Need help

Kyle Hutchins

I'm pretty new to motorcycles but I recently picked up a 1979 Honda cb125s and the bike is in pretty decent shape but it was just in some desperate need of love. It turns over but the throttle will barely turn which I believe is something having to do with the carb but my main concern is that it doesn't shift its like the bike is stuck in gear or something the shifter moves but it won't go into another gear so I'm wondering if any of you have any advice on what to do

Sent from my XT1030 using DO THE TON mobile app

The shifter moves but doesn't change gears? Try cleaning the clutch plates and setting the adjustment to stock specs.

As far as the throttle, it could be a number of things. Stuck slide in the carb, stuck throttle assembly, or more likely a frozen cable. Get yourself a factory manual (there are a ton of PDFs available online) and start setting everything to stock and figure out what works and what doesn't. You WILL need to clean the carb. I guarantee that.

The 125 is a super simple machine, and a great introduction to vintage motorcycle ownership.

Start a build thread and post pics (we like pics) so folks can follow along and lend a virtual hand. Also, make sure you check in with one of the location specific threads. May be members in your area that would be willing to lend an actual hand.

Good luck and welcome to DTT!

Transmissions don't like to shift gears unless the shafts are spinning.
If you are trying to shift without the motor running, put the bike on a stand and try spinning the rear tire while moving the shifter through the gears.

If the bike is running and you are having this problem, do as VonYinzer says.

Attachments

• 1470311295492.jpg
    1470311295492.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 909
Actually yea I was looking at trying to get rid of it from what the guy I bought it from said is that its a universal fit sort of thing I'm not sure though if its leaky or not because the stock one I have on it now is

Sent from my XT1030 using DO THE TON mobile app

http://www.1977mopeds.com/

Awesome moped parts retailer. All kinds of nifty parts that work really well on the small frame motorbikes.

Back
Top Bottom