Powder coating problem

Sand 125

Hey guys!

Went to pick up my parts from the powder coater this friday.
At first everything looked nice, but once back home I noticed that the parts hadn't been prepped properly.

Things that were powder coated:
- Most of the inner and outer threads, including the threads for the bearing retainers on the hubs
- Inside of the hubs where bearings should go
- Inside of the top of the fork legs where seals should go, there even seems to be some dirt left underneath the coating
- Even the lock for blocking the front fork

Is there a way to fix this? As in remove the coating.
I've already been searching information on the subject for two days now, but it seems like i'm in for a lot of work.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_5594.JPG
    IMG_5594.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6243.JPG
    IMG_6243.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_5815 3.JPG
    IMG_5815 3.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 274
I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I used paint stripper very carefully and it made the powder soft enough to remove. I used a sharp knife to cut a part line between what I wanted to remove and what I wanted to keep.

It will take a bit of work but not much else can be done.

Your powder coat guy should have taped and plugged those. I hope he don't do it for a living . Yup you are in for a lot of work.

that powdercoater sucks. Either they have no idea what a motorcycle is, how it goes together, or why some parts should NOT be coated - or they just don't care. That's nuts!

good luck

Thanks for the input!

I'll start by contacting the powder coater and asking if he can fix it.

If not I'll try the paint stripper and maybe a wire brush on a dremel?
I also read somewhere (on this forum I think) that it isn't a good idea to use taps/dies to remove powder coating from coated threads, but I guess it won't be a problem if I use some paint stripper first?

Oh crapola. I'd be hitting that guy up for a partial refund mate, he's definitely not done a great job. I had to get some powdercoat out of a few threads - I cut out some small discs from a scotchbrite pad and dremel'd them. Used some gel paint stripper on a q-tip first to soften up the paint, but made sure to get most of it out before getting the dremel in there to avoid spraying the stuff all over the frame. Good luck mate.

Thats a bad deal bud, sorry to see all that.

Ive never had to strip powder, but Jasco is my go to brand for stripper.
Wear gloves and long sleeves using this stuff. It burns skin.

11494-280518155119.png

Looks like you left the bearing races in at least. You can just pop them out and put new bearings in instead of trying to remove the coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes I did leave them in apparently, thought I got everything out. Thanks for noticing, that'll save me some work!

And for the Jasco, thanks for the tip, but I live in Belgium so i'll have to try my luck with something local. I'll ask for something that burns skin though

Back
Top Bottom