Wrapping Up my CB200 Build just need Paint opinion

hecklejk

Been Around the Block
Okay so here is the deal>>>> When I started this build the only modifications that I had done to my CB200 was a paint the tank and side covers a nice "Saftey Yellow" from the auto parts store (paint done with a proper spray gun). Once I got into the meat of the build I decided that I wanted a tougher look so i rattle canned the tank and side covers in a Matte Black with Yellow accents, now that I am nearing the end of the project the tank need to be painted again (i made a mess whilst kreeming the tank!) and I am wondering if I should go back to the bright yellow color. Take a look at the pics below and let me know what you think looks better!! Thanks for the help guys!

As She sits now!
PC190764.jpg

If I return her to her Yellow Dress!!
Paint2.jpg

once again, your opinions mean alot, thanks for the help!!

That is one weird-azz yellow! But shoot- it's growing on me...
Tough choice.
I was fantasizing about gloss black everywhere with a round red Monkey bike wing logo?
http://www.monkeybike.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Z50A_Round_Honda_Wing_Badge___Red___Chrome.html
with the side panels painted over.
I'm no good with these things, either. That's why everything I have is either black, chrome, or aluminium.

Love that seat- did you do it yourself?
Who did the pipes?
Great looking bike. Looks like a ton-O-fun.

Uncle Ernie said:
That is one weird-azz yellow! But shoot- it's growing on me...
Tough choice.
I was fantasizing about gloss black everywhere with a round red Monkey bike wing logo?
http://www.monkeybike.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Z50A_Round_Honda_Wing_Badge___Red___Chrome.html
with the side panels painted over.
I'm no good with these things, either. That's why everything I have is either black, chrome, or aluminium.

Love that seat- did you do it yourself?
Who did the pipes?
Great looking bike. Looks like a ton-O-fun.

I shaped the seat from the original seat pan up, the seat foam was nasty, so I used loads of layers to get it right! Then I had a friend of mine cover the seat for me! The Pipes were done by a local muffler shop for next to nothing!! I think they cost me $100 total (tubing bent and welded, mufflers and wrap)! Those emblems are freakin sweet!!

Thank for the comments!

i am a huge fan of yellow, so i say go for it. i will say this, there are a lot of yellows out there, choose wisely. it fits the bike very well though.

later,

ryan

If you're looking for yellow I recommend Ford "Screamin' Yellow". We're partial to yellow at my house.

IMG_0488.jpg

Skyeye said:
If you're looking for yellow I recommend Ford "Screamin' Yellow". We're partial to yellow at my house.

IMG_0488.jpg

I really like that color yellow!!!

I just found it ironic that I had my motorcycle painted "Saftey Yellow"!!! it is the same color as the lines they paint on the roads, but it is a Butt Load brighter on a bike!!!

A friend of mine took the liberty to add a bit more yellow!!! What do you guys think?

Painted Front Brake Caliper
yellow2.jpg

Painted Wheels and Front Brake Caliper
yellow1.jpg

i dig the caliper, i not so much the rims though. i am into accents. on my 550 i am painting the float bowls, intake manifilds and the top carb covers (i don't know what the hell there called). also caliper and such. on your bike you could even paint the chain guard. it would give a liner look to the bike lower on the frame. may compliment the tank and side covers etc. you've also got the alt. cover, points cover, various engine bits that can all be painted. i'm not saying do it all, (i think it would be way too much, and the bike starts to look polka dot), but depending on how much you want there all easy pieces to paint. just my opinion. can't wait to see how it all trns out. also, not to piss off the ford people, but corvette yellow is also pretty fricken bright and a true yellow. i'm partial to BMW's classic "golf" yellow myself. (think 2002, 3.0 etc, from the 70's). it has a greenish hue, so it doesn't look right on everything. kind of tennis ball yellow.

anyway thats enough out of me for now. later.

ryan

i prefer the black. of course my entire closet is black. if you are going yellow, i like the wheels and maybe the headlight bucket as well.

I was not the biggest fan of the wheels at first, but i think if i can get someone to do it for me it would look awesome!! Then I would get a chance to have my wheels relaced with black spokes!!!

I really like the black, so I think I am going to keep it as is for now especially since she is ready to ride and it is starting to warm up down here in NC!! She has been off the road for toooooo long, so I dont see the need for another delay!!! I think I will wait till next winter to change the paint, that is if she doesn't break down first and need a mojor overhall!

Thanks for all the insight guys, it has helped me a lot through this process!

Cheers

Kevin

I agree - keep the black for now, then figure something out - I think the black is understated, but it looks *complete* - there's nothing lacking. If you're going to diverge from there I'd look into other colors aside from yellow, but that's more my own aesthetic vs an actual recommendation. Also maybe think about a motif of some sort - accents are good but there's so many options it helps to have some kind of graphical theme you're working towards that guides your choice of what accents you highlight.

Bike looks sweet man - I really dig it. I'm forwarding this thread to my friend with a CB200...

andrew embassy said:
I agree - keep the black for now, then figure something out - I think the black is understated, but it looks *complete* - there's nothing lacking. If you're going to diverge from there I'd look into other colors aside from yellow, but that's more my own aesthetic vs an actual recommendation. Also maybe think about a motif of some sort - accents are good but there's so many options it helps to have some kind of graphical theme you're working towards that guides your choice of what accents you highlight.

Bike looks sweet man - I really dig it. I'm forwarding this thread to my friend with a CB200...

Thanks mate, I appreciate it! I have poured alot into this bike to make it just right for ME!! I am really glad that others like it, I live about a block away from a pretty big bike bar here in Charlotte, NC and cant wait to take this bad boy up there and show her off!! I have seen a few really nice cafe bikes up there but it is mostly a Harley Bar, any chance I get to get nods from Harley guys I take!!!

once again thanks for your comments!!

Looks great. If you get it up around the speedway area, swing by and I'll hook you up with a cold one.

CC

CCRider said:
Looks great. If you get it up around the speedway area, swing by and I'll hook you up with a cold one.

CC

Sound mate!

You know what would be great, is if we could convince someone wup there at the speedway to let us ride the track!!

I'm still in love with that seat. I may have to attempt that myself after 4 hours in SIXTY TWO DEGREE weather yesterday.

Where in NC are you?

Uncle Ernie said:
I'm still in love with that seat. I may have to attempt that myself after 4 hours in SIXTY TWO DEGREE weather yesterday.

Where in NC are you?

Thanks man!! The seat is probably my favorite part of the bike!! It is suprisingly comfortable!!!

I live in Charlotte, NC

Uncle Ernie said:
"I live in Charlotte, NC"

Owww! That's gotta hurt. Sorry... :eek: :'(

Whats gotta hurt? living in Charlotte? Charlotte is a great city in an awesome part of the states! my riding season is long as hell!!!

;D

I lived in Plaza Midwood a couple of years. The worst weather I ever experienced was in Charlotte; amazing heat and humidity in the summer, and the worst ice storm I can possibly imagine one winter. Incredible lightening storms that scared the beans out of me- one bolt hit right next to the house.
Have to say the junk and re-cycling scene is prety good though. People there throw a lot of great stuff away. I miss that part, still.

Seems like people would spend the day comng up to the mountains to get in some good riding, but it's only 10-15 minutes away for me to get out of town.

Oh- I miss the Double Door, too. An oasis for blues lovers.

Uncle Ernie said:
I lived in Plaza Midwood a couple of years. The worst weather I ever experienced was in Charlotte; amazing heat and humidity in the summer, and the worst ice storm I can possibly imagine one winter. Incredible lightening storms that scared the beans out of me- one bolt hit right next to the house.
Have to say the junk and re-cycling scene is prety good though. People there throw a lot of great stuff away. I miss that part, still.

Seems like people would spend the day comng up to the mountains to get in some good riding, but it's only 10-15 minutes away for me to get out of town.

Oh- I miss the Double Door, too. An oasis for blues lovers.

I used to work in the Plaza Midwood area! I actually love the weather here, I admit it does get a bit hot here in the summer but its not too bad. I quite enjoy the daily thunderstorms in the storm, there is just something about a loud windy storm that calms me down!! I try to get up to the mountains as much as possible, last year I road the Blueridge parkway from start to finish a few times with some friends!

Where did you go for your Junk/Recycling stuff? I have been looking for a good salvage yard for a while now!

Back
Top Bottom