Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe

I use my phone running a app called Waze in my cars and on my other bike and the MPH is spot on to the speedo.

I don't really care too much about accuracy, I haven't been able to set the speedo on my Moto Guzzi to be even close, despite measuring the front wheel diameter twice. It is off by at least 10 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Speedo is one thing but I track my fuel level based off of mileage. That's what is most inaccurate on a GPS when you account for curves and elevation. The speed itself is usually pretty accurate. There's got to be a reason auto manufactures don't use GPS for speed and distance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

But the GPS uses maps to show your route and wouldn't that allow it to use the known distances between points, like for instance intersections, to calculate mileage. I don't know much at all about this, so just throwing it out there.

A GPS speedometer doesn't use maps. It updates and gets NMEA sentences from the satellites then parses that data to get the speed, coordinates and a host of other things. Your actual mileage is based off of distances between two points. How far apart those two points are will be dictated by the update rate of the GPS module used and of course your moving speed. Download a GPS speedometer app on your phone that tracks mileage and you'll see how far off it can get even on flat curvy roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

FYI - I thought that this was pretty interesting.

GPS Complementary Technologies

The iPhone has several complementary technologies on board that work in conjunction with the GPS chip to master the phone's location.

Accelerometer and Gyroscope: The iPhone has an amazingly small 6-axis gyroscope and accelerometer combination chip on board. The gyroscope tells how your phone is oriented at all times. The accelerometer detects and records motions big and small as inputs the phone can use.

Wi-Fi Tracking: When GPS doesn't work well, such as inside buildings or among tall buildings, Wi-Fi tracking can replace or supplement it. Wi-Fi tracking uses a database of Wi-Fi networks around the world to triangulate the phone's position based on multiple Wi-Fi signals.

Compass: Your iPhone has a digital compass as part of its motion-tracking chip. The compass is used to supplement other motion technologies and to orient any map that you happen to be using. The compass comes into play, for example, when you tap the Maps arrow to orient a map. The Compass may also be used on its own.

Barometer: You might think of a barometer, which measures air pressure, as primarily a weather-prediction device, but it's not used for that purpose on an iPhone. The barometer supplements the GPS chip for measuring elevation changes to create more accurate elevation and elevation-change readings.

M10 Motion Coprocessor: In the iPhone, Apple uses its own M10 motion coprocessor chip to continuously measure data from the accelerometer, compass, gyroscope, and barometer. This offloads work from the A10 Fusion chip for improved power efficiency.

https://www.lifewire.com/iphone-gps-set-up-1683393

Took some pics today on a ride....

d79447d355a88bb77e14c59bb4e9b79a.jpg

f15fffc96304370ffe75e99401b04dc3.jpg

5354ba5c0dac28f9fbbefaec153d9157.jpg

d0b42d1544b2aa7b9cdca2cbe641a2f7.jpg

4ad77e5f1fa8c0adfda982560416dac2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

A question if I may... I think my Guzzi has the same rectifier set up as yours, and like you its confusing me how to wire it up

It has 4 wires going into to it. (see pic)

They are labelled from left to right, the first two have a wave sign, the third a '+' and 'L.E' and the fourth with an open switch sign. Though the '+' sign could be to id another pin which is missing on my rectifier.

There are three wires from the alternator, a grey wire and two yellows, the latter of which I think both go to the rectifier (the first two id with a wave sign).

The grey wire from the alternator I'm told goes directly to the +ve side of the battery, as its already rectified at the alternator.

Which leaves the two connections on the rectifier, the third 'L.E' and the fourth (open switch sign).

My best guess is the fourth connection is to operated a charging idiot light, but the third with the Id 'LE' is a mystery.

My best guess is that it too goes to the +ve side of the battery, so the rectifier can tell when the battery is being over charged and so limit to charge from the alternator.

Can you confirm if this is the case, and if not how you wired up your rectifier?

Attachments

• guzzialtwiring 008.JPG
    guzzialtwiring 008.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 816
Rusnak_322 said:
Has anyone ever used a GPS speedo?
the speedometer on my bike has the ability to upgrade to a GPS. It isn't cheap at $132

https://www.amazon.com/Koso-KK000001-Speed-Signal-Converter/dp/B01II29JH6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1497643259&sr=1-1&keywords=koso+gps

ko-kk000001-03_01.jpg

The speed reader that works off of magnets on the front wheel is UGLY. the wire is very thick and needs a lot of zip ties to keep it close to the front brake line.

with the drum/shaft drive rear wheel, there is no way to mount it in the back.

How well do these work? does the black box have to be mounted anywhere special? In line of sight to the sky?? I wouldn't think so, my phone GPS doesn't need that, but who knows??

thanks for your help
Is this some proprietary gps chip for these gauges only? All a gps chip is going to do is provide NMEA data that would then get parsed by the processor. I developed a digital gauge gps speedometer with screen from a very cheap chip, but the internals are all the same, UBLOX neo 6 or 7 are popular. And I have an arduino nano do the heavy lifting. Four wires are all that is needed, RX, TX, VIN, Ground. If you can figure out the pinout on your gauge you can get a very cheap chip, I'm talking sub $12 so long as the gauge you have doesn't need to communicate with a specific gps chip. I have my chip mounted to the front forks and it takes approx. 30 seconds to get a gps lock. The ones with a battery or EEPROM save your last location and have a hot boot function, so your lock is instant.

I built a bike for my wife, so that she has a vintage bike to ride when I am on my Moto Guzzi. See build thread in my signature.

e12df3675f2947c9ebee5c3405b319a9.jpg

882765c1c709c97d7185921a9cbcb179.jpg

8853efbef54abcca60874fe7f24a2a9c.jpg

37e0feebf5e296d63fe23f858f739fa1.jpg

afbc8a2d7f410fb29175eee2c3bcf5f4.jpg

d204138f0864f1e7bf97a8e28937d68d.jpg

Cleaned up the garage after building the XS400.

I decided to finally buy a HF work table. My wife has been bugging me for 2 years to get one, but I am cheap and my home made table has worked for 20+ years. But the coffee tables I was using as a base are getting wobbly.

a0fddf7dc4c7eddb3be21b1dd5c8b0f3.jpg

c9f3d71ccb7e2cb313948c4d4972f8fd.jpg

28a7c00142f93a3d292618c6c6966502.jpg

Here are some pics from today's ride. My wife wanted to get a picture of her XS400 against a mural, like I did with the Prince pic above. Her bike wasn't done at that point.

99c48081f3789044d29c0f745130dd70.jpg

c48c2143aa2c56d00e8d6ae7d16ef31c.jpg

Her bike turned out to be a real fun ride.

07da2cdccab89c021239bbe4fda24405.jpg

Hey rusnak. What is the actual motorcycle that your tank on your moto guzzi off of? I see people using that style of tank on a verity of different builds and it's by far my favorite tank style. But I don't know what motorcycle / motorcycles that tank originates from

Lots of haters think that this tank is overused. I don't care, I think it was overused because it looks great and is cheap.

benelli mojave 360

cb70f40556312ff6696cbc2e1b31fda9.jpg

Rusnak_322 said:
Lots of haters think that this tank is overused. I don't care, I think it was overused because it looks great and is cheap.

It's probably the same haters that think a Triton is the only real café bike. :p

Back
Top Bottom