1982 CB750sc NightHawk Build

wiwest

Hey guys,
Ive been lurking for a while and figured its time to share. This is my first ever build. I've had ita little over year and shes coming together.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1424589853065.jpg
    FB_IMG_1424589853065.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 287
That's how I brought her home. She's currently torn apart for paint. Starting some reassembly today. I have learned a great deal from this project so far. I'm sure I'll have some electrical questions soon

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 280
stripping and painting the motor vht engine enamel

Attachments

• 20151018_154452.jpg
    20151018_154452.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 293
  • 20151018_175957.jpg
    20151018_175957.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 273
  • 20151020_172707.jpg
    20151020_172707.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 284
some early shots of the fender, hardtail and sportster tank mock up

Attachments

• 20150214_115609.jpg
    20150214_115609.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 280
the original triple backbone was cut out and replaced with a single backbone by a local shop. Besides that and tig welding the hardtail on, everything has been done by me in my garage

Final assembly (hopefully) of the front and rear end. Front end has new fork seals, shaved one fork (going down to one caliper), progressive springs, All Balls bearings, shaved triple tree and painted with VHT roll bar and chassis paint. Waiting on rubber inserts for the headlight bucket. Rear end has new 44 tooth sprocket and drum brake pads. Single air bag shock from TC Bros and the seat is from La Rosa. Handle bars are off of ebay. New drive gear is a 17 tooth. Hard tail is from cycle one manufacturing (they're awesome). Rear fender is off of ebay, radiused in my garage with a cutoff wheel and 2x4s. New carb boots and jetted the bike to run better before tearing it apart but it still needs some tweaking. Found the sportster tank off ebay too.

Attachments

• 20151029_162812.jpg
    20151029_162812.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 284
  • 20151029_162804.jpg
    20151029_162804.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 277
Wiring is coming along. Where the hell to I mount the starter solenoid? Insulate it and put it in the fake oild take with the rest of the electronics? Thanks

wiwest said:
Wiring is coming along. Where the hell to I mount the starter solenoid? Insulate it and put it in the fake oild take with the rest of the electronics? Thanks

It'll be fine in there - it's not like a reg/rec unit that needs airflow to keep it cool.

Just try and keep the power leads from the battery / starter as short as possible.

Just stick it under the tank on the backbone. That the problem with those high mount tanks though, hard to hide shit.

hillsy said:
It'll be fine in there - it's not like a reg/rec unit that needs airflow to keep it cool.

Just try and keep the power leads from the battery / starter as short as possible.

They will both have to be extended maybe a foot each in order to reach the E box.

generalyen said:
Just stick it under the tank on the backbone. That the problem with those high mount tanks though, hard to hide shit.

lol, very true. All the cables would have to be extended quite a bit for that.

canyoncarver said:
Thanks for the tip on Cycle One Manufacturing. I had never heard of them.

They do hard tails and full customs frames for a lot of common Japanese bikes. I think they do sportsters too. I had questions when mine arrived and Kate was pretty patient with me.

Yeah that would be a lot of cable, you could go with a bigger battery box and store all your electronics in there.

generalyen said:
Yeah that would be a lot of cable, you could go with a bigger battery box and store all your electronics in there.

I ended up running new cable to the electronics box. Everything fits in it fine. Just need to straighten out the wiring to make it look better, finish the exhaust baffle and oil and filter to fire it. Thoughts on tie downs to secure wiring to the frame?

Got her all wired up using the "bare bones" model. I figured if I had problems getting everything to run it would be easier then having to deal with all the other accessory lighting too. Went ahead and put the starter solenoid into the fake electronics box, ran it with fresh 6 gauge wire. Threw the battery on the charger overnight tried to fire this morning and got clicks from the starter solenoid but no crank. Battery reads at 11.4, shit. Off to cycle gear at 10. I'll check back in later.

Back
Top Bottom