MY GS 400 IN DIFFERENT STAGES

Big Rich said:
What rear wheel did you find?

The frame is coming along nicely!
1990 gs 500e rearwheel was the only one available at the moment :(
Now its going to be a couple of non wrenching days due to me changing adress,but i might be lucky and get an hour or two to night.
You just have to grind the oat when its water on the mill ;)

Cool.

I did a bunch of measuring between my GS450 rear wheel and the GS500 rear wheel. The center line of the sprocket moved 12mm with the GS500 wheel. I'm assuming you'll be doing a 520 chain conversion? If so, a late model GS500f front sprocket (04-09) fit my bike just fine. A couple of the sprocket lockwashers on the INSIDE of the sprocket (between it and the engine) helped to space it out about 1.5mm. I bought a JT rear sprocket which is undercut on one side, and if it is mounted backwards (with the undercut side mounted towards the wheel), it moves the center line 1.5mm again.

So out of that 12mm offset, the front sprocket is moved out 1.5mm, and the rear sprocket is moved in 1.5mm, leaving 9mm to deal with. That's how much the rear sprocket carrier will need cut back for the chain to align.

Does all that make sense?

So its doable then? Promise....ha ha.....
found these ofset sprockets http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=465&categoryId=-1
But they are 530 chain kit.
Is this something i could use??
And i found out last night that my 450 engine is a 400cc engine even if i bought it as a 450.
But thats the way it goes when you buy stuff unseen late saturday nights,and mount them in the same period.... lol!

Finally done with the final layer of matte clearcoat...
Couldn`t be more happy with the looks of it... :)

And Rich,do you know if it would be a easy fit to use the swingarm from the gs 500?
Just weld on some brackets for the twin shocks?

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 259
I'll be back with more details, but here's the skinny:

GS500 swinger fits with some work, but is a couple inches longer than stock
Don't order the offset sprocket yet - need to line things up first.
GS400, GS450, and GS500 motors are very similar.

You are like suzuki wikipedia Rich! :)
I have decided to use the original swingarm.
Stripped the paint of it and soaked it in epoxy at the chain side and painted of the rest with matte clearpaint!
Mounted it up for a look!
Any suggestions,should i paint it like the frame?
I am doing the same to the fueltank,so i think it might be a good match.
Had a couple of small holes in the tank so i sealed them of with methylated(?) and epoxy, mixed them and heated it GENTLY inside the tank (while turning it in every direction) untill the methylated had evaporated, and vips voila i have a sealed, non leaking tank that wont rust for eternity.....

Attachments

• DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 246
Well the naked look got a little to ratty afterall.
So therefor i primed and painted the swingarm in pearlgrey semigloss instead!Think it will break in nice with the color of the frame!
Guessing it allso will be this on the tank when i couldnt buy less than a "pint",so i have paint and hardener to paint a whole minivan....lol :p
Quick pic of the new swingcolor!

Attachments

• DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    883.4 KB · Views: 272
Finished of the swingarm and testmounted it. ,
And luckily stewie Wonder dropped by to finish of the motor clean up!
And the shit thats still on there can stay it would be easier to rub my ass with my elbow than to get it of!
To morrow i will hopefully take a roadtrip and pick up my rear wheel and....johooo

Attachments

• DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 262
Well got an hour to play,and i have tried three different looks on the svingarm,and this is the final paint i`m doing ???!!!!
Exept the alloy color i dont want to have more than three different colors of paint on the bike when done.
The frame color,vanilla tank (fenders) and other stuff i`m going to do semigloss black.....
Here`s a pic off the final looks of the svingarm!

Attachments

• DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 258
Now i am finally ready (with the limited time i`ve got) to put the "polished" motor back in all by my selves.......exiting....NOT!
When i pulled the motor i just laid the frame sideways at the floor, pulled the bolts and straightened the frame back up....easy!
But with a newly painted frame i am not sure how this will end ???
This is my time,NOW.......................................... or tuesday......... ???

One pair of hands only :'(
It looks like a task for tuesday when i got an extra pair of hands

Looks like i got an extra pair of hands for to night when my son is in his bed to charge his batteries...
Finally getting the engine back in!!(not tuesday) ;D

Sure sounds simple enough don't it. But a real high stress time trying no to scratch the paint.
Glad you did your research and found the "easy" way to do it.

Like pearls on a string.....LOL
Motor brackets and some brake parts finally ready to go back on the bike!!
And my father machined some spacers and a bolt wich allows the original 18" to slide right in the usd.......... 8)
Picking up my son at his friends have some qualitytime and put the motor back in when he`s sleeping........
If all goes as planned i will be suicidal in a day or two when wiring starts i REALLY HATE that job.
So i have elliminated,the gear indicator,neutral and highbeam bulbs.
Ignition(with key start),lights,turnsignals and killswitch is all....
Well engine first :D

Attachments

• DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    826.2 KB · Views: 244
I`ve just had a disaster with my engine that jumped right into the frame- NO PROBLEMO,but when i had entered the 2 bolts in the back of the motor and the two under/side of the motor was tightened up there was all of a sudden a creek of oil coming out around the frame and the sadest of all had happened: There was no spacer at that bolt and i now got a hole in my engine case :'( :'( :'(
Anyone tried to fix such thing with Alu-stick,mega metal etc??

Attachments

• disaster.jpg
    disaster.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 259
Thats about right..... :p
Have anyone had any experience with Aluminium-paste/ Alu-stick/ Megametal to fill holes in engine cases???????????

Back
Top Bottom