And then there were two.. 1976 GT250 Rebuild

Did a comparison for you. I found this old rear fender out beside some guys garage this afternoon. ;D The spot on the left side was cleaned w/ a few minutes of aluminum foil rubbing. The right side was done w/ about a minutes worth of rubbing w/ the cook top cleaner I told you about. ;D 8) They both shine ok, but there are far fewer scratches on the right.

Not an update on the bike per say, but a nice addition to my little shop. I work at a trade school, and I happened to walk out in the compound this afternoon and a couple of the staff asked me to help hoist this table into the GARBAGE COMPACTOR!!!! I said no, I'll help you load it in a truck so I can take it home. 6 ft. X 30 in. X 1 3/4 in. Maple "butcher board" top and it's on casters. Not the prettiest things, but I would hate to have to go buy one!

ddda316c78137d8a0498642ba2412ec1.jpg

teazer said:
I hate you already. I use Cardboard Aided Design work and use an angle grinder for steel surgery
But it's strong and bolts up to the engine hoist, so that's good. I make mine out of hardware store steel or aluminum and they are strong enough for what they are designed to do, but mine don't have to stand teh bending stress that a hoist creates. Mine sit on the bench and for that, aluminum is adequate.

Hey man I have always said that I make up for my lack of skill with CNC equipment =) I am very lucky to have access to the equipment that I do.. And thats what a figured on the stand, 60 lbs isnt all that heavy until you hang it way out there haha

ridesolo said:
Did a comparison for you. I found this old rear fender out beside some guys garage this afternoon. ;D The spot on the left side was cleaned w/ a few minutes of aluminum foil rubbing. The right side was done w/ about a minutes worth of rubbing w/ the cook top cleaner I told you about. ;D 8) They both shine ok, but there are far fewer scratches on the right.

Haha Theivin Basterds!!! I knew I shouldnt leave parts outside! ;P Looks like ill be picking up some cook top cleaner. Aluminum jobby does scratch a little bit, but it also helps alot to wash the part with soap and water before doing the buffing. Its mostly the dirt on it that does the scratching. With the cook top cleaner, did you just use a rag, or foil as well?

Oh, was that your place?

Wash it? Yer spoze ta wash it? Yeah, but all that additional water will make it rust more won't it? :eek: Ummm, ok. Yeah, probably would have helped a little w/ the scratching, but wasn't worried about scratching as the chrome will probably go bye bye anyway.

In all honesty I'm suprised that some heroine junky hasn't tried to cash in on some scrap metal yet. Guess it's just guys in mini cooper's I gotta watch out for ;) and yeah, that definitely won't end up as a piece of show chrome in the end will it?

The 76 frame is looking devoid of its soul. Only a few parts to pull off now. Poor little guy. Tune a Fish, you need to buy this thing and give it a new lease on life =)

be539c8b7b627b325121c02b75e0713c.jpg

hurco550 said:
In all honesty I'm suprised that some heroine junky hasn't tried to cash in on some scrap metal yet. Guess it's just guys in mini cooper's I gotta watch out for ;) and yeah, that definitely won't end up as a piece of show chrome in the end will it?

Show chrome? Hardly! I may be alot of things, but I'm not the kind of guy who'd get a free junk part from a buddy and then later on happily wave it's perfect magnificence under his nose. :mad: Nope, cut to fit, blasted, and painted it will be.

I think I just came across it on Google..... or maybe a dating site I used to frequent.... can't remember =)

Oh when does it end. I was just going to swap the whole front end over, but I figured that it's apart, so I might as well do fork seals while I'm at it. More parts on order soon =p

32aafa814fbb4ab42dc48a2455168280.jpg

Got my all balls neck bearings in. Not quite a "drop in" operation. The kit came with a piece of paper saying that the tube has to be modified to accept the bearing. Had to turn back the top bearing surface another .230". This is yet another reason not to burn bridges when you leave a job.... if you're lucky they still let you work on motorcycle parts in their machine shop=)

57b1f45f27b46704aa0361c65d9f0c36.jpg

After turning.
b6ddb2be2d494c5d6acb8406406b1077.jpg

Yeah it sure is. Seems heavier duty than the one off of my cb550

When yer meltin Oldsmobiles no need to skimp on materials, now you get 80 lbs of plastic 500 lbs alloy and a beer can size billet of steel out of a car.

Haha less than that now when they start melting down the f150 trucks they are making now out of aluminum =p

A neighbor hopped up on pills, crank and more than a bottle of whiskey bounced off my Ram with his F150. Pushed the sheet metal down the whole side of my Ram and stretched the driver's side leaf springs. That is all. His Ford was totally destroyed including his entire passenger side suspension which ended up at his rear wheels. I promise there is plenty of steel on that Ram. The F150, not so sure.

Back
Top Bottom