CB550 Brat/Cafe

Re: Carl the CB550

Maritime said:
Signed up. What dimesions did you build the tables too? I need to build one for my CX build and like the way you put yours together.
Maritime said:
Signed up. What dimesions did you build the tables too? I need to build one for my CX build and like the way you put yours together.

Mothgils headed this project and we used Kit's design. Here's a link to the build specs on his blog.

http://www.dropbarscinder.blogspot.com/2011/03/bike-table-2-revenge.html?m=1

I have no complaints about it at all. Good work height and the storage space works well too.

Keith

Updates to this build include a newly acquired wire harness, hopefully to be here by the end of next week.

So I am in a bit of a dilemma and looking for some info or help. I'm pretty sure I need a new clutch, I have what I've been told a built motor which makes me think that maybe the stock style plates may not be able to handle the extra power. So I have a few questions I was hoping folks could assist me in answering.

1. Will my "built" engine work just fine with the stock clutch?
2. Will the wrong type of oil actually hinder the performance of the clutch and actually wear it quicker or make it "slip"?
3. What are the thoughts of the EBC setup I see all over the internet?

Essentially I feel like it slips and I get a lot of false neutrals. Even after performing adjustments I still get the same issues so I'm just going to put in new discs and springs in hopes to nip it in the butt come spring.

Thanks,
Keith

Barnett Clutch Kits work well. I put such a kit in a 592cc fully modified CB550 and it handles the power just fine. Dynoman sells the kits which includes springs

> Essentially I feel like it slips and I get a lot of false neutrals.

Is it possible that you put 'car oil' instead of 'motorcycle oil' in the crankcase?

If you're considering replacing the clutch and/or springs, you're well served to pick up a caliper (if you don't already have one) to check the plates and springs before you do so; if they're in spec, that's not your issue.

Ill measure before I pull the trigger, also yessir I used the proper oil for sure. But that doesn't mean the last guy did. That makes me feel like there's potential contamination that has created irreversible damage. This of course is all opinion since I haven't pulled the clutch out yet haha.

Kemp- thanks for the info. When I pull it off ill be adding that to the list of potentials. I'm sure what you built has more power than mine haha.

Keith

Bought a harness off eBay. $25 shipped, showed up clean as can be! Showed up today, needless to say I'm getting project excited. With this one and the 350 rebirth I'mm having a lot of fun in what would normally be a terrible winter haha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 749

The 550 is currently under the knife. I've opted to go forward with an inverted front from a 636 ninja. Also I finally ordered new rubber for the wheels. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks the bike sees the light.

I went inexpensive and picked up some Shinko 712's. They had tons of great reviews so it was an easy choice. Went with 100/90/19 for the front and 130/90/16 for the rear.

8428004725_b54a8b4af7_z.jpg

mothgils said:
pics of the new front-end setup!

It's still in progress. We are building a tube style triple tree. Ill post some pics once we get the jig finished.

Factory clutches do not like extra horsepower,from my experience. my 450 slips a lil going into 2nd if I use the clutch to shift.

Not much progress lately. We've been lagging and I need to start pressuring my buddy to finish up the front trees for me lol. I did swing by mothgils place tonight and pic up a few items, if I'm not careful my bike is going to look like his just a different color haha.

The new to me seat :)

8487101153_c1148ab38b_z.jpg

8488192758_a4d96d0913_z.jpg

Guess this gives me some actual direction for styling now. We did come up with a few ideas to try out for a rear fender built on the swingarm. That may come to fruition pretty easily. I also nabbed his old battery box to get me by until I figure out how I want to hide it better or until I buy a smaller battery.

-Keith

Did some tooling around tonight over at Ethan's shop then a little more at my place. We started to do mock up since we had everything machined and ready for the front trees...only to find out all the slugs were drilled to the wrong ID(too big). Hopefully tomorrow Ethan can get back out to the machine shop and make some new ones(he didn't make this set).

I've also collected a few new items in prep for the bike to get back to my place... Gauges, Mothgils Branded Plate Mount, XS fender shortened up and a handful of maintenance items.

8530289614_32793acd56_z.jpg

8530290120_7651a531f3_z.jpg

8529178423_19ac873213_z.jpg

8529176523_1c6e2112c6_z.jpg

8530290730_607e6471e5_z.jpg

Keith

More parts... I have just about everything I need to get the bike finished. I really to to get this thing back at the house for the rebirth.

With that I think I'm going to start selling off some of my spare parts and have no idea what any of this stuff is really worth... anyone want to throw some realistic ideas for pricing?

RC Engineering muffler with baffle in good shape(not great, not excellent)
SS F chrome header with chrome collars in great shape
Chrome Clubmans in excellent shape
Chrome speedo and tac in excellent shape
Chrome forks in excellent shape(needs new seals)
Chrome triple trees in excellent shape
Drilled rotor(lots of life left)
Rebuilt front caliper with bracket(excellent shape)
Front spoke wheel with speedo drive(ok shape)
Rear spare spoke hub(no drum and needs full polish or bombed with paint)
Terrible looking block cafe toaster shaped seat(ugly)
Rear 18" hoop(rough shape but straight, good candidate for blast and powder)

That's all I can think of off hand that I'm considering parting with.

-Keith

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,373
Re: CB550 parts collecting stage

I did a little work in the last few days. Mostly minor things but items I needed to do regardless. I also picked up a super clean EMGO fairing.

Welded up a few more plate brackets for some friends and coated them in black nylon(similar to powder coat)

8549722019_c70c3738f7_z.jpg

8549712367_8ff9d824f6_c.jpg

I also narrowed the battery box I got from Mothgils about an inch to give my battery a nice snug fit. I think I'm going to weld on a couple snap bungs and put a leather strap on it to make sure it doesn't slide out. I will be mounting the battery box on it's side.

8549712727_9a5dc7d3ff_c.jpg

The Fairing. I think it could look pretty cool.....If not, it bolts on and off pretty easily.

8547302490_d57c70506e_c.jpg

Haha, I was following your stuff on instagram and then just found this build here. rock on!

Back
Top Bottom