Yet Another 400F build

Re: Yet Another 400F build - tank-stripe vox pop

neevo said:
Ian who did your boring and which 466 kit did you go for? Going to do the same on mine and currently looking at the $150 deal rather than the Aussie $300 one.

My mechanic organised the boring. The going rate is about $100 per pot. This kit is the max you can do on standard sleeves. I went the cheaper option as well. Time will tell I guess, but she runs fine at the moment.

Also any more info on the front end swap? What hub did you have to use? Does it sit higher than the original? Do you use the same triples?

Cheers.

Sure. Its from a cbr600F2. Just did the old swap the stem trick on the 600 triples and badda bing there you have it. Changed the bearings in the hub to take the bigger axle, and had some spacers made for my dual disks. Was able to raise the forks in the clamps to maintain the original height, and used the 600 clip-ons. You can just see the amount in the pic on page 1.

You thinking of swapping forks Ed? I have those lowers all set to post (tomorrow), but if you're thinking of something else let me know.

cheers
ian

bikeboy said:
You thinking of swapping forks Ed? I have those lowers all set to post (tomorrow), but if you're thinking of something else let me know.

cheers
ian

Not for a looooong time. Going to finish it as it is, ride it for a while then think about a modern front end. Can't afford it for this build unfortunately as the forks seem to be a good $500 on their own.

Also didn't budget nearly enough for the barrel bore which is required. Keep us posted on that 466 kit, seems like the price isn't a negative factor vs the more expensive Aus option.

forked

Time to tackle the fork rebuild. Just had to wait for the appropriate manual and seals.

forks.jpg

Good weather for painting today, so that's what I did.

primer.jpg

Coat of etch primer on the fork sliders, lower triple and hubs

Forks/triple got the satin black epoxy

satinForks.jpg

Hubs got the silver. Just need to clear coat them.

hubs.jpg

I should be able to start re-spoking soon, although I will need to replace the rear bearings first. Don't want to be pounding on my new paint. Onwards and upwards.

cheers
ian

...And here's some I prepared earlier:

newWheels.jpg

Haven't tightened the rear up yet because I'm waiting for a proper spoke spanner and some bearings, but the front is trued to about 0.2mm which is within spec, but the tension still needs tweakin'.

cheers
ian

crazypj said:
Cool, was building easier than you thought it would be?

I got a bit confused with the front, but the rear went much smoother ;D

Gotta learn to 'read' the holes in the rim. They really do point you to the right spokes.

ian

Just the standard 1.6 front and 2.15 rear Ed. I've ordered a pair of Roadriders @ 90/90, and 110/90.

I was hoping to go up a size each end, but it didn't work out.

cheers
ian

bikeboy said:
Just the standard 1.6 front and 2.15 rear Ed. I've ordered a pair of Roadriders @ 90/90, and 110/90.

I was hoping to go up a size each end, but it didn't work out.

cheers
ian

Didn't work out? Not a fitment issue I hope as I am planning on going up 1 f&r.

crazypj said:
I thought rear was 1.85?

hmm. you could be right pj. can't find a stamp on it other than the DID one. It's pretty rusted, but it does seem fractionally narrower than the new one.

cheers
ian

Got my wheels back:

tyred.jpg

I've seen these Avons on a few builds here, and I love the look of them.

ian

hmmm.

tempting ::)

boomie.jpg

Don't panic. I've spent too much on new rims/spokes/tyres to go back now ;)

...and what the hell were Honda thinking when they came up with these? "I know guys. we can use plastic swing-arm bushes. They'll be really cheap and... Well, they'll be cheap anyway"

bushes.jpg

This would have to be at the top of the list for anyone who's just picked one of these up as a project. My guess is they were used on a lot of other bikes of the period as well?

cheers
ian

Ian with the swingarm bush, is yours 1 piece all the way through? Mine was and I am looking to replace with bronze, just not sure if it should be empty in the middle.

neevo said:
Ian with the swingarm bush, is yours 1 piece all the way through? Mine was and I am looking to replace with bronze, just not sure if it should be empty in the middle.

There are two bushes, one in each end. number 270 in this diagram:

swingArm.jpg

These have been now replaced with bronze.

Are you thinking of part number 273 (the "collar") that sits inside the bushes? The pivot bolt then goes through this. It's the interface of the collar and the bushes that wears first, and it should just slide out from either end.

Yeah I am. So once the collar comes out there will still be bushes in either end?

If your replacing bushes do you have to replace the collar too?

neevo said:
Yeah I am. So once the collar comes out there will still be bushes in either end?

If your replacing bushes do you have to replace the collar too?

That right. Normally you only need to replace the bushes. The collar is hardened steel vs plastic :)

cheers
ian

Back
Top Bottom