73 CB100 Tracker Build

When I pressed the outer races for my all balls head bearings, the lower on went slightly inside the head tube a little so the dust seal seals against the head tube. The upper is flush with the head tube. I took a thin feeler gauge and it would not slip between between the seat in the tube and the race.

I used this threaded rod with large washers to pull it flush with the tube and then a socket upside down with a short extension and a dead blow hammer. I put the frame on some towels turned upside down with the head tube on a wood block padded with a couple of shop towels. Put some grease on the outside of the race and the inside of the head tube. Tap it and it will change tone when it bottoms out on the seat. I like the dead blow hammer because I can hear it bottom out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 510
Travivisual,

Thanks for all the feedback and information on the soda blaster.. much appreciated.. As far as the seat goes.. You never know what you are going to get with those ebay seats as far as fit and quality goes.. for my last build project I made my seatpan/tailpiece.. and then I made a second fiberglass upholstery pan that I had foamed and leathered.. I can throw some example pics if you want.. it worked well.. i didnt want to trust one of those ebay seats

-Luugo

Thanks for the tip 45exmayor, that way worked! bearings are sitting nice now.

Luugo86 - Yea i was just curious, I am still holding off and will probably make my own seat. thanks for the input

Since i have my front end dialed, I moved onto the 12v conversion and ran into a bit of a snag...

I need to keep the seal and cables from my cb100 stator and move it to my replacement cb350 stator. I saw some people just silicone the wires to the engine where the seal goes but i dont really want to do that. Can i cut and splice before the seal? will that work with the wire coating?

On another note, i think i need to tear the whole motor down soon too before i finish the build. once i opened it but it had some gray/brown slush in the casting. I cleaned it before I put oil in it in the first place. probably has been broken down since the 70s.

My bike came with the exhaust missing, how is this suppose to mount back here? in the repair manual i cant find anything.

Attachments

• 19562424229_4c1270a441_o.jpg
    19562424229_4c1270a441_o.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 525
  • 19753719141_59bc55b05e_o.jpg
    19753719141_59bc55b05e_o.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 505
  • 19749039875_7caa28b820_o.jpg
    19749039875_7caa28b820_o.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 514
  • 19722861826_c784184b4f_o.jpg
    19722861826_c784184b4f_o.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 515
i know im late to the game on this one. but really like the paul smart color scheme.
http://kdicycles.com/ check out this color scheme. little more saturated than the paul smart bikes, but damn it looks hot.

The 7 inch one will look to large on the small bike. Any of the others will look fine, jus depends on what final look you want. The one with the halo will make the bike look more modern. Be sure what you get had an H4 bulb mount so you can use a led light if you want.

Looking to run these guys as my signals, besides the relay at the bottom is there anything else that i need?

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-lighting-parts-mini-black-rectangle-led-turn-signals-blinkers-tl-led047-bk.html

Relay
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-lighting-parts-universal-dot-approved-flasher-relay-24-0005.html

Depending on how you wire the flashers you may need this diode https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/motorcycle-accessories/diode/. It goes in the wiring from the blinkers to the indicator light on the speedo. Without the diodes the power will feed backend all four blinkers will flash at once. If you need it I will postman drawing of the circuit. Also, it might be simpler to wire using a 2 pole relay that just has power in and signal out. Wiring takes more time than anything else.

I wired mine like this used triple female terminals for my project. http://www.cycleterminal.com/bullet-terminals.html
Since I was doing a complete rewire I got a crimper. It was slow going but I ended up,with all new terminals and each wiring run is only as long as it needs to be. My here are no splices to fail later

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    989.9 KB · Views: 482
sparckmoto relay is less than half the price + the turn diode thingy + you will help feed a fellow DTT-ers children at christmas time.

Perfect, that makes sense. Just saw the "Ignition Coil or Headlight Subharness" on Sparck moto, is that something i should have as well?

not exactly sure bout the sub harness but you will have to email matt specifically about the turn signal diode. he dont advertise it on the site.

Hey Bud
great build. im actually building one of these little machines at the moment too. (just started really) see topic http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65546.0
what coil are you going to run with the 12V system?
im going to run a Oregen Moto battery eliminator and reg/rect. ill see how the standard generator handles this and maybe upgrade later to a ricks high output unit?

cheers
Adam

Thanks Adam...

I went with a coil from a YAMAHA XT600, it was suggested to me from Sparck Moto. I bought their 12volt reg/rect too. I bought a used cb350 stator and it fit right in, just using the stock plug. That's what i am currently working on now. Looking for lums/wire harness to really move any further.

Not sure if the lil stator can pump enough juice to eliminate battery but i really don't know.

Ill check out your build!

Roots265 said:
Hey Bud
great build. im actually building one of these little machines at the moment too. (just started really) see topic http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65546.0
what coil are you going to run with the 12V system?
im going to run a Oregen Moto battery eliminator and reg/rect. ill see how the standard generator handles this and maybe upgrade later to a ricks high output unit?

cheers
Adam

Its been a little bit, but I have some things to report!

Got a bunch new parts it!

Bars
Speedo
New Brake & Clutch Levers
New Handle bar controls
Head light
rear shocks are on the way
And a bunch of electrical stuff for my 12volt conversion

I installed the 350 stator, it was super tricky to get the oil plug to fit on from the original cb100 stator. It makes me feel a lot better about it, i know some people just used some sort of silicon but if i need to open it up for any reason I would like that option. Just need to solder it up to the stock plug. Been really sitting on electrical to be honest, want everything to be done right. Finally made an oder to cycle terminal and got what I needed.

Now i just need to wire it all up and make sure she works, then onto the next phase!

Oh! also found a paint chip for the frame, its in one of those photos.

Pulled out my old tail light that I had on my Sport Classic, going to get that re wired as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7239.JPG
    IMG_7239.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_7241.JPG
    IMG_7241.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_7244.JPG
    IMG_7244.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_7248.JPG
    IMG_7248.JPG