CB360 worst time to die

Revis

Back in the day we bought a 1974 cb360 for little to no money from someone that couldn't understand a problem. His claim was that it would get about 10-20 minutes into a drive and just die and remain unstartable for some time. He was confident that this was an electrical issue but I'm unsure that it was blamed on spark. When I inspected it after buying I noticed the rectifier was unplugged when I went to clean the carbs. Thinking that was the issue, I plugged it back in and started riding. Took it around town during the summer and it ran great. Finally took it on a long trip and sure as shit, just died out on the road and wouldn't start for damn near 20 minutes. Finally after kicking the hell out of it; it finally started and i took off immediatly. Came back and popped off the stator cover and it was damn near filled, which I didn't think was that big of a deal but thought it could be a possibility.
That's all the details I can remember for the really investigative builders, but for the guys that have ran into the same issue,

After the engine warms up and has been running for 20+ minutes, it dies and won't start, could this be definitive of coil, excess oil in the stator, point and/or condensor failure, or some other common form of problem in spark? It's definitely not fuel and air or compression.
Thoughts?

Could I remove the fuelcap and see if the actual holes are plugged? And how common are the ignition coils burning up?

Did you want to do some testing or should we just list all of the things it could be and talk about about it for a few days?

Get a service manual.

Look at your spark plugs.

Check for spark when it dies.

Test your coils.

Check the float bowl for fuel when it dies.

Go do those things and come back. If you wont do those simple checks we really cant help much.

Test the source coil.

If your stator should not be wet, find out why it is.

Typed words will not fix it. You're gonna have to get your hands dirty.

The stator area is open to oil. Not filled though. Sounds like you may have fuel in the oil. Does the oil smell like gasoline? Change it immediately. Diluted oil will kill the cam journals quickly.

My mike had a 15-20 minute ride then die. The carburetor manifolds were old and hard. Cold, the bike started and ran fine, however, after 15-20 minutes, it would start running poorly, then die, and could not be restart until it cooled a little. The intake manifols would seal cold, but as the warmed up, they would start leaking. New manifolds solved it.

The other possibility are overheating coils...look at them, if any wax like ooze is coming out or if they look melted, your coils are dying hot.

Also, as someone else pointed out, try opening the gas cap. If poorly vented, fuel will stop flowing as a vacuum in the tank builds up.

Attachments

• Left Carb Boot Crack S.jpg
    Left Carb Boot Crack S.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 197
Back
Top Bottom