Late model drums vs early model disks

Orgoth225

I am starting to work on my KZ 400 project and I was thinking of putting a front drum brake in place of its factory equipped disk. What would the performance difference be? Should I just use the stock wheel off of the "budget" kz400 model or should I go with a beefier front drum setup, or should I just leave it be? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of these setups? Thank you.

the kz400 drum carefully serviced and correctly adjusted will work very well indeed,plenty good for what is an 70-80mph bike

Thanks for the quick reply. Will I need to do any modification to the forks for the drum tonfit of is good as it is?

Best bet would be to get front wheel with drum from an S bike. I'm not certain but I'd think you'd need the lower fork legs too. You'll have to swap out right hand brake lever/controls from the master cylinder to a lever that will work with drums and you'll need a cable. Parts should all bolt up easily enough.

Drums are a popular cosmetic item for 70's era vintage cafes. They have a simple great old look vs. disc brakes.

Personally I wouldnt go backwards with a factory disc. The disc brake will stop better and work better and putting a drum on would be just for looks if you have to have it. If you are making your 400 a old vintage type restoration then get the drum if you think you can pull off the look. Otherwise keep the performance and invest that time into making another part of the bike cooler.

Back
Top Bottom