This is kind of embarassing to admit, but...

03rangerxlt

Been Around the Block
This is kind of embarassing admit, but today I rode a motorcycle on the streets (subdivision doesn't count) for the first time ever, about an hour ago. I've been a member here, and working on my bike, since about November 2010, and I recently went to a Basic Rider's Course at the Honda Training Center here in Georgia.

Sadly, my bike is still not done. Last week I went over to a buddy's house, and road his 2009 Dyna Superglide Custom around his subdivision, but I didn't see any traffic with it because I didn't have my "class M" yet. I got my motorcycle endorsement added to my license this past week, so today I ventured out of the safety of the subdivision.

Holy crap it was a blast!

At the rider's course, I learned on a 230 dual sport. The bike seemed light and nimble, so the Harley is a big change. But after getting out on the road and being able to put some speed on and get in some curves, it felt better. It makes me crazy though waiting to get my bike finished! I can't imagine how my bike, a 1972 CB500, is going to feel like after pushing around that Harley.

Damn, I want to ride!

I recently took my dads honda Valkyrie 1600 out to get it inspected (he's still layed up from crashing it a few months ago). I rode my cb750 over to his house, did some yard work for a couple hours till the shop opened, hoped on his bike and took off for the 20 mile found trip ride. Took some getting used to at first but I got comfy fast. Upon returning, I parked it and immedietly got back on mine to get home. What a difference! Mine now felt like a toy. Felt like that all the way home too.

But don't be embarrassed about learning to ride finally. I learned to ride by "borrowing" my brother's cb400 hawk while he was at work years ago and going up and down our long driveway. But hey, it was a start...

I can relate to being embarrassed. I got my endorsement back in March and have not had a chance to ride until a couple of weeks ago when a friend brought over his Harley and had me ride it. I was very nervous as his bike is fairly new and very different then anything I had ever ridden. I went for a short ride that day. He came over again this weekend and I went a little farther. I can't wait for my bike to be complete so that I can start riding everyday.

Don't be embarrassed I've never ridden either and have been working on my bike, a 74 cb550, since February. I'm really feeling the need to ride!

I am so happy you started this thread, I have always felt like I am doing things backwards. Building the bike and then getting riding time, it is good to know that others are doing the same thing.

I ride my cb175 all the time - there are probably people out there who think I've never ridden a motorcycle either. ;)

No shame in that. I bought and fixed up my KZ before ever having my license. Seller even rode it to my house for me. We were all without a license at some point.

Congrats on the endorsement.

Same here - bought a bike long before I had license to ride. Took it apart and put it back together before I rode it. Best way to go IMHO - you're always better off knowing your machine inside and out considering you're putting your life on the line riding it.

For many of us I think, that's how we started. I got my first CL350 as a pair of basket cases for $250, got it running, and got my permit and license. Otherwise, there would have been nothing for me to ride.

I think the common thread here is how kind and generous the HD guys are with their bikes! ;D

Congrats man!

The only one who said anything about riding an HD was the OP. The common thread was that a lot of us had project bikes before ever learning to ride.

Noexit: I think he was making light of someone else who mentioned that their friend let them out on their HD.

When I think about it, I am not embarassed, but a little sad. There is something about "first moments" that are so damn enjoyable, yet so overlooked.

My first drunk - easy, cheap, FUN! I miss the feeling of what it used to be like when I first started drinking. It was different back then.

My first time alone in a patrol car - The feeling of acomplishment, "Now I'm on my own to make the big decisions!"

My first gun - Such a cool feeling picking up that pistol and reflecting on the responcibility!

First time sleeping in the house my wife and I live in - that feeling of newness and excitedness

And my first time out on a motorcycle now gets added to that list of experiences you only get to experience ONCE!

It felt great!

While not my first time on a bike, the inaugural ride of the first bike I completely rebuilt was a "first" for me. Until that day I had never ridden it, but had poured 2 years into preparing it for that day. Priceless..

03rangerxlt said:
I got my motorcycle endorsement added to my license this past week, so today I ventured out of the safety of the subdivision.

Who says you need an endorsement to ride?!?! I went a couple of years without an endorsement. Granted, about 2 months after I finally DID get the letter on my plastic, I got pulled over. three tickets: speeding, no insurance, and no registration. i guess thats the price you pay...

Good stories! :)

I bought my first street bike before I got my license. Rode it over to a friends home and kept it there 'cause my parents wouldn't let me have a bike as long as I was under their roof. :p I was super excited, but kept it a secret.

My buddy bought a bike and I rode it to his place too. Together we'd ride over across the street to the plaza on Sundays to practice in the parking lot. We went for our licenses on his kz400. My bike was a 3 year old h2 750. Got married a few weeks later and proudly rode my h2 to our apartment! Still didn't let my folks know I had a bike though! :-[ Finally, a couple of months later, I rode it to my folks place and just walked into the house. My dad just shook his head. ;D It was a load off my mind to get it out in the open! :)

The "biggest deal" for me though was when I bought my '77 KZ1000. I had lusted after a Z1 for years! They were just plain BAD!! I was riding my h2 and wheeled by the Kawasaki dealer to have a look. It was the fall and I inquired about the KZ on the floor. We made a deal, I went home to convince my wife of 4 months that this was a wise purchase ::) , and picked it up the next day!

I can still remember my hands trembling as I started it and rode it off from the dealership. I couldn't believe I was riding my dream machine! On the way home I got a "thumbs up" from a car driver at a set of lights. I nodded back and grinned from ear to ear!

Still own that beauty. 8)

Still married to the same "beauty" too! ;D

I learned in the dirt and had no interest in the street. I got my motorcycle endorsement when I was 17 so that I could race enduros (don't even remember what I took the test on . . .) Got hurt pretty bad in the dirt 15 years ago and haven't ridden since. Have had the M endorsement for 23 years and it is finally coming in handy ;) Still miss the dirt and will likely go back but can't imagine not having a vintage street bike or two.

Nothing wrong with getting to know the bike before riding it- makes you appreciate it more. And, there is nothing quite like the first ride, on any bike- takes days to wipe the grin off.

I was a little different. I rode dirt as a kid and teen but alwaya my friends bikes as I was under the rule, "no 2 wheeled vehicles under my roof" I had a 4 wheeler and would trade it fro the day and ride my buddies dirtbikes while they rode the wheeler. Anyway, when I hit 32 I realized I had been not living under that rule for like 10 years and went and got signed up for the MSF course for my birthday. Best $450 I ever spent, and worst. I got my full unrestricted license with the idea I would get a bike in the following spring, lasted about 10 mins before my CM400 came up in kijiji and I just went and bought it. Wife was not happy and it took a while for her to warm up to it but it was a super deal, I rode the bike 20,000 KM in 2 months, I took it everywhere, then blew the motor in October on the highway. So I took it apart, found DTT learned how to rebuild it and..... the rest is history, I ride every time I can, heck I forget to return the movies just so I can go back out again!

Back
Top Bottom