1971 Honda 175cc Cafe Build

Von Kirk 75 dt250 said:
any updates dude?

Yeah, I've been working on tons of stuff:

The clips ons I got were only 9 inches long, wasn't enough room to run the stock controls, I thought about looking for after market levers, throttle, etc but figured it'd just be easier, and cheaper to add a couple inches to them -

600px-IMG_3233.jpg

Been sorting out all the electrics, the wiring on this bike is so simple. Only one fuse!
I've got everything fitting nicely under the seat hump.

600px-IMG_3327.jpg

I chopped the original muffler, it didn't go with the look. I definitely need to some noise reduction/back pressure. Anyone know of internal baffles that I can slide in these pipes?

600px-IMG_3297.jpg

• Other things I need to sort out:
    • Buy some lower profile headlight ears
    • Figure out where I'm mounting the rear blinkers
    • Find a tail light that'll work bolted to the bottom of the battery tray

Looking good. Nice clean wiring too, I'm sure you're smart enough to stash an extra fuse in there like me, but not as dumb as me to not have a screwdriver (or hell even a dime to pop the aircraft fasteners to take off of my tail to get to it). For a baffle look on ebay for something that will fit in there, I had to make one out of 2 of these - http://www.amazon.com/Walker-41886-Exhaust-Pipe-Reducer/dp/B0015KZNLU I was lucky enough to find ones with and OD that was the exact ID of my pipe. Then welded it together, drilled with holes and packed with material.

Hmm i took a measurement on the pipes, looks like 1-1/4 inch ID and 10-3/8 OD. Maybe I'll order a couple of these and hear how they sound - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-MUSCLE-MUFFLER-BAFFLE-4-LONG-1-1-4-DIA-USA-MADE-/270689121950#ht_840wt_1165

Von Kirk 75 dt250 said:
You are truely an amazing welder. im bearly startin out. workin with angle iron and fuckin with building mini frames

Thanks man, in reality my welds usually suck ass. Up until a few weeks ago the only thing I could get out my $100 harbor freight welder looked like a series of blobs and bubbles. I am starting to get some better welds now, even an actual bead sometimes. I guess it comes down to having the confidence to do something you don't know how to do.

Nice clip-on work. The build is looking good so far. Are those air filters the K&N ones, or generic, or something else.?

dcbryan said:
Thanks man, in reality my welds usually suck ass. Up until a few weeks ago the only thing I could get out my $100 harbor freight welder looked like a series of blobs and bubbles. I am starting to get some better welds now, even an actual bead sometimes. I guess it comes down to having the confidence to do something you don't know how to do.
I can dig it man, thats how i am when working on my dt250. i am always scared to do shit.

Hey how do those CL pipes fit on that SL frame. Im building a CB/SL mash up. I want to run the high pipes but was not sure if they would fit or not. Could you sho a picture of how they clear the frame in the front? Bike is looking good.

Hey guys, sorry I got behind on posting here. Good news - the bike is up and running!

e0a02db4c8a511e1a23c22000a1c9e05_7.jpg

Bad news, still have a lot of things left to do. As you can see I have about 12 inches of extra slack on the cables, so I need to get them shortened.

It's also been smoking out one one cylinder, which I hoped would burn off, but it doesn't look like it's going to. So I'm guessing that could be a potential major problem. Still have to paint the seat hump. The carbs are pretty far out of tune as well, but hey at least it's running.

I'll get some more pictures of soon.

ffjmoore said:
Hey how do those CL pipes fit on that SL frame. Im building a CB/SL mash up. I want to run the high pipes but was not sure if they would fit or not. Could you sho a picture of how they clear the frame in the front? Bike is looking good.
CL pipes on the SL tube frame clear it just fine. Had to weld a custom mounting spot, but that was it.

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw a quick questions on here. I'm gonna pull the engine out of this bike tonight.

Ever since I rebuilt it, there's been white smoke coming out of the left cylinder. Not to bad on idle, but when I rev it, it really shoots out. The plug doesn't really get too fouled, but I have pulled that exhaust pipe off, and right where it meets the engine, it's all oily and black.

Thoughts on what the culprit might be? I was thinking maybe I broke an oil ring? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

dcbryan said:
Hey guys, just thought I'd throw a quick questions on here. I'm gonna pull the engine out of this bike tonight.

Ever since I rebuilt it, there's been white smoke coming out of the left cylinder. Not to bad on idle, but when I rev it, it really shoots out. The plug doesn't really get too fouled, but I have pulled that exhaust pipe off, and right where it meets the engine, it's all oily and black.

Thoughts on what the culprit might be? I was thinking maybe I broke an oil ring? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

It's most likely the rings. Does the smoke have a blue tint to it? Generally white smoke is from coolant burning off and blue is from oil, And my best guess is that your little beast isn't water cooled. Anther thing that is a possibility, but not likely would be look valve stem guides or bad seals, but I'm not sure these motors have seals on the stems. Did you rebuild the engine?

Did you "clock" the rings when you installed them? The gap on each ring shouldn't line up with the wrist pin or a gap in another ring. Having gaps line up gives oil a direct route into the combustion chamber. Just a thought.

When an air cooled engine exhausts white smoke, this is an indication of engine crankcase oil burning. Make sure the amount of oil is correct, the type of oil is correct, and then rings are your likely culprit.

56_oval said:
It's most likely the rings. Does the smoke have a blue tint to it? Generally white smoke is from coolant burning off and blue is from oil, And my best guess is that your little beast isn't water cooled. Anther thing that is a possibility, but not likely would be look valve stem guides or bad seals, but I'm not sure these motors have seals on the stems. Did you rebuild the engine?

I'd say yeah, maybe there is a little blue to the smoke. I didn't replace the valve stem guides...I'm pretty sure I remember just putting the old guides back in. I did rebuild the motor, just the top end. new rings, honed the cylinders all new gasket set.

SeekingZero said:
When an air cooled engine exhausts white smoke, this is an indication of engine crankcase oil burning. Make sure the amount of oil is correct, the type of oil is correct, and then rings are your likely culprit.
Well since one cylinder has never smoked at all, I'm assuming amount and type of oil isn't the issue.

kieferocks said:
Did you "clock" the rings when you installed them? The gap on each ring shouldn't line up with the wrist pin or a gap in another ring. Having gaps line up gives oil a direct route into the combustion chamber. Just a thought.
I did set the gaps on the rings at ~120 degrees apart, my only guess is I broke one and didn't notice, which seems unlikely really.

I didn't get to this tonight, trying to get my xs650 running. It's got some unknown mysterious ghost of a starting problem.

dcbryan said:
I'd say yeah, maybe there is a little blue to the smoke. I didn't replace the valve stem guides...I'm pretty sure I remember just putting the old guides back in. I did rebuild the motor, just the top end. new rings, honed the cylinders all new gasket set.

Well since one cylinder has never smoked at all, I'm assuming amount and type of oil isn't the issue.
I did set the gaps on the rings at ~120 degrees apart, my only guess is I broke one and didn't notice, which seems unlikely really.

I didn't get to this tonight, trying to get my xs650 running. It's got some unknown mysterious ghost of a starting problem.

Just pull the top end again and check to see if there is a broken ring. If you rebuilt it with new rings and the honing was to spec, then you shouldn't be smoking.

SeekingZero said:

Also make sure it's not over filled...

Been following this thread.

Get the motor out and apart yet? Curious as to what's causing the smoking.

Hope you get it figured out quick and finished up soon.

Back
Top Bottom