First ever cafe build progress report

Great! The entire build is awesome...and the engine...just looks like insanity! So, far its got the stuff of one sweet Mother F-er

Undertail back from a new found powder coater One Stop Powder Coating. Electronics laid out, undertail buttoned down with button heads

Attachments

• IMG_5602.JPG
    IMG_5602.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_5608.JPG
    IMG_5608.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 1,441
  • IMG_5603.JPG
    IMG_5603.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,496
No not sure how to do that? I haven't had time to look a the carb or do a compression test the whole week, been too busy. Hoosier Daddy suggested the same things the other day. I hope to get to it this weekend.

Compression test done. All cylinders 115 psi but the cylinder that wasn't firing tested at 125 psi. Interesting. I then set out to clean the #4 carb. Cleaned the jets, reassembled, connected fuel line, couple of hits on the starter, and the big cb sprang to life. Smooooth, baby. With only three cylinders firing, I thought the MAC 4 into 1 sounded like crap. With all four cylinders firing, it sounds so sweet. Now, onto the front brake master. What's that I see? Is it? Yes! Light at the end of the tunnel! WOOT!!!

Update 10/14/12: After having to clean out the number 4 carb, I decided to check the other float bowls. Only one had a the slightest bit of gunk in it. Where does it come from? I totally cleaned all the carbs individually after dismantling the entire rack. Could it be from the stock tank??? I notice there is no filter in the petcock like say my KZ400, and there is no in line filter on the line running from the petcock to the carbs. Is it a good idea to put one on there? Oh, and I now know the other purpose of the battery cover. To prevent the necessity of removing the sprocket cover and starter when you drop a float bowl screw and it falls underneath the starter. Lesson learned.

Roh oh! Left the keys in the ignition and totally discharged my new Ballistic battery. It's been on the Tender for three days now. Red light still blinking. Haven't checked the voltage yet. God, I hope I didn't just ruin a $135 battery!

Just a bump to get this back in the limelight. Any updates?
I missed out on a pair of CB900F shocks just like yours because I was a dumbass. Forgot I had them in my watch list, $30 "Buy-it-now", then somebody snatched them up.
"Ya snooze-Ya loose" ::)

Only update is I'm having a devil of a time with my number 1 an 4 carbs leaking! I installed new gaskets after cleaning and rebuilding a few years ago. Start up went fine, but leaking in all carbs. I took all the bowls off and checked the overflow needles. All worked fine. Made sure the gaskets were set properly. Still, 1 and 4 leak. Going out to the garage and try my hand again at making my tach mount. I made a couple, but they just weren't right.

biker_reject said:
Only update is I'm having a devil of a time with my number 1 an 4 carbs leaking! I installed new gaskets after cleaning and rebuilding a few years ago. Start up went fine, but leaking in all carbs. I took all the bowls off and checked the overflow needles. All worked fine. Made sure the gaskets were set properly. Still, 1 and 4 leak. Going out to the garage and try my hand again at making my tach mount. I made a couple, but they just weren't right.

Where are they leaking, internally into the inlet manifold or externally.

Externally. I'm thinking it may be the float needles not working properly. I plan to get them and the front brake sorted this week.

biker_reject said:
Roh oh! Left the keys in the ignition and totally discharged my new Ballistic battery. It's been on the Tender for three days now. Red light still blinking. Haven't checked the voltage yet. God, I hope I didn't just ruin a $135 battery!

buddy, i hate to be the one to tell you this, but i think that battery is toast :( i only know because i've done the same thing to one of those fancy A123 batteries. mine was a moty design 8 cell. i was doing work on my bike and had the headlight disconnected, so i had no indication that i had left the key in the "on" position, and the battery completely drained. i tried the same thing with a tender to no avail. contacted moty design, and they told me if you drain the battery all the way down, it damages the cells and there's no way to fix it.

Chopped up OEM rear fender and fitted to new undertail and subframe. Unsure if I will use it. I know it will keep everything clean, but it's kinda ugly.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 1,283
  • IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,254
Functional is better than missing, so it's the right decision for the right reason. Now we need to help you find a cleaner solution. How about making a small hugger design that covers part of the tire and leaves it looking naked in the middle?

Or maybe a simpler design in the same place - say a flat sheet with a bulge in it look, made out of carbon fiber or fiberglass? Or perhaps borrow an old front fender for effect and see what part of that might look like shortened and slipped into place there. Maybe it could be used as a mold/plug or at least to generate ideas.

teazer said:
Or perhaps borrow an old front fender for effect and see what part of that might look like shortened and slipped into place there.

Oh I like that... Hmmmmm.
Will store that in the memory banks for "Rock-It"

Back
Top Bottom