaust to avoid them. In my fantasy build I'd quite simply get a Sammy Miller Tials exhaust for a TL 125.
http://www.sammymillerproducts.co.uk/product699.html

More laborious cleaning and inspecting. The front end is done now though.
A few little pits in one leg but the lowest just reaches the seal under full compression with springs removed.
I dressed them out, Filled them with glue then polished them smooth.
Decided not to mess with the fork length after a bit of research into suspension tuning.
What I learnt was that the most significant improvement to make is to replace the cup type top tree with a clamp type.
This decreases the torsional flex dramatically.
And of course with a clamp type I can just slide the forks up and mess about more before committing to a cut.

P1030136.jpg

Back
Top Bottom