Best place to live..... for motorcycling

I just moved to portland from orange county, So cal is a nice place to visit but there really isnt that much worth riding down there, a few twisty canyons here and there but thats about it. the weather is sunny but you try riding all day in your leathers in ~100 degree weather and see how nice it is.

Ive only been in portland since october but its a really well layed out city. theres cool spots all dotting different neighborhoods, good coffee, good beer (I hear, I dont drink so I dont know) amazing vintage shops and its surrounded by really nice scenic roads. some are really technical and fun to do runs on and some are nice and curvy for some two up rides.

plus the city makes its own track. I get off work at about 11 and the freeways are dead, I can go south on the 405 then cross over the river and go up on the 5 then cross the river again and go back down the 405. takes about 15 minutes a lap (so far) and its the perfect way to blow off steam after work.

All that said, I would probably choose the roads in italy if were talking pure riding country.

xcaptainxbloodx said:
I just moved to portland from orange county, So cal is a nice place to visit but there really isnt that much worth riding down there, a few twisty canyons here and there but thats about it. the weather is sunny but you try riding all day in your leathers in ~100 degree weather and see how nice it is.

Ive only been in portland since october but its a really well layed out city. theres cool spots all dotting different neighborhoods, good coffee, good beer (I hear, I dont drink so I dont know) amazing vintage shops and its surrounded by really nice scenic roads. some are really technical and fun to do runs on and some are nice and curvy for some two up rides.

plus the city makes its own track. I get off work at about 11 and the freeways are dead, I can go south on the 405 then cross over the river and go up on the 5 then cross the river again and go back down the 405. takes about 15 minutes a lap (so far) and its the perfect way to blow off steam after work.

All that said, I would probably choose the roads in italy if were talking pure riding country.

if you haven't already, make sure you hit up voodoo donuts, on burnside, i think.

Fly in the ointment time....

Australia by a LONG margin. It's summer about 300 days a year, rains even less, surrounded by beaches.....

And yeah - I've spent a few years in Europe and the US in my time. Which was nice, but no contest if you're talking about the best place to ride.

Some of our roads could be a bit better , though... ::)

Mach-5(50) said:
if you haven't already, make sure you hit up voodoo donuts, on burnside, i think.

ohh im familiar, they do good work. stumptown has a shop about a block away from it too. good stuff.

hillsy said:
Fly in the ointment time....

Australia by a LONG margin. It's summer about 300 days a year, rains even less, surrounded by beaches.....

And yeah - I've spent a few years in Europe and the US in my time. Which was nice, but no contest if you're talking about the best place to ride.

Some of our roads could be a bit better , though... ::)

Hardly a fly dude, er.. mate? sounds glorious... 300 days. Winter in Indiana is quite dissapointing. If a guy wanted to have a 'Google Earth' look at one of your nicer bike roads, where about would he look?

isolato said:
Hardly a fly dude, er.. mate? sounds glorious... 300 days. Winter in Indiana is quite dissapointing. If a guy wanted to have a 'Google Earth' look at one of your nicer bike roads, where about would he look?

Since you said Glorious.... try Mt Glorious in Queensland. That's pretty close to Brisbane (my home town). Start at The Gap, go though Mt Nebo to Mt Glorious, then past Somerset Dam to Kilcoy, back through Woodford, Mt Mee, Dayboro, Samford and you're pretty well back where you started........About a 100 mile loop. That's all sweeping bushland roads with cooling rainforests at all the Mt's. You got to be careful though - it's a well known bike road and a lot of the corners are unmarked and can come up pretty quick.....

Or try the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. That one is over 100 miles of sweeping roads that hugs the south east coast of Aus, a lot of it is on the edge of the cliffs off the Antarctic Ocean (definitely don't get your corners wrong here!).

Or try Atherton in North Queensland. Start at Cairns, go through Mareeba to Atheron, then over to Gordonvale and back to Cairns. Just over 100 miles of sweeping rainforest mecca....

Man, there's so many....I feel guilty living here and not having ridden more of them.....

hillsy said:
Since you said Glorious.... try Mt Glorious in Queensland. That's pretty close to Brisbane (my home town). Start at The Gap, go though Mt Nebo to Mt Glorious, then past Somerset Dam to Kilcoy, back through Woodford, Mt Mee, Dayboro, Samford and you're pretty well back where you started........About a 100 mile loop. That's all sweeping bushland roads with cooling rainforests at all the Mt's. You got to be careful though - it's a well known bike road and a lot of the corners are unmarked and can come up pretty quick.....

Or try the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. That one is over 100 miles of sweeping roads that hugs the south east coast of Aus, a lot of it is on the edge of the cliffs off the Antarctic Ocean (definitely don't get your corners wrong here!).

Or try Atherton in North Queensland. Start at Cairns, go through Mareeba to Atheron, then over to Gordonvale and back to Cairns. Just over 100 miles of sweeping rainforest mecca....

Man, there's so many....I feel guilty living here and not having ridden more of them.....

you should feel guilty, that area is beautiful. I got lost right away from Nebo, but every way I went was super. those ridgeline roads are made for riding. looks alot like southern North Carolina, only better weather. and MUCH larger. I'll put your road in my 'bucket list' thanks

Europe would be kool....But if You wanna stay in N.A..Try BC...Great Weather, roads, scenery, people, etc....

The best place for motorcycling is...

Not Singapore!

The roads are short, theres too many traffic lights, too many speed cameras, too many cops.
There's too many restrictions on what u can do to the bike.
Everything's expensive.

bah...

Kentucky is pretty dope for riding... if you aren't trying to go anywhere. you can ride march to november... dec jan and feb SUCK. the temp is single digits tonight. the roads are crazy here, nothing but twists and turns. i went to so cal this summer... WAY too many people, but you can split lanes ;D its illegal here.

Having lived and ridden in Germany, I'd go back in a minute. Sure they have winter, but that's what Italy and Spain are for! ;D

Back
Top Bottom