I call her Cattywumpus

Maritime said:
Cool. after I typed that I looked closer and could see the empty exit on the throttle LOL. Yep smooth out the exit from the carbs if they are the straight cable exit. you can get an arced version if you need to, it makes the cables run smoother if they need to bend. try the air and it should make a difference. MY CX did for sure.

I'll break out the bicycle pump tonight! - Thanks!

I see the throttle cable you have has the straight out cable. Look for some new tops that have a curved metal tube or you will eventually snap your cables and they will bind. Look like the crappy drawing I did, I think you can adapt them to the DCC cable. Unless you can get a nice gradual arc under the tank, but it is pretty tight in there if I remember my CM.

Attachments

• carb - throttle tube .jpg
    carb - throttle tube .jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 274
That's exactly the issue! nice artwork to illustrate it too!
Ideally I'll be able to find the 90 degree bend somewhere - I don't mind if I have to swap out the cable completely, I just want it to be safe and pleasant to use.
Thanks! :D

I have carbs with both the straight and the 90 top tube from various bikes etc. I think you can just get the guide tubes and change them out on the end of the cables.

I changed out the throttle cable for one pre-assembled for VM30's by Motion-Pro. It's super smooth and connects nicely to the throttle. I also opted for a pair of shorty velocity stacks. They have a mesh screen to keep any heavy road dirt out of there. I also fitted my new coil (ACDelco D555) with new 8mm spark plug wires and NGK caps. This allows the plug gaps to be a bit wider than stock and gives a good steady idle.

I took the bike for it's maiden voyage last night, it idles nicely now that I've adjusted the pilot on the carbs. a couple of observations... it tends to bog down a bit at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle - but above 1/2 throttle it takes off like shit off a shovel. Definitely more tuning needed here because in the city I spend a lot of time in the 1/4 - 1/2 throttle range.

The mufflers are pretty loud - maybe a bit too loud - I don't think there is any packing in there, so I'll do a muffler-ectomy and pack as needed to take off the tinny vibration it is giving off now. At high revs though the sound is pretty awesome - the tinny-ness subsides and a roar emerges.. it encourages you to change down and lean on the throttle.

Over all - even though I know the bike needs some fine tuning that I may end up taking to an expert to perform - I can't believe this is the same sleepy bike that I started cranking on 7 months ago. A lot has changed in the meantime, but now that it can breath and has a strong spark it's a totally different animal. Also the euro bars over the stock "apes" make a world of difference in handling - I was cautious throwing it into corners because I wanted to see if the swing arm and forks were up to the task. Would they be better if they were a bit beefier? of coarse - but they are pretty good as is.

I think I also answered the question for myself of whether this bike qualified as a café racer or was it a restoration project .. it's a café .. no question about it - sure it doesn't have clip-ons or rear sets (I'll do that in the next incarnation when I have a garage and the GF has her bike-confidence up), but the performance upgrade from where it was to where it is leaves no question.

Back
Top Bottom