1977 XS750 - Project Maggie Mae

DetroitRockCity said:
not trying to threadjack... but.

you think a CB500 is as fast as an XS750? the one i'm looking at really only needs a seat and some cleaning and maybe some rubber.

i have 4 CB500's and was just looking to expand my riding options.

thoughts and info on a XS750?

Yes, sorry for the thread jack. Get the Nov/Dec issue of Motorcycle Classics, does a nice comparison of the 500/750 CB,s

Haven't posted any updates in a while, but things are progressing. Lower triple tree and triple tree clamps are painted. Had to redo the upper tree, sidestand and centerstand and hope to have them done by this weekend. Started polishing the lower fork tubes and they are looking pretty good. Need to remove some rust from the upper tubes, but once that's done can start to reassemble the front end and move on to the engine.

Still not sure how people get so much because I spent pretty much all day working on the bike and feel like I got little accomplished. Did manage to get the carbs cleaned and painted (they'll get cleaned again for rebuild) and started polishing the carb covers. Also, painted my gauge support bracket and primered the headlight bucket. So much more to do.

Man the frame looks great! lets see some more pics, did you use "chrome" rattle can? i hear that the axquric clears are what you want to use when you use "chrome rattle can paints" it is super tuff and will help wiht the "shine", granted that is what i have heard, NOT tried... you may want to try it on a small piece... I would not sugest this for parts that move casue the way an Aquilic paint sets it will crack (spider web) if it move or gets hit hard... on a frame you should be fine... again i would sample on a small piece of metal... then go from there... looks great though man looks really good! MORE PICS!

JRK5892 said:
Man the frame looks great! lets see some more pics, did you use "chrome" rattle can? i hear that the axquric clears are what you want to use when you use "chrome rattle can paints" it is super tuff and will help wiht the "shine", granted that is what i have heard, NOT tried... you may want to try it on a small piece... I would not sugest this for parts that move casue the way an Aquilic paint sets it will crack (spider web) if it move or gets hit hard... on a frame you should be fine... again i would sample on a small piece of metal... then go from there... looks great though man looks really good! MORE PICS!

Thanks. Actually it is Rustoleum silver metallic paint on the frame. Haven't done as much picture taking as I should, so I will work on that.

JRK5892 said:
well it looks great!!! great choice... really makes it POP!!!

Thanks again. Means a lot coming from you and all the work you have done and posted here. BTW, taking your advice and redoing the upper triple tree. The light sanding didn't seem to do much for the haziness, so Round #3 coming up.

Spent a little time working on the bike today, but don't feel like I got much accomplished. I did put the triple clamp and clubman bars on the bike to see what how they looked. Took a couple crappy pics to give you an idea of where she sits currently. Did get an idea of what things need to be redone or done the first time and how things look (in case changes need to be made). The bolts in the bar top clamps are going to be polished or replaced with stainless along with the covers (indicated by the red arrow) will get polished. Hard to tell, but the bolt in pic #3 was polished and looks really good. Still have lots to do, but let me know what you think.

midlifecafe said:
Awesome frame color choice might change my mind about my project.

Thanks. Black was the original choice, but thought it might be too overpowering for this project.

Another quick update. Did some prep and polish work tonite to fix the tackiness I discovered with the front end mockup. The covers underneath the handlebar clamps were pretty disgusting, so I decided to fix them. They are not quite there, but definitely look better than they did. Couple pics to show the difference from Sunday, then progress on polishing the covers for the carbs (bottom left is relatively untouched, top middle is getting there and bottom right is almost done) and finally the painted headlight bucket.

I can see, I'm not the only one dealing with empty Christmas tree boxes ;D Did you use the epoxy paint? I like the shine on ur bucket looks better than mine :p.

IMOALE said:
I can see, I'm not the only one dealing with empty Christmas tree boxes ;D Did you use the epoxy paint? I like the shine on ur bucket looks better than mine :p.

Sorry, missed this post. No, I didn't use the epoxy paint it was just the glossy black Rust-oleum enamel.

Got a little done, but not much it feels like. Carb covers are now polished (not perfect so I will probably do them again). Realized I missed a couple spots on the carb main bodies and redid those. Spent the money on a Dremel sanding kit, so I will get my forks finished up shortly. Debating about whether or not to strip the upper fork tubes and polish them. They have some rust that I will remove, but I won't be able to remove the burs without sanding them. The rust is actually in the spot covered by the headlight bucket braces, so they won't be seen but I will know they are there. What should I do? Maybe I'll just leave it for something to do once the bike is together. Also gathering my list of bolts/screws I will need so I can order a bunch of stainless ones at the same time.

One more thing, I'm gonna try and use that new sanding attachment to get my battery box in good shape so I don't have to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom