The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

Re: the "Ace" - ready for paint!

27mm Clip on bars from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261210104199&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:GB:1123

Paid £32.00 carriage free and took 6 days from Hong Kong - Fair service I reckon

HerbertD said:
27mm Clip on bars from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261210104199&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:GB:1123

Paid £32.00 carriage free and took 6 days from Hong Kong - Fair service I reckon

Brilliant - thank you so much.

ChrisBNE said:
And I trust you have to cut the muffler off where the join is to remove the CAT? Is it easy to remove and then reweld?

The CAT can't be removed without cutting the section out of the pipe. It would be difficult to weld in a section to replace it as the pipe is double walled.

Calculations showed that to improve mid-range torque and horsepower I would need a pipe with a different diameter and an increase in the length. If you examine the photo on the previous page you will see that the original muffler mounting bracket has been moved forward and a small piece of pipe added. This small piece provides a snug fit over the new, longer header. The new header has been shaped to give some clearance to the frame down tube, as this was non-existent with the original. A bracket has been added to the rear of the muffler for a backstay, the other end of which connects to the seat mounting bolt. The muffler internals have had a small modification which , hopefully, will provide more power without too much increase in noise.

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
The CAT can't be removed without cutting the section out of the pipe. It would be difficult to weld in a section to replace it as the pipe is double walled.

Calculations showed that to improve mid-range torque and horsepower I would need a pipe with a different diameter and an increase in the length. If you examine the photo on the previous page you will see that the original muffler mounting bracket has been moved forward and a small piece of pipe added. This small piece provides a snug fit over the new, longer header. The new header has been shaped to give some clearance to the frame down tube, as this was non-existent with the original. A bracket has been added to the rear of the muffler for a backstay, the other end of which connects to the seat mounting bolt. The muffler internals have had a small internal modification which , hopefully, will provide more power without too much increase in noise.

Crazy

Thank you - I think I might just purchase an after market unit :)

Re: the "Ace" - breathe out, breathe in!

Now that the exhaust improvements are nearing completion it is time to consider the intake.

To start I bought this:

item.JPG

I have modifications planned for the filter itself but first I will have to reposition the carbie in order to fit the filter. This necessitates the removal of the existing airbox/battery housing an repositioning the battery elsewhere.

While the carbie was off and I was considering the possibilities I become offended by the unsightly excrescence in the carbie mouth:

item.JPG

So:

item.JPG

That should free up some airflow!

Crazy

Love the filter - looks awesome.

Is that part you removed not the choke (which I assume it is if its connected to the level on the left hand side of the carby)? Pardon my ignorance if its not...

It certainly is the choke butterfly, a minor convenience for starting on a cold day but a major disruption to air flow!
A little bit of technique makes up for its absence.

Crazy

haha love your work :) - I've done the same an old hedge trimmer years ago and completely forgot that it still starts up fine.

Re: Re: the "Ace" - breathe out, breathe in!

Checking in late. Saving this when I get to port with a faster connection..

Re: the "Ace" - got the paint, need the weather!

Waiting for the weather and spare time to coincide in order to paint the exhaust.

Black and satin clear:

item.JPG

Yesterday I re-jetted the carbie and drilled an 18mm hole in the rear baffle of the standard muffler.

A huge increase (comparatively) in power was the result. Now I'm even more impatient to fit the new exhaust and the air filter improvements!

Crazy

i have heard nothing but good things so far about these little guys ill have to check it out at the next scr ride if i have my girl up and running properly.

I used that on paint my engine but the next one up as in semi gloss. there was one issue I had when the engine was hot a few drops of fuel hit the cases and took the paint right off. I would probably use either a gloss next time, but unsure if the same thing would happen with the gloss.

Hope you can make it to the next ride!

I've heard both good and bad things about VHT. I decided the only way to find out was to use it myself.

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
Yesterday I re-jetted the carbie and drilled an 18mm hole in the rear baffle of the standard muffler.

A huge increase (comparatively) in power was the result. Now I'm even more impatient to fit the new exhaust and the air filter improvements!

Crazy

What jets (size) are you now using?

Juan, the new jets are 95 and 45. I haven't been able to give the bike a proper test run yet as it has been raining heavily. I hope to test it out tomorrow.

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
Juan, the new jets are 95 and 45. I haven't been able to give the bike a proper test run yet as it has been raining heavily. I hope to test it out tomorrow.

Crazy

Thats weird man! My Honda 125 has the same carb and has a 38 and 102 right from the dealer.

Your carbie may look the same, but the unit on the 'Ace' is Chinese made:

item.JPG

The 'Ace' was probably set up to run lean from the manufacturer to help pass pollution tests.

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
Waiting for the weather and spare time to coincide in order to paint the exhaust.

Black and satin clear:

Crazy

Can't wait to hear about how it all goes and seeing some updated images!

Because of this tread. I also went out an bought a ACE 125 in box and built it up and is now on the road. The mods I have made to mine are. Replaced the Deni with a 26mm mikuni. Hack sawed the muffler and dug out the CAT and re welded two back together. Bought the 303 kit from OOracing and found the 34 tooth sprocket to tall in my hilly area.

May improve with more K's on the clock. Still trying to figure out what the new CDI does over the stock one. Really needs new rear shocks and brakes are just terrible. I have bled the front a little bit. But will really need to do a full bleed as the front brake lever almost goes back to the handlebars. Sanded the rear brake pads to remove the black crap of them that made the pads shiny.

Now just waiting for the sun to come out.

I don't think you'll be disappointed! The bike improves much after a 1000k or more.
A big help for the front brake is a stainless steel braided hose.

Big news coming up in a couple of days!

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
I don't think you'll be disappointed! The bike improves much after a 1000k or more.
A big help for the front brake is a stainless steel braided hose.

Big news coming up in a couple of days!

Crazy

The suspense is killing me!

Back
Top Bottom