Hindu/Indian parts

Dingo

peace and grease
For those of you that don't know I live in Mexico. Lately I've noticed a lot of Keeway and Bajaj bikes, they've been around here for a while, they're not really what you'd call a looker and always considered cheap/disposable type bikes. But here's the thing one brand is backed by Benelli and the other one by kawasaki. So here's where it get's interesting at least to me there's some of these bike that have remote reservoir shocks. Like these ones:

dbo2288fh.jpg

They seem to be around 12 to 14 inches long, do you guys think these would work in say a cb400f?

it depends, some of those resevoir shocks don't actually have resivoirs, they are just cast to the shock body for looks. need to check them out to make sure they are real, then I have read you should change the oil in them out and check all the seals, after that they can be decent for the cost.

I called the dealer yesterday and they've told that the shocks are in fact nitrous filled, they call them Nitro-X or something like that, couldn't get the price but they said they would call back as soon as they knew it.

carnivorous chicken said:
Just out of curiosity, how does one determine the religious affiliation of motorcycle parts?

I was talking more of the nationality of the parts, but next time I see one I'll have an in depth talk concerning they're religious affiliation LOL

Now it really depends on where you're located, if you go to Mexico city or to the border towns you can find a lot of "replica" things now not so much. But we still get our fair share of shady goods.

Anyway quality seems to be a little better with the indian manfucatured goods than with the chinese counterparts. Atleast here the indian bikes are a lot more plentiful than our "Mexican" chinese manufactured bikes.

carnivorous chicken said:
Just out of curiosity, how does one determine the religious affiliation of motorcycle parts?

Haha I was wondering the exact same thing

Had an interesting theological talk with the parts today and found out this:

The shocks are around 13-14 inches long and supposedly nitrous filled. So in the length department it's about the same as the ones in my bike.

On the weight side, the original bike according to the brochure has a "net weight" not dry weight of 120 Kg, about 265 pounds.
The wet weight is 248 Kg In pounds about 546, I seriously have no fucking idea how a bike doubles it's weight with just fluids.

The CB400f weighs some 180 kg wet. So specs on both are close-ish.

What do you guys think, could curry work with sushi?

Shocks are the same ones as in this bike:
Bajaj-Pulsar-135LS-BikeAdvice-3.jpg

And about 40 bucks a pop. For the price I'm tempted to buy them.

Those shocks are ubiquitous in India and cost a little over $20/set new locally.

They aren't great but they do work, but they're also made for slow riding on crappy roads for people who generally expect a marshmellow-like ride. There are models for different bikes...Enfield uses them, they're on Indian bikes like the Bajaj Pulsar pictured or the TVS Apache, and I think they're on the small Japanese bikes here as well. Since you have the specs and they fit your application, you're probably on the money.

No way a Pulsar weighs 500+ lbs wet, lol. They still feel like bicycles with full tanks.

I don't think the shocks are rebuildable in any fashion but I could be wrong.

I'm thinking the brochure had some parts lost in translation, because they're way off on some points.
We don't have the best roads in Mexico either. But at least they feel a lot more stiff than the ones currently on. Seriously my back suspension is so shot that when you try and kickstart it the bike bounces around.

My experience over the past 10 years of dealing with India / Taiwan /and now China is that in the main quality has improved significantly on MOST parts.

That said - anything that requires close tolerances / quality material - of a mechanical nature is still way behind.

Metal bashing and casting - The Indians seem to have a good handle on that. I bought a batch of alloy Monza gas caps - they were made to an English pattern and are pretty good. Castings are not porous and the finish / polish is also good. My pal has imported a batch of steel and alloy "replica" tanks. Quality has been good, finish just about OK - you take the word "replica" loosely ! More like "similar to". ::). Ditto with Replica Lucas 7" headlamps - price excellent and pattern spot on, but be prepared to repaint or rechrome the shells if you want an original type finish.

Also bought some alloy Chinese clip-ons - again pretty good quality and finish and good prices [ obviously ]. NO comparison with Tarozzi - but 40% cheaper.

Anything in the rag trade is generally pretty good - as they make for most Western companies anyway !

The shox have been getting a bad press here in the UK where they've been available for a little over 2 years now. Initially they LOOK the part, but are just not lasting and giving consistent performace.

As a rule of thumb - I'm steering clear of parts that are of a built up [ mechanical ] nature for the time being.

beachcomber said:
My pal has imported a batch of steel and alloy "replica" tanks. Quality has been good, finish just about OK - you take the word "replica" loosely ! More like "similar to". ::).

my tank is from india. no complaints at all, and amazingly fast shipping, considering how far it came from.

I'll shop around and what can I get down here, but still I have the itch to try out the Indian ones

Back
Top Bottom