Cl350 questions

bonez71

I know they dont make hardtail kits for my 71 cl350 besides i want to custom make my hardtail anyway. My question is does anyone know how or a guide i can use to build my frame jig? I plan to mock everything up and tack it in place real good so nothing moves and mock everything up make sure it fits, take it apart and take it to a professional to be welded and then piwdercoat it. On another note. Could i make a soft tailed bobber out of a cl350 without too much work? Railroad crossings are abundant here

I found this on the goggles. I have no experience modifying frames.
http://chopperhandbook.com/jigs2.htm

I was thinking about using the swing arm as a frame jig. I seen it done but cannot remember who or how? Im not going for custom frame just a back half

I've done that. I now have a jig, but I used to use the swingarm. It really works best if you want to stretch it several inches. Simply weld your swingarm solid then weld your new axle plates to the rear, then put in your frame rails. I'll try to find an old thread to link. I don't have a thread here on that build.

Here you go... I don't claim liability for all the misdirection it may cause, that was one of my first builds. The basic theory is sound though.

http://www.bobberforum.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3534

Well my cb350 frame has a stamped backbone. Heres the look i want....although i dont think theres a build thread for it

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437107022906.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437107022906.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 304
Is yours one of them without a cradle under the engine? I've seen them done too.. Can probably dig up a thread somewhere

Heres the frame way back when i got it. It should shed some light on what im dealing with. Of course i have an engine tank and a lot of other bits now haha. But this shows the frame better

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437154617561.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437154617561.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 307
Is something like this what you had in mind:

This was one of the bikes I got in a package deal with another CB350.
The rear of the frame had been chopped and the PO had a hardtail subframe built. It bolted to the swingarm pivot and motor mounts. Upper part needed to be welded to the frame.
I decided I didn't want to go in that direction. Removed the hardtail frame and sold it to another DTT member.

I can post other pics if you want.

That is perfect! That would be amazing haha. That would elimenate the need for a frame jig. Thats exactly what im looking for

Hardtailing a cb350 frame is a NIGHTMARE. You're better off finding an SL frame to modify or... Find a prebuilt hardtail frame. Something for a twin (Triumph, BSA, etc...) and change the motor mounts to fit your engine. The stamped steel CB frame is just not designed to be anything but what it is.

Also (no offense :) ) but PLEASE don't use the swingarm as part of the hardtail. There are a number of reasons why you shouldn't. I won't get into all that and clog your thread up, but... Do it right.

alzcbz said:
Is something like this what you had in mind:

This was one of the bikes I got in a package deal with another CB350.
The rear of the frame had been chopped and the PO had a hardtail subframe built. It bolted to the swingarm pivot and motor mounts. Upper part needed to be welded to the frame.
I decided I didn't want to go in that direction. Removed the hardtail frame and sold it to another DTT member.

I can post other pics if you want.

Thats actually pretty clever... Similar to the Triumph and Sportster "bolt on" units. Still dont trust the stamped backbone as a mounting point for a hard tail though.

Back
Top Bottom