'75 CB500T - "Sancha"

vibration

Been Around the Block
OK...it's far enough along now that I'm feeling more confident of seeing it through to the end. I wanted to make sure it didn't devolve into boxes of parts on Craigslist before launching a new build thread.

So here's the "before"...a '75 CB500T that I bought off a Maine state trooper. It was a barn find for him...only 2400 original miles. All I had to do to get it running was replace a float and needle seat. Though my intention from the get go was to do a cafe/brat, I briefly had second thoughts because it was in such good original condition. But there's a reason the CB500T was only produced for 2 years...it's kind of a pig...and I quickly came to my senses.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 881
Here's the only image of the tear down...probably the way it's best remembered...a hazy dream...

Attachments

• CB500T in progress.jpg
    CB500T in progress.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 491
Frame waiting for blast and new coat of shiny black...

Attachments

• frame before blast and paint.jpg
    frame before blast and paint.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 452
I'm not confident enough yet to tear down and rebuild an engine, so I called on a friend who has the experience and know-how to help me with this. The project now becomes a collaboration.

Attachments

• engine before.jpg
    engine before.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 460
  • CB Engine Build.jpg
    CB Engine Build.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 440
  • Engine Build 2.jpg
    Engine Build 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 476
  • engine build.jpg
    engine build.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 445
Engine complete...frame painted...

Attachments

• completed engine.jpg
    completed engine.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 440
  • PICT0671.JPG
    PICT0671.JPG
    592.1 KB · Views: 430
Meanwhile, I'm skimming the grocery money and obsessively buying the parts needed to flesh out my vision...Mikunis, bars and grips, bullet lights, fiberglass fender, lithium ion battery, electronic ignition, etc., etc.

Got one of the brat-style seat pans from Dime City and took it to a tuck n roll guy in New Hampshire along with a few yards of faux leather I picked up from a furniture manufacture. He turned it into a nice narrow bench seat that should look good with the refinished stock tank.

Attachments

• seat.JPG
    seat.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 908
Welded a short piece of rear fender to the hoop...stripped the tank. Fiberglass front fender came primed and ready to shoot.

Attachments

• Tank and fenders stripped.jpg
    Tank and fenders stripped.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 486
Drove up to northern New Hampshire to bring Rob Nigl at Peach Pit Racing the tank and fenders to get painted. He did an amazing job.

Attachments

• tank & fenders.jpg
    tank & fenders.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 450
Robbie saw that the weld of the rear fender to the hoop sucked, so he redid it before painting (welding from the bottom instead of the top)

Engine back in frame...freshly shod wheels (Avons)...fork gaiters in place

Attachments

• PICT0691.JPG
    PICT0691.JPG
    543 KB · Views: 400
Got headers off CB450 and mated them with some straights...new shocks, chain, mini gauges go on to flat M-bar with billet stand-offs...carbs bolted on

Attachments

• PICT0697.JPG
    PICT0697.JPG
    509 KB · Views: 385
Fabricated shallow box to house small LI battery and other electricals...new wires

Attachments

• battery_box.png
    battery_box.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 1,185
Im starting my first project, which is a 76 CB500T too. Yours looks like you have a bit more..resource.. than I do, but certainly motivating! Still on the "get her to run" phase.. Keep posting, looks awesome so far!

Finally wrapped it up...in time for some Indian Summer riding. My deepest thanks goes out to Adam Aufiero, Phoenix Cycles in Framingham MA for contributing the skills I lacked to help bring my vision to reality.

Attachments

• Optimized-IMAG0196.jpg
    Optimized-IMAG0196.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 312
With so much weight stripped off and the with the Mikuni's and the unrestricted exaust, she's really fast...a blast to ride.

Attachments

• Optimized-IMAG0199.jpg
    Optimized-IMAG0199.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 304
Back
Top Bottom