Best way to paint nipples?

Forward

Been Around the Block
;D

I had an idea to take a piece of string/rope and tie a knot at the end, slide a nipple on tie another knot and so on...

What ways have you guys painted them off the rim?

You want to avoid getting paint on the threads, I've painted them in the past by taping the threads on my spokes with plumbers thread seal tape (the white stuff). and then masking the rest of the spoke. Then I screw the nipple onto the spoke 5 or so turns and stab the other end of the spoke into some floral foam, hang it up and spray them all at once.

Or you can just lift up your shirt and spray your nip, that's probably the easiest way I can think of..

I'd think about threading them onto coat hanger or other stiff wire horizontally and spraying them.

Then I'd perhaps using a cut spoke or tap / threaded rod / cut bolt that matches the spoke threads chase the threads of the nipples to get rid of any overspray. Would only take 10 minutes to do 80 spokes. Cordless drill, zap zap zap.

But you're going to run into finish problems when you go to lace the rims / torque the nipples aren't you?

I was thinking the same thing as Tim in regard to finish, but polishing all those little buggers seems difficult too. just getting them cleaned up seems painful. vise grips to hold on to them and a wire wheel?

polishing them would be quick and easy on the spoke but it isn't the look I am going for with this set of wheels.

Are you saying that the finnish would be comprimised when loacing them back up?

;D ... maybe if you do all the tightening from the flathead end but i sense that it gets tough and youll need to use a wrench when it gets tight.

I see what you mean...

Powdercoat? More durable right?

I just want to prevent masking off every spoke. Plus I want to teach myself how to lace a wheel. So they are coming apart regardless.

Straightened out wire coat hanger works, but, the paint isn't very durable when building wheel.
If you primer before paint, almost all of it will chip off.
Appliance epoxy without undercoat works better.
Haven't tried powder coat, should be tough enough for spoke wrench not to chip it?

Re: Re: Best way to paint nipples?

crazypj said:
Straightened out wire coat hanger works, but, the paint isn't very durable when building wheel.
If you primer before paint, almost all of it will chip off.
Appliance epoxy without undercoat works better.
Haven't tried powder coat, should be tough enough for spoke wrench not to chip it?
Off topic....but do you think this rule you speak of applies to the master cylinder I rebuilt today. Should I just spray it black with appliance epoxy. (Sorry for the random question op.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Use brake caliper paint
I've been using Dupli-Color caliper paint.
It needs at least a week to harden and 'cooking' it would probably be a good idea for maximum durability

Back
Top Bottom