The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

Re: the "Ace" - stymied!

Pulled the original LH crankcase cover to replace it with the modified unit.

Alternator stator and CDI trigger held in place with bolts 7mm across the flats - this I do not have.
After working in 30 C heat with no shade, I do not feel inclined to rush to the shop to buy necessary socket.

DGR tomorrow, replace cover Monday!

Crazy

Re: the "Ace" - adding lightness!

stroker crazy said:
Thanks Chris.

Been thinking about removing the starter, as I kickstart it anyway. It doesn't look easy to do tidily so I've put in on the back burner until I get all the current changes finished.

I do have one weight saving underway:

Seeing that I'm moving the battery to underneath the seat hump, I went for something smaller and lighter!

Don't know about 100k being the new ton, but it's good to have a goal to aim for (and surpass).

Crazy

Hi Dan

found this thread as I'm currently considering buying an Ace to join my 04 Blackbird & 92 CBR600. Walked into a showroom last month, saw one and thought "ooooooh"

Anyways back on Topic. Have you considered using a Battery Eliminator to save weight?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200968890613

mikey64 - don't know if your message is for Just Dan or me, so I'll reply anyway!

Battery eliminators can be useful, particularly if a bike is used for racing. On a road bike with headlight, indicators, etc. they can result in less than adequate results in daily operation, especially on CDI equipped machines.

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
mikey64 - don't know if your message is for Just Dan or me, so I'll reply anyway!

Battery eliminators can be useful, particularly if a bike is used for racing. On a road bike with headlight, indicators, etc. they can result in less than adequate results in daily operation, especially on CDI equipped machines.

Crazy

for you :)

anyways it was a consideration question but thanks for the clarification.

Loving what you're doing to her BTW 8)

Thanks for the suggestion mikey64; the little 7Ah Shorai battery will be going in shortly. It's only 445g so its not a lot heavier than the battery eliminator (but a lot more expensive!).

Crazy

whilst I'm on suggestions (& given you're keeping the battery) does the stock headlight rely on fluted glass or reflector design for beam alignment?

If the former then I've had a lot of good success with H4 Hi/Lo HID bulbs on my CBR600 & old ST1100 .

Don't know what the alternator on the Ace is like but the HIDs give out far more/better light at 35w than halogens at 55w.

Also wonder whether you could get some flush mount indicators fitted at the rear, eliminate the stalks.

Hi to all of you.
I just found this thread and since information and owners of these great bike are quite scarce I'm glad I did !
I am a french owner of one of these nice bikes.
I also followed JustDan thread on ADVrider so sorry if you read this presentation already:

So I bought one here in France a month and a half ago and I already modded it a bit.
As far as mechanics go, I put the ooracing Stage 1 kit (with air filter) and racing CDI.
Exhaust is from feked and straight through.

The bike is really performing better now. I got 113km/h GPS speedometer but the most pleasant is that now it can easily cruise at 90km/h without pushing the engine strong.
I didn't manage to bring it faster than 120 km/h on flat road (with wind facing) though the engine is not reving up (and it's not very high).
Would a change of carb help me get more rev when I am in 5Th gear ?

Cosmetically you can see changes on the pictures. Still some more things to do but I already like the way it is now.

Next big thing is to change tyres and rear shock.

Also I want to install an electronic tachometer.
What wire/plug should I plug the pulse wire from the tachometer to ? (could you refer to the Ace schematics and give me the wire colour ?)

Skyteam%20Ace_20%20septembre%202013_02.jpg

Skyteam%20Ace_20%20septembre%202013_11.jpg

Skyteam%20Ace_20%20septembre%202013_12.jpg

Skyteam%20Ace_20%20septembre%202013_22.jpg

Skyteam%20Ace_20%20septembre%202013_05.jpg

Skyteam%20Ace_20%20septembre%202013_10.jpg

Skyteam%20Ace_20%20septembre%202013_15.jpg

Ok decision made and I've commited myself to getting an ACE. (getting her from the workshop I used to have all my work done at before I moved, doing me a good deal £1600 on the road including a sports exhaust.

Question though , what do these babies rev too ?

Reason for asking is I'm considering replacing the clocks with a combined tacho/speedo unit from Acewell and they come in various max RPM flavours

http://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell%20Speedometers/ACE-4xxx/index.htm

not sure wat it revs to, but you could google the max rpm of a honda cg 125 as its basiclly the same motor. my guess is around 10-12 000 rpm

sprocket2cog said:
not sure wat it revs to, but you could google the max rpm of a honda cg 125 as its basiclly the same motor. my guess is around 10-12 000 rpm

my gut was around 9/10k as I read somewhere the peak power of the ACE is at 7500 rpm

mikeyw64 said:
my gut was around 9/10k as I read somewhere the peak power of the ACE is at 7500 rpm

yep i think a 10k tach would do it, it likes to short shift anyway as well.

sprocket2cog said:
yep i think a 10k tach would do it, it likes to short shift anyway as well.
Honda CG125 Tacho :)

404829d1336390175-honda-cg-125-speedometer-img00038.jpg

If i did get the Acewell then would get the 12k rather than the 9k version, you can set a warning light for max RPM/Gear change

Re: Re: the "Ace" - adding lightness!

Lovely bike Mate. Can I confirm the single best up grade for this OHV CG clone engine is a 150cc piston and barrel.
Honda designed this engine as a 150. They only reduced the capacity to meet the market demand for 125CC.
It rocks when bored as god intended:)

hmmm wonder how much fettling would be needed?

replica-works-fairing-890-p.jpg

http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/replica-works-fairing-890-p.asp

Fettling:

Mounting brackets yes. Headlight yes (hi/lo HID projector behind perspex?) . Indicators not a huge problem, there's some very neat flush mounted ones around. Instruments, stay in the standard location surely?

Too late at night and too many ideas running around head lol

mikeyw64 said:
Question though , what do these babies rev to ?

Skyteam quote maximum power at 8000rpm and maximum torque at 6000rpm. A 10k tachometer will fill the bill, although I have a 14k unit that shows 10k at 12 0'clock - makes it easier to get an idea of the revs with a quick glance.

Thanks for your experiences with headlights, I will be looking into the possibilities when I get a bit further down my current list of tasks!

Crazy

Alan Vega said:
The bike is really performing better now. I got 113km/h GPS speedometer but the most pleasant is that now it can easily cruise at 90km/h without pushing the engine strong.
I didn't manage to bring it faster than 120 km/h on flat road (with wind facing) though the engine is not reving up (and it's not very high).
Would a change of carb help me get more rev when I am in 5Th gear ?

Cosmetically you can see changes on the pictures. Still some more things to do but I already like the way it is now.

Next big thing is to change tyres and rear shock.

Also I want to install an electronic tachometer. What wire/plug should I plug the pulse wire from the tachometer to ? (could you refer to the Ace schematics and give me the wire colour ?)

Welcome to a fellow 'Ace' rider from la belle France!

It was good to see the photos of your bike - I also intend to only make minor changes to the appearance.

I am still using the original tyres as I find them perfectly satisfactory, on dry roads at least (I haven't ridden the 'Ace' very far in the wet). I find a considerable improvement in stability with the new shocks - the originals performed very poorly.

There are several places to connect an electronic tachometer; probably the best is the red/white connection between the pick-up and the CDI.
The tachometer you buy should have information on the preferred method of connection.

It sounds like you have the bike performing quite well already by I can understand your frustration at running out of revs. It would be a good idea to install the tachometer before chasing more top-end. At least then you would know how many revs were missing!
Lack of top-gear power might be helped by a different carburettor, but the ignition could be the culprit. Are you running the original sprockets? The gearing can dramatically effect the performance.

Let us know how your modifications work out.

Crazy

Back
Top Bottom