1986 xr-z50r big wheel hellride

Re: 1986 z50r restoration hellride

Not yet. Still collecting a few parts. ;)

Not sure how I'm not yet signed up to get notices on this hellride but I am now

Haha. It's still sitting in a prominent spot on the bench. Four more weeks of school and then we roll.

Re: 1986 (xr)z50r big wheel hellride

Okay. So I went to Mid-O loaded with Z50r parts hoping to make some decent loot. While I broke even in my investment, with three mostly complete bikes to spare, I walked away feeling like the market was just not strong enough to warrant putting the time and money into a restoration. For one, guys don't seem to be interested in restorable parts. They want parts already in good, original condition. I say fuck that. So, on that Saturday eve, I put out $10 for a crappy XR80 roller with the intention of converting this Z into a gold wheeled big wheel. In the words of Mr E, "That's gonna be illegal grade fun."

Here we go with a big wheel conversion XR-Z50r:

First order of business is to trim the frame axle tube by 10mm on each side to accept the XR swing arm:

77150-230718141506-4128370.jpeg

Next is to fit the front end. Now, one way to do this is to swap stems. Which, if any of you know, requires grinding through the welds and pressing the stem out of the bottom triple. HAHAHA. Too much work. Instead, like a guy with a lathe, I decided to put a spacer on top of the upper race. The spacer is machined to include the dust cap as well. I figure, for a bigger person having the handlebars and upper triple spaced above the frame is not such a bad thing. The spacer could go below the neck just as easily.

77150-230718141503-4124904.jpeg

77150-230718141504-41261649.jpeg

77150-230718141505-4127497.jpeg

Here it is on legs.

77150-230718141508-41292039.jpeg

The rear shocks will need to be addressed. The pick shows the rear wheel not dropping because of the jack stands, but regardless the rear needs lift. Have two options: (1) 14 in shocks replace 12 inch shocks, or (2) the swing arm (lower) shock mounts move forward. I'm leaning toward replacing the shocks since these are old and beat anyway.

Irk how many builds do you have going on at any one time? I am literally staggered by your productivity and creativity, it's really impressive. Plus, I want your garage space. Please, and thank you.

The Jimbonaut said:
Irk how many builds do you have going on at any one time? I am literally staggered by your productivity and creativity, it's really impressive. Plus, I want your garage space. Please, and thank you.

Haha. Well, I'm a teacher on holiday, so if my kids aren't trying to kill themselves, I get to build shit. I'm fortunately in a relationship where the female likes to do her thing unencumbered by her man as much as me. Plus, I trained her going through a BFA and MFA in Studio Art, which translates to 18 hours a day in the studio. ;) And right now I have 4 builds going on. The chopper is almost done. The trike is halfway done. This is a slow burn. Who knows, but it will go into the spring most likely. The DR370 runs and rides, so really that bike is more dress-up than project build. At least that's how I justify it. The trike and this bike will either go to the kids or get sold at Mid-O next year so I can build something else. ;D

irk miller said:
Haha. Well, I'm a teacher on holiday, so if my kids aren't trying to kill themselves, I get to build shit. I'm fortunately in a relationship where the female likes to do her thing unencumbered by her man as much as me. Plus, I trained her going through a BFA and MFA in Studio Art, which translates to 18 hours a day in the studio. ;) And right now I have 4 builds going on. The chopper is almost done. The trike is halfway done. This is a slow burn. Who knows, but it will go into the spring most likely. The DR370 runs and rides, so really that bike is more dress-up than project build. At least that's how I justify it. The trike and this bike will either go to the kids or get sold at Mid-O next year so I can build something else. ;D

Any time the wife shows even the vaguest interest in anything I thoroughly, unsubtly and dramatically encourage her to take it up as a hobby. Pottery, oil painting, inter-continental travel...once she starts rolling her sleeves up and getting stuck in then it justifies me sloping off for days on end without fear of reprimand. Even enrolled her into motorcycle lessons - she was doing great while things were carpark-bound but as soon as the instructor said it was time to get on the 600cc Shadows and go for a barrel down the highway she turned white and legged it. So much for that.

Got the ‘86 replica seat cover... because restorations.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_1461.JPG
    IMG_1461.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 339
This. Is. Cool.

#midohio2019isgonnaberediculous

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's awesome! I think I saw some of those on a Z50 website somewhere. My son is wanted to do it for a long time I'll have to show him these pictures.

Back
Top Bottom