Opinion on this rim? Cb750 rear.

jinsonphoto

So I have a cb750 that currently has a 16 inch rear wheel which I really dislike. I got an old parts bike in the hope of using the rear stock 18 inch wheel. Could I get some opinions on this rim? Obviously I would restore the rim if I keep it.
c89cd5d8337e6ee39edd61d9ffe9c9e0.jpg
739859e19a52047b71f4f4fb43749ba2.jpg

Do you think it's too far gone or do you think it's worth saving? If I wasn't on such a tight budget Id just go ahead & buy a new rim & spokes to lace to this wheel.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Also if you guys think I should go ahead & replace the rim could you recommend a brand & or vendors?

836301741e96a65bda904d81617f485a.jpg
b1aa4d86a8b804ab5ae9dc43aaa15c2c.jpg
a208870aabb073ad16a344d8ce764a21.jpg
468dfce997ead6bfd80f4d4f2f28e59e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a 750 wheel? The hoop would likely be ok, but the chrome is shot. Those spokes need replaced as well. Inspect the drum/hub for cracks. If there are none, it's fine and would clean up with some elbow grease. The drum inner surface loojs pretty glazed over though. You'll want to clean that up before reassembly.

I agree. That thing is pretty gnarly. I wonder if it has flat spots. You could try to fix some of the dents and powder coat it, but for that price get a clean, straight wheel from eBay. They can be had for cheap.

Oh I didn't even think about eBay. Are you talking about a used or new? The cheapest I see is $80 chrome rim with $50 shipping.
Does anyone have a recommended vendor?

Look on eBay for a complete wheel. CB500, CB550, CB750. You should be able to find a nice useable wheel for less than you'll spend on a new hoop.

Try MikesXS for aluminum rims. He also has spokes but I don't know how different your rear hub is compared to say an XS650.

If you can remove a pair of spokes from each side and measure them, someone here could compare them to an XS and see if they are close enough to work. If not you will have to buy the right spokes for that hub. I'm sure there are some on ebay.

Mike's XS rims don't work for 500~750, they are 40 hole hubs (XS is 36 hole)
Don't get a 550 rear hub, it's different to 750 and later ones are prone to cracking the iron brake drum lining (1976~78)
Those spokes will probably clean up fine. Rim is going to need blasting then paint or powdercoat

Crazypj. So You think if I sand blast it it would be okay? Even with those gouges?

You are right PJ. I thought he also had 40s but they are 48s and 64 which are not a lot of use to anyone. What has your success been with blasting chrome. My blast guy won't do it, and tells me to go and have it reverse plated chemically stripped.

The rim should be fine - the gouges aren't that deep and they're not going to cause any problems. I wouldn't invest any real money in the rim of course, but it will get you rolling while you keep an eye open for a replacement.

GL1000 rims are a good choice, as they're aluminum and 40 hole, but the rears are 17 inches I think.

Spokes can be had for reasonable prices on eBay, or $100 for stainless spokes/nipples from Buchanans.

Take some WD40 and #0000 steel wool to the chrome and see how it cleans up.

Now tell us how 'easy' it is to get them shining like that ;)
I've done several sets, bit of a PITA but way cheaper than new ones plus no chance of embrittlement compared to cheap chromed spokes 8)

And of course once the zinc plating is removed, the spoke will rust in no time flat. I typically wire brush them with a face mask on and if there is no pitting I get them zinc plated and baked in the plater's oven for 4 hours to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement. Chrome spokes also have to be baked and we have no way of knowing if cheap imports were done correctly.

I hate spending 100 bucks on stainless spokes but clean up time is so quick and the last for a lifetime too.

Cheap solution is wire brush and a coat of paint. Or drop them in evaporust to clean them up and then wash and paint.

I haven't GOT hundred bucks for stainless spokes ;D
Polishing will work fine as long as there isn't any rust on spokes (they look more oily/dusty than rusty?)

I just bought a set of cb750 rear spokes with nipples (zinc plated spokes, brass nipples) on eBay for $40. Go new. Cost vs time...

Wow thanks for all of the great advice guys!

I do have one more question that's semi related.. How do you get the "cover" off the side opposite of the breaks. The piece that's covering the dampers. I can't figure out how it comes off. Does it only come off after the bearing seal comes off? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom