'72 CB350 K4 - 'ol no.7 - Swingarm progress

Re: '72 CB350 K4 - 'ol no.7

Well, if I can swing it financially (buying a new car, and have to be in my buddys wedding here soon, being a lame ass grown-up, blah blah blah) I may have my bike done by the time I get there also. If so Im riding in. Ill let ya know when Ill be there and we'll get it together. Bike or no bike.

I love all the bits that make this thing yours. The acrylic, the plaid, even the sports tape (which I may have to steal just because). This thing will surely turn heads with that vinyl.

Thanks guys, Cresent, thats what I love about all of these builds on here, I really want to start a thread with side by side comparisons of the builder and his or her bike, that would be awesome! Amazing how these machines are shaped into each persons likeness. I'm so excited to make progress on this dame I even put down my beer and test fit some of the vinyl to see how it looks. I must say, I was pleasantly suprised with how the super matte paint looked against the white (and even the blue paper? is that wrong??) but I still think I want to spray it satin to match the satin front forks. Anyways, here's a few iphone pics:

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Beautiful. I like the matte black, tough as hell, don't care what you think look. Problem is it is hard to keep clean, and this build looks way to classy for the dusty all the time look.

I generally dislike the flat black anymore, but with those decals... pretty bitchin man.

11:02pm - April 19th - 6 cb350's in the first 6 cafe threads?! thats gotta be some kind of record! I agree Cresent, it needs just a bit more class. Not too much of course, but the satin will make it I feel. Urg, need more time in the day, hate waiting through work to get into the garage.

Alright, got a bit of progress done tonight, cleaned up the side covers on the left side of the motor after losing the starter sprocket in the depths whilst attempting to polish it up a bit. Got everything in its right place again and looks to be working smoothly. "Poured" some starter fluid into the carbs and had the pleasure of listening to 5-7 seconds of jaw rattling bark from the 2-1. Looks like he new points assembly and plugs are gapped correctly (enough) so I'm feeling good about mounting the tank ad firing her up for the first time in over a year. While I'm waiting for the tank and seat paint to cure, I think I'll take the right side cover off and do the same treatment. I love the polishing set-up we've got now: 150 grit sandpaper to remover deep cuts, 3M red buff wheel (looking for a replacement), and polishing wheel with red polish. Thats it. Gives it a near mirror sheen, I like to refer to it as "vintage shine". Have a couple of bits in the works for tomorrow so look forward to some updates...

101_0266.jpg

101_0267.jpg

101_0263.jpg

101_0263.jpg

101_0269.jpg

Whoops, didnt mean to double post the side cover, here's the pic I intended:

101_0268.jpg

A bit more progress today, I'm goin to try real hard to update daily with photos until this thing is done, and then some. Last year while riding through the beautiful streets of center city Philadelphia I hit a nice pothole which dislodged one of my fuel outlets on my petcock. I was able to fit it back in but it was always loose after that. Sooooooo, I called on a buddy who is a dream on a metal lathe and had him make me up a new one out of solid stock brass. Press fit it into the petcock and it fit perfect. Took some shots of course of the process.

missing bit...
101_0276.jpg

Solid brass stock
101_0278.jpg

Drilling the outlet
101_0282.jpg

Almost there...
101_0283.jpg

Arbor press to press fit
101_0284.jpg

fit.
101_0285.jpg

LED lights came in today as well so I'll be replacing all the turn siganls and guage lights either tonight or tomorrow

Pretty much the coolest shit ever....
I am jealous yours is looking so near complete.
Once that satin/clear coat goes on and everything snaps back into place your going to be the coolest bastard in Philly...

alrighty, new day, new update...

Got some LED's in from China yesterday and started fitting them in tonight. The bright white units work a dream in the speedo as well as in the high beam indicator in the headlight bucket. Ran into some issues however with the yellow LED's for the turn signals.... put one in, tested, seemed really dim and flashed extra fast..... replace the second one (on the same side), test, REALLY dim, dosnt flash at all. I have to go back and make sure I bought them with the correct voltage rating. But the white ones work so well! Anyways, may have to locate some new indcator bulbs, or diagnoe the probem with the signals.

new bulbs. Yellow on the left, white on the right
101_0286.jpg

Replaced original, same bayonette fitting
101_0304.jpg

...and lit
101_0303.jpg

More on the new electronics set-up tomorrow, now its time for sleep.

Bobdot said:
alrighty, new day, new update...

Got some LED's in from China yesterday and started fitting them in tonight. The bright white units work a dream in the speedo as well as in the high beam indicator in the headlight bucket. Ran into some issues however with the yellow LED's for the turn signals.... put one in, tested, seemed really dim and flashed extra fast..... replace the second one (on the same side), test, REALLY dim, dosnt flash at all. I have to go back and make sure I bought them with the correct voltage rating. But the white ones work so well! Anyways, may have to locate some new indcator bulbs, or diagnoe the probem with the signals.

new bulbs. Yellow on the left, white on the right
101_0286.jpg

Replaced original, same bayonette fitting
101_0304.jpg

...and lit
101_0303.jpg

More on the new electronics set-up tomorrow, now its time for sleep.

if you are dealing with a standard 12v flasher relay, it requires a certain amount of amperage or voltage draw to work the switch. a flasher relay works like a fuse, by "overloading" and turning the voltage off, then cooling down and turning on again, and so on and so on. LED's draw a very small percentage of the power an incandescent bulb draws, that's why the flasher doesn't work. have you ever seen a car with either the front or rear turn signal out and the other bulb flashed real quick? same principal, your system thinks one of your bulbs is missing or burned out hence the quick flashing, and when you have two LED's installed, they dont draw enough voltage to trigger the relay. look into a 12v flasher made specifically for LED, or some sort of voltage drawing device like we use on vintage
VW's.
hope this helps...

great work so far! I'd have to (also) add my voice to the "no flat black" faction, and suggest several coats of satin clear to protect your decals (and great work on the ducati inspiration) and give you a real-world finish. Can't wait to see it together.

ian

bikeboy said:
great work so far! I'd have to (also) add my voice to the "no flat black" faction, and suggest several coats of satin clear to protect your decals (and great work on the ducati inspiration) and give you a real-world finish. Can't wait to see it together.

ian

I used a flex and flat clear on my bike and it looks great and makes it easier to clean

31337figher said:
Sweet ass LEDS! where abouts could i score some of those!

Got them off ebay from a mega-seller in China. Just looked for the sellers store and it looks like they're cleared out...weird...BUT here is the item listing: "2x Super White T4W Ba9s 1895 4 LED Bulb Light 2 pcs 12V" Ba9s is the type of mini bayonette style.

56 - thanks for the info! It helps a ton. I'll start looking into that.

Gorejess, i'll be looking into that as well.

56 - Do you reckon this will do the trick?: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?webCatId=20&webTypeId=300&navTitle=Electrical&navType=type&prodFamilyId=25862&stockId=212393&ref=gmc

Seems simple enough.

man you do some awsome work! i am loving the paint and decals! looks great! the LED replacemtn bulbs i can not belive i never though of that!

bikeboy said:

ian

Thanks Ian, I agree with the real world finish. Only thing with vinyl is that it only lasts so long (5-7 years) before it starts to yellow and crack. I dont plan on selling the bike anytime soon, plus my tastes do tend change every so often so it might be nice to just be able to pull it off and try something different. We shall see...

Thanks Joe, with your seal of approval I can die happy!

Back
Top Bottom