LSx Miata

K4

Did the conversion back in 2009. 2000 Miata, modified 2004 LS1, T56 Tremec & Getrag diff. Went with the V8Roadsters kit.

Engine just after getting it home

Used an LS2 waterpump to get more clearance. Had to machine the alternator bracket 0.760"

Engine dis-assembled, new cam, some head work, modified oil pan, LS6 intake.
Finished, mounted with tranny on new K member (part of V8Roadsters kit)

Interior had to gutted for firewall & tunnel mods

Car prep'd before the cutting, grinding and welding. Tunnel opening had to be widened about 2", and some other metal had to removed, patched/re-enforced.

Seam sealer on all welded areas

Firewall repainted, gold foil is a product that reflects 78% back... need to keep the cabin temps down

Support brackets welded in place after pinion angle was set

Shifter pops up 5/8" back from stock

Made a bracket so the stock Miata P/S unit could be reinstalled

Hardest part of the project. 121 wires, won't do this again. I'd buy the completed harness

Exhaust was made up from a Jegs universal 2 1/2" kit with a crossover

Measure, cut, fit, tack & weld

Magnaflows in the rear

Finished pics

Holy shit, I bet that thing flies. How do you keep from burning up your tires LOL. What did you have to do to the suspension up front to hadle the weight of 4 more cylinders? If it wasn't for the license plate you wouldn't know from looking what was hiding under the hood, however the minute you hit the gas everyone would know.

Is it weird that I find myself attracted to your car? Like in a "let's hump" kind of way... ???

Seriously badass man. The work you put in is top notch. .....slow clap....

Plenty of power (382hp). You already guessed it... tires are the weakest link. I've gone through two sets in just under 16k miles. The Getrag differential has the G80 option (LSD), and you still have to burn the hinds in second, back off and then you're hooked up. I'm not much for drag racing, so no 1/4 mile times. The car weighs 182.2 lbs more than stock, thanks to the aluminum LS engine. Weight distribution is 51.2% front, 48.8% out back. Its a blast to drive! It'll cruise all day and gets over 34mpg on the road. Bury the pedal and the mileage goes to 18mpg.

o-face-ani.gif

Where in Michigan are you? I want a ride! :)

I've always been a big fan of the "too much motor for that car" way of thinking. I've actually been toying with the idea of scratch building a chassis, along the lines of the Ariel Atom. The Exocet has also piqued my interest a time or two ;)

Thanks guys.
Car's in storage. Finally got a chance to start the engine. Takes a couple of minutes for the PCM to know what's happening (battery was disconnected), but then it roared. Still can't drive it... salt on the road :( . Looking forward to better weather.

Wow, that is beautiful, looks like you did a great job and didn't cut any corners. I have been wanting to do this to a Miata for a long time. Like many people the Shelby Cobra has always been my dream car, but I love anything with that same spirit.

Do you take it to any car shows? I'm in IL I would love to see that thing in person!

Thanks, appreciate the kind words.

No plans to show the car in IL. Good luck if you go ahead with your conversion. You won't regret it.

I'm only about 2 hours away and go to Michigan every now and then. I might have to plan a Bell's Brewery tour / car show trip if you are going to have it in a show. I am pretty far away from doing a conversion of my own, I have to get my bike done first, not to mention finish school and start making real money again (change of careers). I can dream though!!

Thanks guys.

Back in December the temps got up to 40deg. Fired up the Miata.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fzA0XEwmkA&feature=em-upload_owner

Back
Top Bottom