Just picked up a CB450 (build thread-still nameless)

teddpage

Over 1,000 Posts
Hey all! Im a long time lurker here and just got my first bike. '71 CB450! Its in nice shape, for a bike this old. Small dent in the tank and it needs to be tuned up/have the carbs cleaned badly!

Cant wait to get started on her! Plans include Clubmans from Carpy along with barend mirrors (already ordered), and a bumstop seat......for starters!

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

Re: Just picked up a CB450

Looks like you got yourself a nice clean bike to work with there. 8)

THANX!!! The pics actually do it justice. Even tho it only has 3800 on the odo, the tank has a small dent and the paint is a little cracked and i think the front brake is hanging up a bit. Gunna tear into the carbs this wkend and i think my dad has a set of points for it in the shop (he has a 69 CB450!).

Ok. Since it had dorky stock bars, i ordered a set of clubmans from carpy. I was bored tonite, so i pulled the bars/controls and got the clubmans on.

Tomorrow i pull it outside (weather permitting) and pull the tank. I found that the right side carb wasnt doing its job. Sprayed some carb cleaner in the bore and it seemed to pick that cylinder up. Pulled the fuel lines off the carbs and on a whim, turned on the petcock. NO GAS GOING TO THE RIGHT SIDE CARB! So im gunna pull it and clean it (hopefully) and that should solve my running problem....for now at least!

A few pics for your viewing pleasure. ENJOY!

07.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

Some more updates! Finally got some time to mess around with my seat and figured i could make the stock seat brackets to work! So i broke out the welder and 3" cutoff wheel and had some fun! Here's some pix of how it all turned out!!!

004.jpg

003.jpg

Quick mounted the seat and found out i needed to add some little tabs to the back to make it all work.

015.jpg

017.jpg

022.jpg

032.jpg

Outcome was nice!!! (at least i think so...) I can now flip my seat up just like the stock seat!!!!! Enjoy!! Next up is fender trimming and getting the taillight and smaller turn signals mounted and working!!!

Smoove!!! ;D
while you are fabbing up seat parts you might want to fill that wedding tackle sized gap between the tank and seat bottom, unless you are using a pretty thick seat cushion that hole could get dangerous ( i just assume you are a male) for safety.

and i love the father son team up shot at the end, maybe you guys should keep the same color scheme going, that would be pretty cool.
keep it up.!!!

Thanks!! Yea its pretty funny how i ended up with the same bike as my dads! His is a 69 and mines a 71. Quite a few differences btwn the 2! I am going to fill in that gap, i just dont know with what yet...i might make up a seat cushion that fills in the gap or make a metal or glass patch that fits snug to the tank.

Havent posted any progress pix in a while. I finally have the battery relocated to under the seat and cleaned out the middle section of the frame, installed new turn signals and mounted up my Ford Model A taillight. Picked it up from speedway motors for 40 bux...and its LED!!! Shortened and lengthened the necessary wires and tada!!!!! Its finally starting to look like a real bike (minus the paint, crappy tires, etc. etc.!!!). Waiting on my Uni Filters. I ordered a set from Dennis Kirk and i got the wrong size. Just waiting on my new ones to arrive. Its a long arduous process but i cant wait to get it registered and take her on her maiden voyage!

024.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Nice looking project, I'm going along those same lines with my '73 CB450. I love the idea of a fiberglass bumpstop seat using the factory hinges and hardware. if you sold that as a kit, I'd buy it! How are you running thye handlebar electricals? Through the bars? I'm gonna use a set of ebay special "superbike" bars on mine, but I'd like to keep the wiring hidden. Great project, I'll be following since it's so close to what I want to do with mine.

Thanks! The seat i got from Roccitycafe.com You should check his site he's got a few nice seats! Right now the wiring is just run along the handlebar. I might down the road run it inside, but it seems like too much of a hassle with the clubmans. Thanks again for the comments!

The bump-stop seat goes really well with the bike, matches the profile of the tank beautifully! Love the garage with all the old license plates, and just imagining the sound of boots rapping on the wooden floor while wrenching brings a smile to my face. Keep up the great work, coming along nicely!

drock905 said:
Looking good! I'm working on a cb450 as well, could You post some pics of how you relocated the battery?
+1 on the battery relocation. I'd like to do the same on mine, the 450s look cool running without side covers but not with the rather ugly stock battery brackets and wiring hangin down there. Any luck on the pod filters? I'm curious to know how the stock CV carbs work with pods as well.

Thanx alot! Bought that taillight on a whim...not really knowing how big it was or how it looks!

Ive done some small things to the bike since last update. Ive painted the spots where i ground off the side cover tabs and where i welded in the plate btwn the frame rails. I also mounted up my new tires. I'll have to snap a few pix this wkend if i have the chance!

Got the bike running and took her for a quick ride around the neighborhood. She's in need of a tune up, it was running kinda funny but makes good power nonetheless. Cant quite comment on how the pods are working w. the cv carbs yet. The tires look and ride a lot better than those godawful old jobbers that were on there! Sizes are 100/90-19 front and 120/80-18 Rear. The rear clears the swingarm nicely, but the rear rim is a little too narrow. So come winter time, new wheels are in store for this puppy. Also swapped rear shocks with my dad and got his Koni's! The bike is quite comfortable...i really like the riding position. Cant wait to get it registered and give it a shakedown run! Anyways, on with the pix!

bikepix5-23-10001.jpg

bikepix5-23-10002.jpg

bikepix5-23-10003.jpg

bikepix5-23-10004.jpg

bikepix5-23-10005.jpg

bikepix5-23-10008.jpg

bikepix5-23-10009.jpg

bikepix5-23-10011.jpg

bikepix5-23-10013.jpg

Welp...just took her out for her maiden voyage. First few minutes it seemed kinda laggy, like it didnt wana make power under 3500 rpms...but once it warmed up it ran much better. I mite have to pull the carbs still.
Went and treated her to 10 bux of 93 octane, started to take a small ride close to home..you know just in case. After just 14 miles on the trip meter...i felt something hit the seat. hmmmmmmm. so i look back, and my taillight is bouncing on the rear tire. GREAT! Pull over, attempt to rig it back in...got not even a quarter mile down the road and it fell back out and hit the ground, cracking the lens. OH WELL!
Just placed an order for a new one...i guess i'll have to devise a new mounting system for the taillight....

BUT! it sure did feel good to ride my own bike! Cant wait to log a few more miles before winter hits!

Wow...i havent updated this in FOREVER! Im terrible at documenting my build, but have taken just a few cell pix that i will share. Since my previous post, i fixed the taillite mount, built my own exhaust (quite a learning experience), knee dents in the tank...umm, probably some more stuff that i cant keep track of. Anyway...heres some pix.
BikeStand.jpg

KneeDentPic.jpg

SideView.jpg

The tank is currently smooth. I sanded it with some 320 today, gave it a few coats of high build primer. Guna sand it again tomorrow and see if i need to touch up a few areas.
Paint scheme i THINK is guna be blue with a gray or silver stripe, or possibly gray in the knee dents and some fake number ovals on the seat. I'll hafta see how i feel that day lol! Pipes are also painted...i used VHT2000 from Eastwood. I hope the paint holds up! It was only 10 bux for the can, so if i hafta touch it up, watevs. Anyways, theres a small update from me!

Back
Top Bottom