XS850SG Triple - Now on to the fun stuff

dyerdown

To start off I wanted to build a bike that had classic styling with modern day aesthetics, something that was brutally honest and yet subtle. Completely strip down and rebuild on a budget of less than $1200. I started searching Craigslist and happened across this gem.

WP_000287.jpg

WP_000299.jpg

Complete with no title and Clymer manual!

The PO had bought it 4 years prior and it just sat collecting dust. It has not been registered since 1988 and from what he gathered from when he purchased it, it sat on the side of a barn for almost 20 years. He managed to "rebuild" the carbs. They don't look half bad compared to the rest of the bike.

WP_000285.jpg

WP_000281.jpg

$500 and a 4 hour drive later I had it home.

IMAG0449.jpg

I pretty much started right away tearing it apart.

Pulled the tank and wiring. Removed the handlebars and headlights.
pardon the work space.
IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

awesome!
IMAG0458.jpg

old seat, tank, and new forks off a midnight special
_MG_7458.jpg

I had no clear plan for the bike when I started and still have some things up in the air. The tank had been Kreemed and petcocks where brand new but no gas had been added since. Not liking the lines at all, I found a used 750 tank for 80 bucks!

IMAG0561.jpg

and was way happier with my choice.
IMAG0564.jpg

_MG_7033.jpg

ordered up a pair of clubmans, a Motion Pro push-pull throttle tube, and new grips to help me stance out the lines of the bike a bit more.
473243_10150755176519973_505459972_11268300_897516551_o.jpg

I really enjoy the "patina" on the tank and and wanted to keep it in it's raw form, but seeing some of the work coming out from Classified Moto...
RYLAND_82XS650_A.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

I just had to run with an already great idea.
_MG_7359.jpg

Right now, I'm tackling the front end.
FRONTSUS-1.jpg

I want to rebuild the suspension of the bike first before I start tearing down the motor. What's the point of going fast if I can't turn and stop on a dime? But I also want it to be comfortable. I have a wide butt as it is and the girlfriend has already admitted she has no plans on hopping on the back for a ride so I plan on doing something more à la Wrenchmonkees CX500
honda-cx500-2.jpg

and here is how she sits right now
_MG_7491.jpg

Progress is slow, but with vacation time coming up and a little more motivation from putting myself out here for all to see my next goal is to get the final drive and motor out.

_MG_7100.jpg

I take a lot of pictures

So once the bike is stripped and the front end is done I'll have this to look forward to.
_MG_7501.jpg

thanks for watching!

Re: XS850SG Triple - "I got compression!"

matty dyer! welcome to DTT. you'll find a wealth of knowledge here. Congrats on the new bike. I just got my 350 out of the garage and back into the shop yesterday. Looking forward to the day I can work on it again.

Nice start, and a friend of Go Mamas! She will help you if you get stuck. She is probably one of the better mechanics on here ;D Nice to see you posting again Go. If it weren't for Facebook we wouldn't know how you are doing at all ;D

FYI I have heard that you can use carbs from a modern triumph triple and make wholesale improvements to the performance.

Best of luck, and get started on the title issue now as it could take some time...

Did the 750 tank fit right on the frame or did you have to do some bending? This is going to be a sweet build.

go mama! said:
matty dyer! welcome to DTT. you'll find a wealth of knowledge here. Congrats on the new bike. I just got my 350 out of the garage and back into the shop yesterday. Looking forward to the day I can work on it again.

Thanks Lulu! I was hoping you'd be coming out of the woodwork if I posted. You get your 350 running and bring your butt to SA so we can go riding together. You and your brother have been big inspirations for me to get off my ass and stop talking about it, and the fact that SA and Hill Country have the best riding in Texas it was a no brainer for me to get this started now. Expect me to hit you up regularly for advice. I've been telling Alex about your bike but I don't have any pics of it to show. (so send them). Your hubby really wants to visit and do a ride-a-long with me too, I promise I won't get him shot. ;D

Bozz said:
FYI I have heard that you can use carbs from a modern triumph triple and make wholesale improvements to the performance.

Best of luck, and get started on the title issue now as it could take some time...

They will fit, pretty much just drop in. But for right now if there are no issues with the stock Hitachis I'll leave them on until later on down the road.

As for the title, I'm not too worried nor too eager to get the process started. I work in repossessions so drumming up a title is a bit easier for me since I deal with the proper channels on a daily basis. Thanks for the reiteration though.

sweet another maha triple! love these bikes and the sound of em. looking forward to see your take on this platform.

fuggers said:
Did the 750 tank fit right on the frame or did you have to do some bending? This is going to be a sweet build.

That was the easy part.

There are two posts on either side of the frame where the tank bushings sit in the brackets on the tank.
It has a black plastic "sleeve" capped by a rubber bushing. I didn't take any pictures before I started but they sit like this on the posts (horizontally of course)
_MG_7554.jpg

and then I just trimmed down the posts to make the rubber bushings fit.
_MG_7532.jpg

_MG_7534.jpg

and fit they do!
_MG_7546.jpg

_MG_7551.jpg

I didn't push the tank all the way up but it fits very snug. But you get the idea.

One thing I'm looking forward to is making a bracket for the tank, as it now sits further forward than the original.
_MG_7552.jpg

_MG_7553.jpg

But I was thinking fo trying to incorporate the original plastic sleeve into my bracket and just have the seat tuck under the lip of the tank.
_MG_7556.jpg

I'm not solid on the idea yet. I haven't really seen what anyone else has done.

Mr.Wilde said:
sweet another maha triple! love these bikes and the sound of em. looking forward to see your take on this platform.

thanks man, I plan on doing it right.

make sure you check out the triples forum, too. www.yamaha-triples.com - great resource.

Looking like a great build you'll have! Excited to see more.

i'll be putting on the standard tank and seat on mine, once i clean them up, fix the dents and mod the seat. but i'm fine with hitting the streets with the tear drop tank and two-up seat for now. my girl friend says i can't make it a one seater. i said to my girl friend to get her own bike. didn't go over to well. haha. i'm thinking about making a two-up cafeish seat with the standard. lower the padding and what not. it had the power for it.

TKAT makes fork braces that allow you to run a front fender, but make sure you get the special model. the forks are different from the standards...... thats if you want. from that awesome insperational photo you posted (one of my fav. pics. i'v found online yet), looks like you'll be running fenderless. juggernauts anti-chrome triple is pretty fucking awesome too!

I LOVE IT! Did work on 2 750s and 1 850. my pops has a 79 850 and my neighbor has a 77 750. both great bikes.

I like that look on the tank, you just gonna clear over it?

pvdnh said:
make sure you check out the triples forum, too. www.yamaha-triples.com - great resource.

Looking like a great build you'll have! Excited to see more.

that's actually where I got my tank

Mr.Wilde said:
i'll be putting on the standard tank and seat on mine, once i clean them up, fix the dents and mod the seat. but i'm fine with hitting the streets with the tear drop tank and two-up seat for now. my girl friend says i can't make it a one seater. i said to my girl friend to get her own bike. didn't go over to well. haha. i'm thinking about making a two-up cafeish seat with the standard. lower the padding and what not. it had the power for it.

TKAT makes fork braces that allow you to run a front fender, but make sure you get the special model. the forks are different from the standards...... thats if you want. from that awesome insperational photo you posted (one of my fav. pics. i'v found online yet), looks like you'll be running fenderless. juggernauts anti-chrome triple is pretty fucking awesome too!

Yeah the standard tank really makes a big difference. The 80's "cruiser" styling just didn't do it for me. I still want to make a two up seat too but if the old lady doesn't plan on riding then i see it as a waste of space. She just has a fear of motorcycles as it is.

And which picture are you referring to? I still plan on running with fenders but there won't be much fender to look at ;)

I'll have to check juggernats bike out

fuggers said:
I like that look on the tank, you just gonna clear over it?

yup, that's the plan. I just love the way the tank looks as is, but the skunk stripe is just to add a bit of contrast and low buck custom look.

dyerdown said:
Yeah the standard tank really makes a big difference. The 80's "cruiser" styling just didn't do it for me. I still want to make a two up seat too but if the old lady doesn't plan on riding then i see it as a waste of space. She just has a fear of motorcycles as it is.

And which picture are you referring to? I still plan on running with fenders but there won't be much fender to look at ;)

I'll have to check juggernats bike out

aww damn. thats what happens when you have a couple of beers and go online. haha. i was checking out a few triple builds and got that picture mixed up. this is the picture i was talking about

and heres a link to juggernauts build.
Code:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20513.90

Attachments

• yamaha-xs-750-classified-moto_1.jpg
    yamaha-xs-750-classified-moto_1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 312

Tail end of my vacation and haven't spent any time on the bike.

Until today!
Woke up with a hair up my butt and started attacking the rear end.
Used my two favorite tools knocking out the rear axle.
IMG_7796.jpg

and was greeted with this lovely mess.
IMG_7812.jpg

IMG_7799.jpg

Good thing I'm tearing this thing down first.

I also took out the battery box and freed up a lot of mess under the seat. Kind of like the open space underneath but I still have the side covers and wanted to use them because they are in such good condition. No pictures of those though...

IMG_7804.jpg

IMG_7808.jpg

Getting there on the tank. I was thinking of a turned or burled look on the bare metal.

Back
Top Bottom