rear sprocket play

naamloos

Yesterday I noticed my rear sprocket has some play on it. I can wiggle it a couple of mm's. The bolts are secured and don't move, I marked them, so the sprocket isn't coming loose but I am a bit worried by the play. Is this normal and if so, within which tolerances?

Thanks for the input!

The bushes are probably worn out, it's a common problem.
Luckily Ooracing has them in stock. http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4961
If they can't supply them, head over to cms, http://www.cmsnl.com/products/bush-damper_41241222000/
I replaced mine at +-3000km, and after 2000km with the replacement bushes, I still don't have the play I had with the originals at that point.
I don't know how good the ooracing bushes are, but cms sells the genuine honda ones, they are more expensive, but the better choice in the long run.

If you have additional questions or need advice, feel free to pm me in dutch ;)

Thanks a lot for the speedy response. After some additional browsing/reading I thought they might be worn out. I'll order some asap. Do you think there is a risk to continue driving now? There is some play but not a massive amount. I drove it today, granted a bit lighter then normal, and didn't notice it becoming looser. I could be that they have been loose for some time now. No way of telling...

If you're from around Brussels we should go on a ride out once! Never driven with fellow ace owners.

I am looking to do mine as a preventative measure and I will replace the lugs at the same time. Way down here in New Zealand, shipping plays a part in my decision of where to buy from. I will probably go for Partzilla as I am in no rush.

Honda part numbers seem to be bushes 41241-222-000 lugs 90128-KE2-940

GENUINE HONDA PARTS
USA Partzilla US$45 parts US$44 shipping = NZ$121
Europe CMS 60 euro plus 30 euro shipping = NZ$150
Local Honda dealer NZ$154

NON GENUINE
OO Racing Price 29 pounds and 26 pounds shipping and lugs need trimming = NZ$110.63

I live around Brussels/Belgium so CMS is my best choice. I followed Café (r)acer's link and ordered an hour ago. Just the bushes though, the original screws should be fine. I hope they arrive quickly, the ace is my main transport right now. Still wondering if it's ok to drive it gently the next few days/week. Any input is welcome!

It's okay to drive it gently, especially on downshifts. The bushes are there to absorb shocks from the wheel, if they are worn they transfer the forces to the gearbox, clutch and engine, and that's when the trouble can begin.
Are you gonna replace them yourself?
Getting the worn bushes out can be tricky. I had 2 bushes that practically came out by themselves. In one I had to turn in a tap and pull it out and the last one I had to chisel out. But your results may vary :D

I'm from Antwerp btw.

Yeah, I plan on doing it myself. Learning about bikes was one of the reasons I got the ace. I do have some experience maintaining honga amigo's so I should be fine. I read all the posts concerning the bushes and looked at some pictures. It looks a bit tricky but manageable. Now let's hope they arrive shortly!

Has anyone tried filling the hole in the middle of the bush with grease and hammering in a tight fitting rod into said hole . Using hydrolic action to force them out. Works with thrust bearings on flywheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to chisel all 4 of mine out. The inner metal bush part came out easy as it was not attached to the rubber anymore, then scraped the rubber off and chiseled the outer bushes out.

A question about replacement of the cush drive rubbers. Should any grease or lubricant be applied during replacement, or do you firmly drift them into the hubs dry?

Any advice is greatly appreciated?

Cheers Cameron

Ok, I replaced mine last week and went for a drive yesterday. Everything is as good as new now. Some minor advice though. Mine were completely disintegrated and this after 'only' 2200km. I replaced them with Honda ones so hopefully they will last longer. The old ones all came out very easily except one. The inner ring was completely loose from the rubber. I bend the outer ring inside and it came out quite quickly. All in all a half hour work.
Do get yourself new lugs as well, and take the Honda original ones. Upon my first reassembly the thread on two screws broke so I had to order four new screws and wait a few more days. Be smart and just order the cush drives plus lugs in one go. The bolts are standard hardware store ones. I added some loctite to be on the safe side.

well I just changed mine.
I ordered the genuine Honda some weeks ago, after reading of the bush wearing issue.
Didn't have really time to do it before today. Bike is 5000 km.
What a shock when I get the sprocket off, it only held by the circlip. See for yourself.
Hope the new one will last longer than that.
It was a real nightmare to take the 4 old ones out.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 265
Crickey, they're a bit smashed.

I've sent request for some NOS Honda bushings, don't think the 'replica' parts will be as good rubber as thge original Honda parts.

Hopefully be around the $60 - $70 for 4.

Anyone running an unmodified Ace had trouble with these? Or is it all those extra ponies that we are unleashing that may be wrecking them??

Blew a rear tube (again) this is Number 3 in 12 months, never on any other bike had I have so many punctures!

Thought I'd take the opportunity to review my rear sproket bushes.

And they look OK, not sure what you guys are doing, or thrashing your ace to the 99th degree?

Just over 3,500km

Attachments

• ace rear bush 1.jpg
    ace rear bush 1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 256
  • ace rear bush 2.jpg
    ace rear bush 2.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 364
Back
Top Bottom