To some person who can't seem to find a good deal on a project bike

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Check the "SELLING" section of the forum, '74 Norton 880 project.

Today could be the "once in a lifetime" chance for you.

I mean it.

With all due respect GP, in what way does your basket case represent a good deal to anyone who is not a Norton, and Dreer at that, fan? I'm not making a comment on what it might be worth to someone who values that stuff, just on your marketing in this forum. But you never know who might be lurking I guess.

What sort of responses are you getting in places where Norton guys hang out? I suspect that the market for a Dreer Replica is even smaller than the market for some of my bikes.

It COULD BE a fantastic deal.

It's all down to what the potential buyer wants to offer.

I need to sell it, and it's down to taking a loss. I won't take a BATH, but I'm willing to take a loss for somebody that's interested in building something nice of thier own.

grandpaul, I know nothing on the value of the kit bike you are trying to sell, but most of the regular folks here think anything over $250.00 for a bike in bits is over priced and would not pay more than $500 if a bike runs for a project. We are a lot of cheap bastards here LOL. There are a few folks who might want your project but it will be a very small minority of the site. Good luck though.

J-Rod10 said:
What is the value of that bike when finished?

Too subjective.

My blue monoshock bike is similar, it's worth over $20,000.00

grandpaul said:
Too subjective.

My blue monoshock bike is similar, it's worth over $20,000.00

Value is in the Rolodex of the seller... selling to Maritime it looks like $500 is the offer, but tell that loaf of bread in each pocket Justin Bieber he cant afford it under your breath and he will empty his jeans and possibly give 50 grand for it... seems far fetched but the arrogant hipsters and cash cred heroes in LA will pay some paper for shit if one friend is impressed by the buy. Peddling it here wont bring top dollar, but you might stumble on someone looking for a spring ride through central park and knows a builder who can pay under retail and flip it?

Hey hey I wanna be a rockstar :-\

The issue here is a ton of people here build. You mentioned Parts value earlier, while they do have value, they are of little value to those of us who enjoy the fabrication aspect of a build. Kind of like those who pop up with a 350/360 that say they have $6K in the bike, you can hope to get three back out of that. But when you buy everything, it nickel and dimes you to death.

This bike will need some significant fabrication and adaptation, not to mention the entire engine build. THAT is a project.

I don't think any hipsters with deep pockets and zero mechanical abilities will be interested, unless they buy it and have me ship it to a builder.

If only I was still self employed, I'd just go ahead and build the dang thing...

That makes it even tougher. A $6K project that needs potentially thousands more.

If I were in to Commando's, I certainly wouldn't mind having it. Just not my cup-o-tea.

Back
Top Bottom