gs450 project from Aus

Thanks for the comments, it's starting to resemble a bike again.

Does anyone know if GS500 coils work on a GS450?

One of my coils is damaged and it seems a lot easier to find the 500 coils, and a lot cheaper than getting the Dyna ignition.

IMG-20130107-00301_zps345bfcd8.jpg

Collo, I'd be amazed if they didn't work. The mounts may be different, and I'm sure the wiring is different, but they would probably have the same impedance.

Oops! Forgot to mention:

I'm a member on the GSTwins site as well. I'll ask for the coil details over there and let you know.

edit: copy and paste from GSTwins :

You can also check the coils with a multimeter. There are two coils per side. A primary and a secondary.

The primary can be measured by checking the resistance between +wire and -wire on the coil pack. It should measure 3-6 ohms or resistance.

The secondary coil can be measured from the +wire to the plug cap and be around 18-30 Kohms.

Thanks Rich for the info.

Got the tank mounted about an inch and a half higher at the back as I didn't like the sloping tank angle, engine in obviously and wiring back in place.

IMG-20130115-00307_zps803472f9.jpg

Needs side cover gaskets and rear shocks next

Hey Collo looking good!

Whats the plan to cover the battery area where the seat ramps up? are you fabbing a battery cover back there, or leaving it open?

I'm loving how yours and Rich's rims look once they are redone. I really got to get onto that before spring. Makes a HUGE difference in the apprearence of those mags.

Gary

Hey Collo

I just started a build on a 81' gs450e a few days ago and I was walking out of my garage and noticed that slant in the tank mounting... never had noticed it before.. saw your post about that on here and think I am gonna take that idea and put it to work on mine. How did you go about changing the way that mounted on? I was originally going to lower my bike a bit.. still thinking about it, just not sure the over all direction I wanna go.. Saw some 'Brat style' racers online and really am liking that Low profile look.

~A

Hi Gary,
Haven't worked out what I will do with the battery area as yet, but might will work on that soon, may re-glass that area.

Hi Aries,
I was never a fan of the slanting tank, but I really like the look of the tank and its size on the small frame. Originally I tried to lift the tank at the back but noticed the petcock was then hitting the frame and wouldn't allow the lift. I then thought I could just buy an aftermarket petcock that is smaller but I didn't want one more variable which could go wrong.

So, turned out the stock petcock has a tap which can be turned around and finally it fits. Next problem is the mounting, up front not an issue, so at the back I have welded a second nut just above the original mount. The nut is the same size but is on an angle, added some spacers and not it fits perfect. I will put some photos up soon which may help.

Basically, change the petcock tap angle, lift up the back of the tank to the height you want, wedge it with something to hold it there, then see what angle your new nut will need to be welded near the old one.

Hope that helps,

Collo

Hi Aries,
Just thought I would post a photo of the new mount I made to lift the tank up a bit at the back. The hole on top is the new one and behind it is a nut that has been welded on.
Canberra-20130212-00315_zpsc4ee09d2.jpg

By the way, got the bike to start after a nightmare episode of trying to sort out the harness. Still not perfect but it's a good step in the right direction. Here as she looks now...
Canberra-20130212-00316_zpsbf0e99a1.jpg

I have a question and hoping to get some help. The ignition coil I have is broken so I just have the switch, however it has 4 wires going to it. Is there a way I can just rewire in a 'on/off' switch? I'll try an get a photo soon to help.

Collo said:
I have a question and hoping to get some help. The ignition coil I have is broken so I just have the switch, however it has 4 wires going to it. Is there a way I can just rewire in a 'on/off' switch? I'll try an get a photo soon to help.

I am assuming this is a typo, and you meant to say "ignition switch" not "ignition coil."

Yes, you can just use a switch. The GS450 ignition switch has "Off," "On," and "Parking Light" positions. The parking light position lights the tail light, but all other circuits are off. You don't need or want that circuit.

You will need a double pole switch. "On" connects the orange and red wires, (ignition circuit,) and the gray and brown wires, (lighting.)

Oh man, that's just the help I was after, and yes I did mean ignition not coil.
Thanks heaps, I will sort that out soon, the ease of stealing it shouldn't be an issue so not too worried.

Just one thing to watch with that Collo is up here it won't pass a roadworthy like that, not sure about you guys down there though...

Hi,

Got the bike started today. Painted the tank with cans and no booth but it's 'good from far, but far from good'.

IMG-20130314-00317_zps654ce1a0.jpg

Getting a fair bit done this week. All up and running, rear brake working and seat is coming along. Having problems bleeding the front brake it wont pump any pressure.

Also the clutch seems stuck as the clutch rod is loose and spins freely is that broken? I can run the bike on a stand and change gear without the clutch but pulling the lever doesn't change a thing.

It's going to a shop next week to have some things looked at so it will be ready for the road. Roadworthy all taken care of...can't wait to ride it!

Sounds like maybe the clutch cable just needs adjusted? I'm pretty sure the clutch rod should spin freely (most don't though because of all the dirt / oil that works its way around).

Hey Collo, good stuff!

With the brake, try getting a big syringe on some hose that will snugly fit the bleed nipple. Crack it open and push some brake fluid up from the caliper end. Be careful you don't overflow the reservoir. Tighten the nipple and try bleeding again.

If it still doesn't bleed and firm up nice and tight, give the brake lever some real good firm squeezes to the 'bar with the bleed nipple tightened up and then strap the lever tight to the 'bar with some rope or a bungy cord or whatever and leave it overnight.

Pretty sure yours is an '82 like mine, and you'll find your clutch pushrod that is spinning is only a few inches long as it's a two part rod. That will explain the spinning.

As Rich said, sounds like you need a cable adjustment.

The other thing is that after sitting still so long, the clutch plates won't be working normally. Once you try to get her motivated under her own steam with the properly adjusted clutch cable the plates should free up nicely in theory.

Back
Top Bottom