Well, huh... I just might be a dumb-ass.

Killman77

当有疑问时踢你的敌人在生殖器上,你可以道歉后
So, I started making some extra cash doing some light wrenching and customizing work a couple of years ago. Took off pretty decent, so I ran with it and even started a website this Summer, (freaking HATE working on the website, used Weebly, but still a shit-ton of work for someone coming into it cold). Then I decided to hold a T shirt design contest for a little exposure, and hopefully some kick-ass designs. I was really hoping to get something awesome enough to use for a tattoo.

Well, one of my favorite clients just sent me a design by her son. Her 9 year old son. Definitely one of those, "dog looking at a vacuum cleaner moments" for me. As in, "WTF do I do now?" Don't want to insult Mom, (extremely proud and protective Mom), but I ran this thing to get quality designs, right? And it's got a vote-driven component. Who's not going to vote for the 9 year old? I was trying to come up with ways to turn it down, or to post it without entering it into voting, just looking for an easy out.

Then I took a closer look at the thing. Damned if the kid didn't include wrapped pipes, a brat-style seat, bar-end mirrors, and what looks suspiciously like a headlight mounted gauge, and hammer-head shocks, (I could just be projecting here). Hell, he even included the front caliper and rear brake stay.

One of the other contestants, a local tattoo artist, had blatantly sent me an old design of his that he had just flipped over. I had to strongly suggest that he even include my company name. Figured if I was gonna pass a design that was so obviously phoned in, I could damn well give this one, that the kid had put his little heart and soul into, a shot. So I said, "Fuck it" and entered it into the competition, voting and all. I even tried to give him a nifty little blurb for his entry, hoping he can get some bragging rights out of it with his little buddies, bring some extra cheer into his life if I can. It's Christmas time, right?

Take a peek.

Scan111_zpsc3a8748e.jpeg

I solemnly swear if this kid wins, I will proudly rock it on my company shirts this year. I'm still on the fence whether this was a chump move on my part, or a shot at some positive karma by doing the right thing even when it's a little painful. Here's the link to the contest page, if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.killmancustoms.com/t-shirt-a-palooza.html

So what do you think guys, dumb-ass or Duddly Do-Right? Is there a difference, lol?

if he wins we

you should help him build the bike

i have stuff lying around i would donate

I'm kinda torn....one hand its really cool he went into so much detail....the other, well a 9 year old has more artistic skill than I do.

I say rock that mofo!

I like it. Rock it. As a teacher of Art Studio, I understand what you're going through.

Will it print in two colors? That will help. Some of those designs will be expensive to do the graphics.

7983513_orig.jpeg

I think it would look pretty cool on a shirt.

I think it's awesome. The kid designed that because he loves motorcycles and art. You added it because you like it. I say go with it. Plus it's got nice lines and movement :D A couple of the others aren't nearly as original.

Well so far, so good. Nothing but positive vibes abounding!

His mother thanked me, and says that he's super-excited and that they're watching the voting closely ;D

I guess they've been trying to encourage the boy to explore his artistic talents more. Wish my parents had been that cool!

xb33bsa said:
the kid did the best anyway :)

I agree. Not to knock the others but the first two are generic. The third is ok but tigers on shirts are always bad. And the third has nothing to do with motorcycles.

As an professional art guy myself, kid's art is always cool, even if it lacks a bit in accuracy and detail.

He'd get my vote if there were a single modification to the piece......put a rider on the bike!

....unless you're going for a "Ghost Rider" motif

Make a run of the Kid's design regardless. I'm in for an XXL.

I think it would look great on the back of a white T-shirt, with the same text (only) over the front left breast. It's a simple and unique design.

Todd

I like it. Simplistic to an extreme but catchy. I love the fact there are no skulls and crossbones. No flames. No BS. Run with it.

The kid is 9 and still is a better artist than I. Rock it. That young kid will remember you for the rest of their life.

Back
Top Bottom